Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

iPhone in New York - ATT, Verizon or Sprint?

iPhone in New York - ATT, Verizon or Sprint?

Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

gav2345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default iPhone in New York - ATT, Verizon or Sprint?

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to NY in Oct under an H1-B and I am going to pre-order the new iPhone 5. But I need to select a US Carrier.

Anyone recommend which carrier to go for? ATT, Verizon or Sprint?

Thank You.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone in New York - ATT, Verizon or Sprint?

Originally Posted by gav2345
Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to NY in Oct under an H1-B and I am going to pre-order the new iPhone 5. But I need to select a US Carrier.

Thank You.
Small, very unscientific sample, but everyone I know in the NYC area uses Verizon as they have the best coverage in this region.

http://www.cellreception.com/coverag...ork/page1.html
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone,

Thank You.
See here: http://static.ips.apple.com.edgekey...._US/index.html

Rate plans in the US are ridiculously expensive and limited. I have an unlocked iPhone and use AT&T (in LA) using the pay-as-you-go plans as I don't need data (never more than a minute form wifi here).

https://www.paygonline.com/websc/index.jsp

Not sure of the best carrier in NY but the costs are high for all of them.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Small, very unscientific sample, but everyone I know in the NYC area uses Verizon as they have the best coverage in this region.

Just checked that for my zip code and AT&T came last though I've never had a problem or bad reception with them. Odd.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't buy an iphone locked to AT&T because they won't unlock it to allow you to use a non-US sim abroad. Sprint and Verizon at least allow you to do this. Or you could go the route of getting an unlocked iphone.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

None. Nor the iPhone.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Not AT&T ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...p-couple-dies/
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on where in NY you're going to be living and working...it's a big state, someone living in up state is going to have a different opinion to one in NYC...

Anyway, I wouldn't bother pre-order because you don't know you'll even get a contract without any credit history, nor what kind of deposit they'd want from you.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just a random aside--the LTE in the iPhone 5 will not work in Europe, so even if you get an unlocked phone you won't be able to take it back to Europe and use it on the LTE networks there (though I gather the GSM should work). I think there are three variants of the iPhone 5, basically a US GSM/US LTE, a US CDMA (Verizon)/US LTE and an Asian GSM/Asian LTE.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti.../?fp=4&fpid=18
Old Sep 13th 2012, 3:18 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Was about to change one of my Verizon phones but noticed that the 'unlimited' data plan that I currently have is no longer available if I change phones. Think I'll stick with the Thunderbolt........
Old Sep 13th 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Was about to change one of my Verizon phones but noticed that the 'unlimited' data plan that I currently have is no longer available if I change phones. Think I'll stick with the Thunderbolt........
You can keep your unlimited plan if you change phones and buy the phone outright. You don't get to keep it if you take the phone discount. Talk to a verizon salesperson to see if they can give a discount off the full price.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bootle
You can keep your unlimited plan if you change phones and buy the phone outright. You don't get to keep it if you take the phone discount. Talk to a verizon salesperson to see if they can give a discount off the full price.
Another option is if your employer has a deal with Verizon. I managed to get unlimited data this way even though as an individual I wouldn't have been eligible for it.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:18 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bootle
Thanks for the tip!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:53 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Anyway, I wouldn't bother pre-order because you don't know you'll even get a contract without any credit history, nor what kind of deposit they'd want from you.
I believe Virgin are now doing iPhones for $30/ month, no contract. Not sure if they'll be doing the new one though. I gave uP waiting on them at Christmas and now they o and do the iPhone, doh!
Old Sep 14th 2012, 1:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I believe Virgin are now doing iPhones for $30/ month, no contract. Not sure if they'll be doing the new one though. I gave uP waiting on them at Christmas and now they o and do the iPhone, doh!
Precisely. The contracts with the big carriers have not been good value for money for a good while now..

The iPhone is a crazy price at Virgin, though. Not as crazy as some of the users, but--luckily-- there are some great Android handsets at reasonable prices available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.