Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Wikiposts

Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Originally Posted by nethead
Surely they must or otherwise those young girls would have been taken home to die from the hospitals they are in??

It is my understanding that they "take care of their own"......
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:07 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Prenatal tests don't show everything and not many would show if there was going to be complications in labour. I think but not postive that some would transport in the case of a medical emergency, but this is a whole other debate.
Prenatal screening can show a LOT of things that would cause complications during labor (Preeclampsia, Placenta Previa, breech birth and fetal anemia just to name a few) and by the time they need to transport - it could already be too late.

I agree, this is a whole other debate and I cannot judge them for their beliefs. However, the life they lead is not simple and idyllic it is harsh and sparse - that is ultimately the point I'm trying to make.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
It is my understanding that they "take care of their own"......

What do you mean?
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
What do you mean?

It is my meager understanding that they do not use hospitals or medication if someone is ill in the community, that they depend on prayer and doctors are not called in......I could very well be wrong....
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:11 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It is my meager understanding that they do not use hospitals or medication if someone is ill in the community, that they depend on prayer and doctors are not called in......I could very well be wrong....

So, supposing there were serious complications at a birth, would they simply let mother and/or child die? I hope this isn't so - it would be worse than the Dark Ages.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:11 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

So do they not use ANY medical services? No use of life-saving surgery or pharmaceuticals? Do they just lie down and die if they develop a life-threatening disease or if they have a serious accident?

I have to admit I know nothing except their philosophy and way of life except a few (perhaps stereotypical) snippest of information gleaned from TV and magazine articles.
I don't know exactly what each and every Amish community does as they all have different "laws" by which they live and these all vary in severity. I just know that their faith dictates that they shun modern conveniences and technologies - medical screening and preventive treatments are not actively pursued in the majority of Amish communities.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, supposing there were serious complications at a birth, would they simply let mother and/or child die? I hope this isn't so - it would be worse than the Dark Ages.

See leslie's answer....that is my understanding as well.....!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:15 am
WTF?

They're of the belief that life and death are "Gods Will" and not to be interfered with by man. I'm sure there are some exceptions made - and hopefully this particular part of their faith will amend itself in time.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie66
They're of the belief that life and death are "Gods Will" and not to be interfered with by man. I'm sure there are some exceptions made - and hopefully this particular part of their faith will amend itself in time.

Yes, that's certainly my understanding of their belief, at least the one's living around the area I grew up in Ontario. I dont know if anything will change though, their beliefs are very very strong and they are very committed to them.....
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:19 am
WTF?

I agree, but its their choice living in a free society, as it is our to pursue a further education. Their philosophy as I understand it and Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, is that the men are trained from a very young age to become farmers (from their forefathers) doing most of the farming duties, and the girls (women) are trained to help with some of the farm duties and also take care of the household duties. A bit arachic.....yes I agree.....but its a very simple life - they live a very "closed community" as the mennonites that I grew up with.....
Sounds like brainwashing, child labor and slavery to me. :scared:
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:22 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

And I find that reprehensible in a free society. Besides, how would further education hinder their farming abilities?
It would take up the time when they could be farming or performing other duties.

Ah well, each to their own, I couldn't be Amish, I like TV, the internet etc etc etc too much, I don't know how they manage.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:00 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

And I find that reprehensible in a free society. Besides, how would further education hinder their farming abilities?
That is not entirely true. They only give them a formal academic education up to 8th grade but don't forget, their 8th grade is more like high school level by American Standards. And they encourage their children to leave home before deciding to settle down and become Amish. They are only taken into the faith as an adult. If a child decides not to accept the Amish way then they are not shunned from their community. There are children who leave and go to university to study law or become a doctor, however, not very many because it is a growing community of farmers and carpenters. These children, who are now adults, are welcomed back with open arms, as long as they didn't take their Orders into the faith. Once you take on the faith as an adult you are expected to live by the rules of that faith. Disobey and you will be ousted.

And they do seek medical advice and help when issues arise that they need help with. They do have prenatal and postnatal care and some Amish communities have special clinics that deal with their children's genetic issues where doctors who specialize in genetic discorders come to help. I do find it disturbing that some are so quick to judge others just because they are different. these are a quiet, peace loving people that wouldn't harm anyone and yet someone has chosen to come into their community and murder their children just because they can. No, these children's deaths are no more tragic than the deaths of all the other children killed innocently in schools. What makes this different is it should horrify people enough to want to put an end to the violence in our schools.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

A lot (probably not all) of the Amish and Mennonite in the Lancaster area do have prenatal and care during childbirth. I know a few midwives who work in the area and most of the people they assist are Amish or Mennonite.
My children and I stay on a dairy farm in Mt. Joy, PA (Lancaster County) many years back. It was owned by Mennonites. We would sit on the front porch in the evenings after dinner and they explained a lot about their lives, cultures, schooling, medical, etc. Mennonites for the most part all attend school through high school and college. They use medical facilities and phones, television.

The Amish will use medical facilities if required. They will seek medical care from their own source first and that is not always backward. If there is a problem pregnancy they are not adverse to getting medical attention and the community will pay the hospital and doctor bill with the recipient then reimbursing them either in kind or with a barter system. While they don't own or operate automobiles they will accept rides if necessary and they will use the railroad.

As for shunning, you will find that in all religions from the Hebrew to Christian and all religions in-between.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like brainwashing, child labor and slavery to me. :scared:
Actually that is how life was for all humans until the advent of the 19th century. It is not brainwashing but a matter of family members being responsible for the welfare of the family.

It can be viewed the same as my mother having to go to work because dad's job didn't pay much. I was responsible for the welfare of my 16 month younger sister since I was 10 after school and after day camp in the summer. Just as I worked p/t at age 16 to earn money to pay for my school needs and clothing. Before that I babysat. It is called being a responsible member of the family.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:51 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I take your point but I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone living with this loser wouldn't have picked up that something was wrong. I don't buy the "he was leading a double life" excuse.

It's similar to the BTK killer in Kansas from few years back: it turns out there were all sorts of indications about Rader for years and no one did anything about it.
Judging by your posts matey, I've wondered a bit, you seem to have knowledge that nobody else has

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.