Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

iPhone - what sim in USA?

iPhone - what sim in USA?

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:05 am
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice
Default Re: iPhone - what sim in USA?

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
Cheers dude. I'm assuming I'll be able to get one of those in-store for $9.99 (out of stock on the site currently).

Two things that concern me:

1) It says 2 year contract!
2) I can't see any tariff info, e.g. if I can pre-pay for minutes/texts/data or if I'll simple get charged through the nose per minute/text/MB.

Any ideas?

ta!
Leo
Not sure mate, I'm in the same boat as you - I've just been researching micro sims as I'm moving to NY soon. I've unlocked my iPhone from o2 so it'll accept any sim card.

I've got an old nokia that is sim free and takes the old style sim card, so i'll use that when I first get there and hopefully some more companies will do micro sims.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

SuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to all

Have a look at simplemobile.com as well. My wife has a iphone4 with jailbreak and i use a simple mobile sim, basically unlimited for $50 a month. Cant go wrong
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:53 pm
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice

Originally Posted by SuperOwls
Have a look at simplemobile.com as well. My wife has a iphone4 with jailbreak and i use a simple mobile sim, basically unlimited for $50 a month. Cant go wrong
Looks brilliant, thanks for the link :sunglasses:
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about the microsim, you're adding an extra step to complicate things by doing so.

You can cut the thing yourself with a cutter for a few bucks, or head in to most malls and find some dodgy phone accessories stand where they'll probably cut it for you for a few bucks.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

Just been reading about people who apparently have sucessfully managed to get an AT&T GoPhone microSIM, changed an APN profile / IMEI or something and had calls, texts, data etc on a monthly rolling contract!!

That would be amazing if I can figure out how to do it
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

Here's the kind of thing I've been reading about: http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/06/iphone-4-pay-go/
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the kind of thing I've been reading about: http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/06/iphone-4-pay-go/
Just be careful downloading buying from uknown companies, especially giving credit card details & ore getting virus's/key logging software.

I always do extensive searching, to see who I am dealing with. Sometimes Card, payment will not even go through with these, foreign companies.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Frank, I'm not suggesting a foreign company, I'm talking about paying AT&T - getting one of their GoPhone sims, adding data to it somehow and getting it to work with my iPhone
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, I'm not suggesting a foreign company, I'm talking about paying AT&T - getting one of their GoPhone sims, adding data to it somehow and getting it to work with my iPhone
Leo, yes I realised that. Its the people using unlocking software & downloads from unknown sources.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how I did it.

I walked into an AT&T store. I asked for a GoPhone SIM. I think it was 'orange' which is the 3G (but double check on that).

They asked to see my phone. I said it was an iPhone and they said their computer would allow them to add that to the account. So I handed over an old Motorola Razr. They used that phone's identifier to set up the account.

I took the SIM card and punched it with a SIM card puncher i bought at Walmart for $5.

I then popped on the wifi from a nearby Starbucks and connected to http://unlockit.co.nz/ via the web browser (do this on the iphone). It gave me the configuration settings necessary for my phone.

I popped in the micro sim I had just cut, turned the phone off and on again, and ta da, it worked.

It helped that the ATT staff at the store were not sticklers for obeying the rules. Your mileage may vary on that account.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

I think the winner is the AT&T GoPhone although I just read that the data is throttled at 1Mbps! ugh.

Is there any win/win solution or do we just pick the best of a bad bunch?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Focused85 is on a distinguished road

During this summer i was with metro pcs. They gave me a sim card and it was 40 dollars a month- ulimited texts and internet and calls were cheap too!

:sunglasses:
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I think the winner is the AT&T GoPhone although I just read that the data is throttled at 1Mbps! ugh.

I don't do video or anything other than email and "normal" web browsing with my iPhone on AT&T GoPhone and for me it's not so much that it's noticeably throttled but that AT&T's network in Manhattan makes O2 look like something from the far future. The performance noticeably degrades as I head into New York and improves as I leave...
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find mobile phones, the system, the rates....heavily dependent on exactly where you will live and use the phone....and that really, it is, much like the internet, just shit in much of where ever you would want it.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ha. Nice.

My gf lives in NY and she said there's essentially a monopoly in most areas.

I've been spoilt for choice here and am currently with a nice little co with outstanding customer service, fast (and super low jitter/ping) connection and decent rates. I guess those days are gone.

I'm still thinking GoPhone is the best solution, even with the 1Mbps speed limit, I'll just have to suck it up until June

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.