internet

Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:25 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Personally, probably a lot less than 10 hours a week. There's so much crap to wade through that I usually end up bored and watching that Pawn show or Storage Hunters. I've got a load of movies recorded but don't seem to find the time to watch a whole one in one sitting. I really ought to get some channels saved to favourites like Discovery/NatGeo/Travel which is mostly what I watched in the UK.
That's a point - I do like watching pawn.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We have 25/5. For the most part we do get those speeds.

The TV is shit though, that often flickers and the guide is arse.

Oh and once they add all the extras in, such as HD, DVR, receiver, taxes etc, the deal is the same price as Comcast or the rest of them, around the $150 mark, smidge less for the triple combo.

The remote is shit too, the vid on demand ain't great and the kids tele selection is so-so, has improved lots recently though.

Oh and there router is shit and you need to use it for the TV stuff to work, without doing major faffage and it needs to be restarted a hell of a lot more frequently than the crappy Comcast one ever needed to, or the wifi drops out.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Ive got the 15/5 and its fine.

To be honest, the internet is about all I can be arsed to use though. Thoroughly depressed by how bad US TV is. Its not so much the content, because lets be honest, US tv was pretty much all I watched when I was back in the UK. It's the sheer amount of bolox that I have to wade through to find something good.

Its probably just the fact that I'm new and I need to be more tuned in (i.e. Record stuff I want to watch and then digest it at will) but currently my TV habits involve turning on the Apple TV, the Mac Book and the VPN service and popping over to iPlayer and ITV player (4oD is shaky at best) or potentially my Slingbox for a bit of sport and watching UK TV.

What i really need to do is set up my favourites on the FIOS but I cant be arsed.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
What i really need to do is set up my favourites on the FIOS but I cant be arsed.
It's a waste of time...well since the last firmware update, my box keeps forgetting the favourites, it also keeps forgetting the setting to only show channels in the guide we're subscribed to and that was a ball ache to find in the first place.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a waste of time...well since the last firmware update, my box keeps forgetting the favourites, it also keeps forgetting the setting to only show channels in the guide we're subscribed to and that was a ball ache to find in the first place.
You're really having a range of problems aren't you? Maybe your STB is faulty?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I think it's you that's the only one that sees the good things about it and the rest of us don't.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Nah, I think it's you that's the only one that sees the good things about it and the rest of us don't.
Mine doesn't do half the things Bob's does - and I don't mean Bob's is better. Now, to be fair, this area is probably a more modern Fios rollout, and I only started it 4 months ago so probably have a newer box (I know his remote doesn't have some of the buttons mine does, so maybe it's an older box too). But the problems with losing favourites, rebooting etc seem more of an individual issue than a generic software/hardware design fault, otherwise thousands would be complaining about it.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You're really having a range of problems aren't you? Maybe your STB is faulty?
Shouldn't be, they've done a diagnostic on it and it's fine.

The hardware is only about 6 months old, not even and the firmware update is about a couple months old. It was much better till it did the update on the STB and router.

The remote - http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Res...tup/setup.htm# P265v1.1

And it has the issue of volume control too, keeps jumping up or down in massive stages.

I'm not the only one complaining about it though, there are loads of others that have the issue with the wifi dropping out, besides the fact it's just a shit router.

One thing that is good about FIOS is the HD on the sports, which is much nicer than Comcast.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Shouldn't be, they've done a diagnostic on it and it's fine.

The hardware is only about 6 months old, not even and the firmware update is about a couple months old. It was much better till it did the update on the STB and router.

The remote - http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Res...tup/setup.htm# P265v1.1

And it has the issue of volume control too, keeps jumping up or down in massive stages.

I'm not the only one complaining about it though, there are loads of others that have the issue with the wifi dropping out, besides the fact it's just a shit router.

One thing that is good about FIOS is the HD on the sports, which is much nicer than Comcast.
I don't know what model remotes I have because the back is missing off one of them and the other is nowhere to be found (bloody kids!). I recall you saying you don't have the prev/next buttons (under vol/chan, either side of the blue DVR button, above rew/fwd)? Sorry, thought you'd had it for longer than 6 months.

Couldn't get that link to work or work out what it was supposed to say. But a Google suggested replacing the batteries if the volume is doing multiple steps instead of one.

Again, not had problems with the router either. I think I did reset it once in the past 4 months. Oh, did a soft reboot recently trying to work out why incoming connections were suddenly blocked, turned out it was Windows instead. Not a clash with other routers in the area (but I think you're technologically minded so I'm teaching you to suck eggs here )?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I don't know what model remotes I have because the back is missing off one of them and the other is nowhere to be found (bloody kids!). I recall you saying you don't have the prev/next buttons (under vol/chan, either side of the blue DVR button, above rew/fwd)? Sorry, thought you'd had it for longer than 6 months.

Couldn't get that link to work or work out what it was supposed to say. But a Google suggested replacing the batteries if the volume is doing multiple steps instead of one.

Again, not had problems with the router either. I think I did reset it once in the past 4 months. Oh, did a soft reboot recently trying to work out why incoming connections were suddenly blocked, turned out it was Windows instead. Not a clash with other routers in the area (but I think you're technologically minded so I'm teaching you to suck eggs here )?
It sounds like the same remote as you have....has new batteries...just one of those things.

I've changed channels, the works on the wifi settings, hasn't made much difference. There's not much interference from other routers, we can only pick up one bar for about 3 others.

Anyway, the quality of service and customer care, wouldn't say it's any different to Comcast. The internet up/down speed is solid though compared to Comcast but still has glitches, but not nearly as frequently as Comcast ever did, especially with the weather.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

cappedup is on a distinguished road

Got Fios. Hate TV, love internet.

We dont watch much tv at all. Got it as part of the 89.99 bundle. Will keep it for the year and send it back.

We do just fine with Netflix, and stuff off the internet. Got a DVD player with the internet on it, which the Fios 15/5 works just fine with.

We are only the 2nd people in our area to get fios though. Maybe if everyone had it, it wouldnt be as good.

TV remote is rubbish, gaudy, non-intuitive. terrible to use. Kids in Design GCSE can do better. The SD stb is dreadful. The EPG is just this side of useless. Button clicks take at least a second to register. The menu isnt clear. Trying to navigate to say, 'free Films on demand can take so long, i turn it off and load up Netflix. But, this is the SD box.

Content on the TV is sometimes ok. You need Showtime or HBO to actually call it good. And when you have Showtime or HBO the thing you want to watch is usually on the other.

If tv isnt that important to you, just get decent internet and use that to provide all your watching needs. Its working out for us just fine.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by cappedup

TV remote is rubbish, gaudy, non-intuitive. terrible to use. Kids in Design GCSE can do better. The SD stb is dreadful. The EPG is just this side of useless. Button clicks take at least a second to register. The menu isnt clear. Trying to navigate to say, 'free Films on demand can take so long, i turn it off and load up Netflix. But, this is the SD box.
The HD box is no better, very sluggish.

Definitely got worse since the update...amusingly though, they did add some extra nice features, but not very well implemented like the interactive stuff. The widgets would be kind of cool too, but not for the fact they're so slow to load.

At the end of the day, there really isn't much choice, they're all pretty much the same and chances are, there isn't a choice, but if there is, get who ever is offering the better bundle deal at the time.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can pick up 7 Fios WIFIs here, one at 2 bars, the rest at 1 bar. I'm on the HD DVR. Can't say I've noticed it being sluggish, though I have come from the Sky+ box (the Motorola version I think), which really was slow. Occasionally it does go into Deep Thought mode where it carries on playing on the TV but doesn't do anything with the buttons until it suddenly wakes up and does all the presses at once. Not very often though, and the Sky box did that too except with Sky the picture and sound would freeze.

Does the box notify you if it does an update? Maybe I'll see if I can find a version number, if I can be arsed.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same problem when the batteries needed changing.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Does the box notify you if it does an update? Maybe I'll see if I can find a version number, if I can be arsed.
It updates automatically and tells you after it restarts. Also made obvious by the fact it stopped recording something but there you go.

The big thing with the update was a bunch of new interactive features for the build up to the Olympics.

The box also pops up a message to tell you if the batteries are going in the remote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.