Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

Wikiposts

Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:20 am
Just Joined

mcelwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

UK schools are Sep-Aug for intakes, US are Jan-Dec. Not unusual for kids with birthdays later in the year to be 'held back' in the US, particularly the boys (physical sports thing). Otherwise the same. Whatever you are comfortable with. School districts may vary, but this is our experience.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 2:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

School cutoff dates in the United States vary by the state, but the vast majority are between August and October. Here is a state-by-state list.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/statereform/tab5_3.asp
Old Aug 6th 2018, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

brit.yankee is an unknown quantity at this point

in the US, generally kids are a year behind when compared to children of the same age in the UK...my son finished his year 4 this july from UK...but this september he will start his grade 4 here in the US...hope this helps
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Taffylola is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we have just moved to LA and my son was in year 10 in the UK so entered 10th grade but found that he had done all the work in year 9!
also everyone in 10th was younger than him.
Hes now moved up to 11th grade and is much happier.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are 11.5 and are in 6th grade. Their friends and cousin in England (same age) are in year 7. There appears to be little difference in what they’re learning in math - my boys are certainly not a year behind their peers in the UK

We left the UK after completing year 1 and they entered into 1st grade as I wanted to keep them with kids their age. 1st grade math and English was super easy for them but allowed them to transition into a new school/country without academic stress.

I’m so glad we made that decision to start them in 1st as they’ve now just started middle school and I can’t imagine them having started that last year instead. It’s big and overwhelming for many kids and unless your child is really confident, tall and mature, it’s might be a bit much for 10 year olds.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely depends on the individual child. I have polar opposites: a 14yr old who has gone from finishing year 9 into grade 9 and with his age group (he struggled a little with his studies in England) and a very advanced 12 year old who has just finished year 7 and started grade 8 (gifted class) where shes a year younger than peers but suited to standard.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Mall18 is an unknown quantity at this point

So how does the birthday/age cut off work?
Obviously in the UK children must turn 4 by the end of August to start school that September, so everyone starting secondary school will be 11 when they start, and most will be 16 when leaving.
My youngest son is 16 now, his birthday was March, he left school here this summer. We are moving to the Orlando area in October and he has has the option to go back to school, he doesn't have to by my understanding but he does want to for social reasons.
So my actual question is would he be in Grade 11?
If I'm understanding what has already been written then as long as he has turned 16 during this calendar year he should have started Grade 11 in August?
Also if he only did Grade 11 and 12 what are the chances he would actually get any practical qualifications from that, as in enough to get into a college there.
I have tried to figure out how things work in Florida but I find the official websites awful and totally lacking in information, we don't have a specific school yet either as there are 4 in a very small area and we can't apply for a place until we know exactly where we will be living so I can't just call for information as I would otherwise.
Has anyone had any experience with moving schools at this age?
Old Sep 14th 2018, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

He would go into 11th Grade by age (they do keep some kids back, so it's always just age).

Presume he has some qualifications from the UK? If so, get the translated to USA Credits & GPA - credits show how many lessons has been completed and passed, GPA is their average grade. GCSE should translate to 2 years worth, if not more, of credits. My daughter moved in October, took a semester for them to sort it all out, then she was ahead by the time she hit 12th grade.