Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Wikiposts

Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:14 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Yep, this incident is getting far more coverage than the other 2 school shootings of these past weeks. The media has the bonus material of talking about their lifestyle ad nuseum.

Don't see the wife going to the funerals really. Would be too guilt ridden to face those families if it was me.

Its getting loads of press round where I am, cause I'm in PA, so its kinda hard to avoid.
BUT I think you are right in that, if this happened in some West Philadelphia ghetto school people would be reacting differently because they would be less shocked.

Its the shock factor of it thats hitting people more than anything. You wouldn't be as shocked at a shooting in some ghetto high school, but because its in some little wooden Amish schoolhouse people are more taken aback.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
You wouldn't be as shocked at a shooting in some ghetto high school, but because its in some little wooden Amish schoolhouse people are more taken aback.

I think it's also the fact that the Amish are ever so slighly excotic and thus more colourful and newsworthy.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think it's also the fact that the Amish are ever so slighly excotic and thus more colourful and newsworthy.
Yep, people are always going to be curious about them because they look like they live some kind of idealistic "Little House on the Prairie" life.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

A lot (probably not all) of the Amish and Mennonite in the Lancaster area do have prenatal and care during childbirth. I know a few midwives who work in the area and most of the people they assist are Amish or Mennonite.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:33 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

I understand that few Amish have medical insurance.

I hope that the parents of the little girls in hospital are not going to face huge medical bills.....if they were shot in the head then perhaps they may have brain injuries and need long-term care.

I'm sure that the Amish are too proud to solicit donations and may even prefer not to accept any.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

They are excepting donations EM, the old order Amish set up :
Nickel Mines Childern's Fund, c/o Coatesville Savings Bank, 1082 Georgetown Road, Paradise, PA 17562
and
Robert's Family Fund @ the same address
also memorial contributions to:
Nickel Mines School Vicitms Fund, c/o Hometown Heritage Bank, P.O Box 337, Strasburg, PA 17579

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Invitation To Killer's Wife (PA School Shootings)

Originally Posted by Leslie66
This thread is sort of making me sick. It smacks of hypocrisy. Where are all of the atheists/agnostics (myself included) who bitch and moan constantly about how out of control religion is in this country?

I think that all human life is valuable. The fact that the victims are Amish doesn't make these deaths any more tragic than the ones in Colorado last week - or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm saddened by the deaths of these girls because they were small and helpless and probably died feeling terrified and alone - not because they're Amish.

Some posters are making them sound like perfect people that live in some sort of Utopian society. I for one would NOT want to be Amish.

FWIW ....

The Amish do not educate their children past the 8th grade - keeping them ignorant keeps them from wanting out of the community.

They are notoriously inbred with many genetic afflictions associated to their closed lifestyle.

They do not seek or provide health-care for pregnant women - despite the risks to the mother and children.

I could go on and on but I don't want to go crazy bashing any one belief system - but to be very honest - If it were a bunch of Muslims living this way (and in many ways Muslims are much more progressive than the Amish) we'd be calling for their heads.
They're not so different from the Haddisic Jews, also having rules to live their lives by.....the girls marry at a very young age and often have up to 8 children. You see them all the time in NYC with a brood of young children with them. Anyone not toeing the line is excluded from the community.

The Amish are primarily a farming community, living off the land and trading locally. They presumably don't see a need for higher education as they're not going to be lawyers, accountants, research scientists etc.
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I think that all human life is valuable. The fact that the victims are Amish doesn't make these deaths any more tragic than the ones in Colorado last week - or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm saddened by the deaths of these girls because they were small and helpless and probably died feeling terrified and alone - not because they're Amish.
I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the thread on this when it happened a few days ago. I don't care what religion a child is, my heart aches for any poor little soul that has gone through this sort of thing. My heart goes out to their friends & families.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:43 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
A lot (probably not all) of the Amish and Mennonite in the Lancaster area do have prenatal and care during childbirth. I know a few midwives who work in the area and most of the people they assist are Amish or Mennonite.
Actually I was being lazy when I posted that. What I'm talking about is that they do not accept any genetic screening (even though they have a higher rate of birth defects) or utilize any of the modern prenatal care that is available. They do not have health insurance and they do not use hospitals. Having a midwife and a home birth is great, as long as there are no complications. However, how would they know if there were any complications (until it is too late) if they refuse testing? This is their choice and (I suppose) it is their right but they have a higher infant mortality rate because of it.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually I was being lazy when I posted that. What I'm talking about is that they do not accept any genetic screening (even though they have a higher rate of birth defects) or utilize any of the modern prenatal care that is available. They do not have health insurance and they do not use hospitals. Having a midwife and a home birth is great, as long as there are no complications. However, how would they know if there were any complications (until it is too late) if they refuse testing? This is their choice and (I suppose) it is their right but they have a higher infant mortality rate because of it.
Prenatal tests don't show everything and not many would show if there was going to be complications in labour. I think but not postive that some would transport in the case of a medical emergency, but this is a whole other debate.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:54 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
They're not so different from the Haddisic Jews, also having rules to live their lives by.....the girls marry at a very young age and often have up to 8 children. You see them all the time in NYC with a brood of young children with them. Anyone not toeing the line is excluded from the community.

The Amish are primarily a farming community, living off the land and trading locally. They presumably don't see a need for higher education as they're not going to be lawyers, accountants, research scientists etc.
And I find that reprehensible in a free society. Besides, how would further education hinder their farming abilities?
Old Oct 4th 2006, 8:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

So do they not use ANY medical services? No use of life-saving surgery or pharmaceuticals? Do they just lie down and die if they develop a life-threatening disease or if they have a serious accident?

I have to admit I know nothing except their philosophy and way of life except a few (perhaps stereotypical) snippest of information gleaned from TV and magazine articles.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
So do they not use ANY medical services? No use of life-saving surgery or pharmaceuticals? Do they just lie down and die if they develop a life-threatening disease or if they have a serious accident?

I have to admit I know nothing except their philosophy and way of life except a few (perhaps stereotypical) snippest of information gleaned from TV and magazine articles.
Surely they must or otherwise those young girls would have been taken home to die from the hospitals they are in??
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

And I find that reprehensible in a free society. Besides, how would further education hinder their farming abilities?

I agree, but its their choice living in a free society, as it is our to pursue a further education. Their philosophy as I understand it and Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, is that the men are trained from a very young age to become farmers (from their forefathers) doing most of the farming duties, and the girls (women) are trained to help with some of the farm duties and also take care of the household duties. A bit arachic.....yes I agree.....but its a very simple life - they live a very "closed community" as the mennonites that I grew up with.....
Old Oct 4th 2006, 9:04 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by nethead
Surely they must or otherwise those young girls would have been taken home to die from the hospitals they are in??

I expect the emergency services did not wait for permission from the parents in this tragic situation. I was merely seeking clarification from Leslie who said that they do not use hospitals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.