Reload this Page >

International removals insurance costs

International removals insurance costs

Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International removals insurance costs

Hi all,

In a few weeks time I'll be making the big move to the US from the UK, I'm taking the bare minimum with me (around 120 cubic feet) mostly books and one or two sentimental items. I've had quotes from a number of removals companies and picked the company I plan to use. However the insurance they are offering me seems to be very expensive, more than the cost of the removal. Obviously some of my books are worth quite a bit but I've tried to be fairly conservative with my estimated value. I'm not obliged to go with their insurance and can shop around. I just wondered f anyone could recommend a particular company to use to insure my goods while in transit. When the removals agent came to give me a quote he did say that in my case cover for damage is not really necessary because I don't have any expensive mirrors or stuff like that, if a couple of glasses get broken in transit it isn't the end of the world. So really I'm just insuring for loss, again the agent said loss will essentially mean the ship has sunk which is obviously a rare occurrence. So it seems a bit of a waste to be paying a ridiculous amount of money for insurance I'm unlikely to claim on.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International removals insurance costs

Insurance usually seems expensive, until you need to claim on it, then it seems cheap.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Insurance usually seems expensive, until you need to claim on it, then it seems cheap.
over £1,000 in insurance on a £600 shipping package seems excessive though.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 12:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
Agreed, it does. You could go without, if you really wanted to, though the risks you face are theft, accidental loss (misdirection of one or more boxes), catastrophic damage (boxes crushed or wetted), or the shipping container being lost overboard, which is actually much more common than you might expect!

If you Google <container overboard> there are hundreds of pictures of other similar incidents!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 29th 2014 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

At the moment it's looking as if it may just be cheaper to send boxes via Parcelforce.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:28 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's crazy! I'll be shipping a similar size and have been quoted £50 insurance for £2k worth of contents and a shipping quote of £800.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:30 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment it's looking as if it may just be cheaper to send boxes via Parcelforce.
Have you tried Excess Baggage if it's just boxes? I don't know what their quotes are like, they're coming round this week to see me.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
That's crazy! I'll be shipping a similar size and have been quoted £50 insurance for £2k worth of contents and a shipping quote of £800.
That sounds more like it, is it excess baggage you have used?
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice

Read the small print for insurance... We were quoted £150 for a similar volume but the small print stated it was for total loss, infact a lot states total loss! Hope you are not using MoveCorp??
Old Jun 29th 2014, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JHolden47
Read the small print for insurance... We were quoted £150 for a similar volume but the small print stated it was for total loss, infact a lot states total loss! Hope you are not using MoveCorp??
Yes it is for total loss. Not using MoveCorp. The removals firm is called Britannia George Bernard Shaw.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice

Ok not sure if you know this apologies if you do. Total loss means you are only covered if your stuff is destroyed and never again found. IE it falls off the side of the ship never to be seen again. If however your container drops off the side onto the peer smashing everything to dust. You are not covered as your stuff is not totally gone. We shipped without insurance as we decided that it was basically useless.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ok not sure if you know this apologies if you do. Total loss means you are only covered if your stuff is destroyed and never again found. IE it falls off the side of the ship never to be seen again. If however your container drops off the side onto the peer smashing everything to dust. You are not covered as your stuff is not totally gone. We shipped without insurance as we decided that it was basically useless.
I understand. Most of the stuff I'm shipping is books, I am also shipping some kitchen stuff (pots and pans, glassware, china etc) and some clothes. I'm not too bothered if a couple of glasses or some plates get broken, it won't be the end of the world. It's really only if for example only 19 of my 20 boxes turn up, I'd want to claim for the cost of replacing the items in the lost box. There isn't anything I'm shipping that I would claim for on household insurance if I dropped and broke it this evening for example. I don't have boxes of lead crystal glasses or Wedgwood china.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ok fair enough, however given your example your shipment still would not be covered at your shipment was not totally lost. All 20 boxes would have to go. In effect 19 could go missing and the last box could be smashed to smithereens. But you wouldn't be able to claim.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 7:08 pm
Hoppity hop...

That sounds more like it, is it excess baggage you have used?
That quote was from Anglo Pacific. Haven't decided who I'm using yet, still waiting for quotes to come in.

Will check the small print though. I'm only shipping books, Wedgwood (!) and a couple of paintings. Whilst I want to ship them it's not the end of the world if they don't make it, there's more important things in life etc
Old Jun 29th 2014, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ok fair enough, however given your example your shipment still would not be covered at your shipment was not totally lost. All 20 boxes would have to go. In effect 19 could go missing and the last box could be smashed to smithereens. But you wouldn't be able to claim.
Based on the information I've been given by the removals company I would be covered if one box didn't turn up and would be able to claim for that one box. It's only damage to items within the box that wouldn't be covered. Also, if the box was visibly very damaged from the outside eg soaked through, I could also claim for the water damage. The agent who visited me to give me a quote and I had quite a detailed conversation about what was and wasn't covered. He said essentially I just wasn't covered for breakages caused by poor packaging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.