Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International drivers permit

International drivers permit

Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:55 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute
Default International drivers permit

Hi

I am travelling out for 90 days in August and plan to try out driving while out there. Someone at work asked me if I had an international drivers permit which i'd never heard of. I thought i just needed my full licence and photo ID.

Any advice is welcome, costing the trip up has already broken me. Especially travel insurance with a declared condition!

I will be going to Ohio, not sure if this sort of thing is State dependant.
Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International drivers permit

Assuming you have a British license, the IDP is pointless as it's just a translation of your license. Pretty sure they speak some form of English in Ohio.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:13 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Assuming you have a British license, the IDP is pointless as it's just a translation of your license. Pretty sure they speak some form of English in Ohio.
Perfect answer. I didnt want to rock up without it and be refused a rental!
Old Jul 10th 2014, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

When I had one about 40 years ago, I was just a document with exactly the same information as my US license but above each piece of information, the information was written in several languages. If someone asked for your license, they would usually accept your English language license but could also ask for the translation license (never occurred to me).

Now after googling the internet for images of "International Driver's Permits", it looks like it has turned into a racket for businesses to make money (many different types) often with a picture of the person on a plastic card and sometimes only in English and different prices depending on the validity length.

It appears most are not actually issued by the government but by businesses in whatever format they desire.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 2:47 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer: You don't need one in the US. You may need one for other English-speaking countries, but not here.

Technically speaking, the IDP is more than just a translation of your license. It's a document that authenticates your license to foreign governments that are party to an international treaty that allows you to drive abroad without a local license if you have the IDP.

But in the US, the licenses are issued by the individual states, not by the federal government that signs treaties. None of the states currently require the IDP.

(Florida did require IDPs for a few months last year, but the resulting drama led to the law being repealed not long after it went into effect: Florida abandons international driving permit demand - News & Advice - Travel - The Independent)

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Jul 10th 2014 at 2:50 am.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

For certain places they are useful but not the US. I was in the Cayman Islands last week and if I'd have had a IDP, then I wouldn't have needed to buy a temp visiting permit which was $20USD valid for 6 months.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
A very remote form of English.