Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Introduction and advice - to US from UK (US passport holder)

Introduction and advice - to US from UK (US passport holder)

Old Dec 20th 2013, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Antseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Introduction and advice - to US from UK (US passport holder)

Hi All,

I currently live in London, however I am planning on moving to the US. I have a US passport already (through my Dad) although I have only ever been to the US on holiday. I am a website developer, and understand my job is transferable which is a big plus.

I'd like some advice please.

For example, if I decided to move to the US (two real choices in Florida and California) in 2014, exactly what do I need to think about? Outside of the obvious things, such as money, accommodation and area.

Transport: Is my UK driving license valid, or do I need to do something else?

Employment: With my US passport, am I able to work immediately? What things do I need to organize in order for begin working? I'm thinking along the lines of acquiring social security number, etc.

Medical care: How do I organize this? Obviously, things are very different in the UK with our NHS healthcare.

Banking: How do I arrange a US bank account? Are there any added complications to transferring my current account and savings from UK to US?

Additionally, I am engaged and due to get married in the new year - would my Wife be able to first of all gain US citizenship as a result, and secondly be allowed to work in the US? Is there a minimum period for married working entitlement? I understand she would not be able to work in the US at present, as we are not yet married.

If there's anything I have missed, I would appreciate if you could let me know.

Hoping these forums will be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
Old Dec 20th 2013, 1:25 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction and advice - to US from UK (US passport holder)

Hi Anthony and welcome to BE!

As a US citizen, you have full rights to do everything that a US citizen who has never left the country can do, including work and petition for your spouse to get permanent residency (a green card). You can apply for and receive a Social Security number and you should look into tax implications.

Your wife, not having residency status in the US, is ineligible to work there right now, or to visit you there for more than 90 days at a time every so often. Check out the Marriage section of the US forum for more information, paying particular attention to threads on "DCF" (Direct Consular Filing) for the easiest way to proceed.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Antseven is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Speedwell,

Thanks for the response.

With regards to tax implications, do you mean with any existing property for example? I currently rent in the UK, no property concerned.

In terms of tax on earnings, presumably once I quite my full-time work in the UK and am no longer taxed here, I would not be expected to pay any tax in the US until I am employed. I'm not sure what other implications there could be?

Thanks again.
Anthony
Old Dec 20th 2013, 1:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be aware that, even if you filed for her today (and you were married) it could easily be 6 months before your wife could move to the US. You need to further be aware that there are financial requirements in order to sponsor your spouse for residency, and that if you are leaving your job in the UK your current income cannot be used to satisfy that requirement - so you would need to use savings or find a US joint sponsor.

Do you have children?

In terms of tax on earnings, presumably once I quite my full-time work in the UK and am no longer taxed here, I would not be expected to pay any tax in the US until I am employed. I'm not sure what other implications there could be?
A USC (as you are) are taxed on their worldwide income, and if you have not been completing US tax returns every year then you need to get that sorted right now - back file at least the last 3 years. The chances are unless you earn a fortune you do not owe any tax due to US-UK tax treaties, but you must file.

Last edited by civilservant; Dec 20th 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 2:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antseven
Hi Speedwell,

Thanks for the response.

With regards to tax implications, do you mean with any existing property for example? I currently rent in the UK, no property concerned.

Thanks again.
Anthony
As a US citizen, you are generally expected to file US tax returns, whether or not you reside in the country. This doesn't mean you have to actually pay US tax; your foreign income is specifically excluded up to a certain amount. If you made very little money, then you are excused from filing tax returns, although as a citizen you may be entitled to significant benefits if you do (low income people usually get money back from the government). When the time comes to apply for your wife's permanent residency, you will need to financially qualify, which will include your tax forms... don't panic, though, because you can qualify in other ways than on what the tax forms say (assets, other US citizens standing as joint sponsors, etc.).

It's just one piece of the puzzle. Do a good through forum search and see what others have done.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 2:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Transport: Is my UK driving license valid, or do I need to do something else?
Your UK driving license will be OK until you get a US driving license...get one ASAP (you might need your SSN first).

Employment: With my US passport, am I able to work immediately?
Yes.

What things do I need to organize in order for begin working? I'm thinking along the lines of acquiring social security number, etc.
Yes, you should apply for a SSN. You will need a resume in US format.

Medical care: How do I organize this? Obviously, things are very different in the UK with our NHS healthcare.
I'm not sure how Obamacare works, but in general, you should try to find a job where your employer provides health insurance.

Banking: How do I arrange a US bank account?
You walk into a bank and open an account.

Are there any added complications to transferring my current account and savings from UK to US?
No. I don't think you can transfer your "account", but you can definitely transfer the money.

Additionally, I am engaged and due to get married in the new year - would my Wife be able to first of all gain US citizenship as a result...
Not as a direct result, no. After you marry, you will need to file form I-130 which starts the ball rolling on her Immigrant Visa. It takes about 8 to 10 months for the Immigrant Visa process. She will interview in London. Be aware that she can only VISIT the USA while the visa process is going on...she cannot live or work in the USA during that time. Once she enters the USA using her Immigrant Visa, she becomes a US Permanent Resident immediately, and can work from Day 1. Once she's been a US PR for 3 years, she can apply for US citizenship.

and secondly be allowed to work in the US?
Only after she enters the USA using her Immigrant Visa.

Is there a minimum period for married working entitlement?
I don't understand this question.

I understand she would not be able to work in the US at present, as we are not yet married.
You're right, she can't, but not because you're not married. It's because she doesn't have permission to work in the USA (married or not).

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2013, 2:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Check out the Marriage section of the US forum for more information, paying particular attention to threads on "DCF" (Direct Consular Filing) for the easiest way to proceed.
DCF will only work for the OP if he's still living in the UK when he wants to file the I-130. If he moves to the USA in January, for example, but then doesn't get married until February, he isn't eligible to file the I-130 to London.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2013, 2:44 pm

If there's anything I have missed, I would appreciate if you could let me know.
Make sure you are up to date on your US tax return filings. Especially for your wife's Immigrant Visa process, you will need to show at least the most current year, possibly the most current 3 years of US tax returns.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing for the OP to add to his "TODO" list if he is under 26 when he arrives in the US is to register for Selective Service.

Failure to register will make him ineligible for various federal government progams including student loans and employment by the federal government.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 2:47 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you meet the filing income thresholds you must file 3 years of back taxes. If you have stocks and shares ISAs or other pooled investment funds get familiar with PFIC. Investigate FBAR. If you have a UK pension fund you will need to deal with yours and your employer's contributions and any gains within the fund for US tax purposes.

For healthcare you will need to either find a job that provides employer sponsored insurance or buy it yourself. The cost will depend on where you live in the US. Be prepared to pay a few hundred dollars a month in premiums to get a plan with a $2k annual deductible and a $6k annual out of pocket max. It will really make you appreciate the NHS.