Reload this Page >

Investment Banking and Hedge Fund career opportunities in LA

Investment Banking and Hedge Fund career opportunities in LA

Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investment Banking and Hedge Fund career opportunities in LA

Hi all,

I am contemplating moving to the US, and taking a job in the Investment Banking and Hedge Fund industry. I really don't like the cold weather and I know that LA has some of the best weather on the planet. Are there any career opportunities here? I know that Wall Street has most of the Investment Banking and Hedge Fund career opportunities in the world, on this one street, but are there any in LA, where the weather is excellent?

I know that CA is known for it's tech and gaming, but if there are any Investment Banking and Hedge Fund opportunities, I would be very happy!

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investment Banking and Hedge Fund career opportunities in LA

What visa are you eligible for, or otherwise what right do you have to live and work in the US?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What visa are you eligible for, or otherwise what right do you have to live and work in the US?

I haven't got the right to live or work in the US yet, but I hope to get it in the future. Please don't reply by saying something along the lines of 'get the visa first, then look for the jobs afterwards', I am researching the visa also.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 12:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon
I haven't got the right to live or work in the US yet, but I hope to get it in the future. Please don't reply by saying something along the lines of 'get the visa first, then look for the jobs afterwards', I am researching the visa also.
With all due respect, you make a fair point, but given a history of time wasters on this forum, many of the members here, including me, are reluctant to invest much if any time in responding to such questions unless the OP at least acknowledges their visa problem, or better still explains a credible visa strategy.

BTW For work-related visas you can't "get the visa first". Without a job/job offer there isn't going to be a visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 15th 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Location is some what irrelevant if you're looking to move to the US and don't already have a means of living/working here.

Find companies, apply and hope for the best. Chances are you'll be ignored anyway, so only worry about it if you get a serious bite.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds from your previous posts that you have not started university yet.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It sounds from your previous posts that you have not started university yet.

I snorted my tea. Thanks.

(And no, the weather is not excellent here. Not varied enough. Where 80% chance of a storm, ie. some light rain, means 20% chance there will be nothing at all.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 15th 2014 at 5:00 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I am contemplating moving to the US, and taking a job in the Investment Banking and Hedge Fund industry. I really don't like the cold weather and I know that LA has some of the best weather on the planet. Are there any career opportunities here? I know that Wall Street has most of the Investment Banking and Hedge Fund career opportunities in the world, on this one street, but are there any in LA, where the weather is excellent?

I know that CA is known for it's tech and gaming, but if there are any Investment Banking and Hedge Fund opportunities, I would be very happy!

Thanks in advance!
LA doesn't have great weather. Weather in the San Francisco bay area is far superior.

Working in the investment banking field is a very competitive with 10s of thousands of layoffs over the past 5 years. Getting your foot in the door is extremely difficult even if you attended one of the ivy league schools. Few investment banking/hedge fund firms are located on the west coast but venture capital firm flourish in the San Francisco Bay area.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
LA doesn't have great weather. Weather in the San Francisco bay area is far superior.

Working in the investment banking field is a very competitive with 10s of thousands of layoffs over the past 5 years. Getting your foot in the door is extremely difficult even if you attended one of the ivy league schools. Few investment banking/hedge fund firms are located on the west coast but venture capital firm flourish in the San Francisco Bay area.
Aye, a cousin who got laid off last summer has only been able to get a part time admin job at a college.

She had been managing funds that had a cliebt minimum buy in of $6M...big company name in Boston too.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Plus more bots and automated high frequency trading in the future.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, a cousin who got laid off last summer has only been able to get a part time admin job at a college.

She had been managing funds that had a cliebt minimum buy in of $6M...big company name in Boston too.
Unless someone has the ability to talk people out of their money, have connections to businesses that need financing, a proven record of doubling the return of the market, or have a PHD with a proven record in statistical analysis, investment banking/hedge fund firms don't have much of a need for most people.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 15th 2014 at 5:42 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I Please don't reply by saying something along the lines of 'get the visa first, then look for the jobs afterwards',
We would never say that, because it doesn't work that way. You definitely need the job (a qualifying employer) first, then they will get the visa for you.

I am researching the visa also.
Good...what have you found out so far? Ultimately it will be up to the employer to sort out your visa, but it's good you're doing some research on your own.

All you can do is research potential employers, network, submit applications, etc....all the things you would normally do when job-hunting...and hope an employer thinks you are worth spending $$$ to hire and bring over to the USA. Oh, and of course you and the job must qualify for a work visa.

Rene
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for a hedge fund in the Cayman Islands so the job opportunities are definitely not all on one street.

Looking at the buy or sell side?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance of getting SISU out of my football club? Could you have a word?