Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interior Paints?

Interior Paints?

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interior Paints?

Originally Posted by Bob
Excellent, thanks!

I double checked the paints and the living room/kids room were painted in "Quality Paint" and the kitchen was in Behr, whilst the our bedroom is the nasty Valspor stuff and I'm worst in the mornings after sleep or spending time on the computer which is in the bedroom.

So on a very non scientific look, it would seem that the cheap crap paint is the one that is doing me in. It's also the ugly turquoise blue, which probably isn't helping
Behr is a pretty good paint and enamel latex is the same price as latex at Home Depot.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered that you may be allergic to other things as well as or instead of latex? Such as formaldehyde found in most manufactured chipboard furniture, also Chinese dry wall if your place got some renovations recently.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Have you considered that you may be allergic to other things as well as or instead of latex? Such as formaldehyde found in most manufactured chipboard furniture, also Chinese dry wall if your place got some renovations recently.
I've always been allergic to latex, it's not a new thing...you should see me after blowing up a couple of balloons

I've worked with formaldehyde based products before, as chipboard/MDF etc were cheap and did a lot of wood work stuff at uni, never had any problems with it. Our current place doesn't look like it's had any new dry wall put up.

I had this issue with paint before, where I used to work, was allergic to the stuff they used in the offices, so that was lovely.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've always been allergic to latex, it's not a new thing...you should see me after blowing up a couple of balloons

I've worked with formaldehyde based products before, as chipboard/MDF etc were cheap and did a lot of wood work stuff at uni, never had any problems with it. Our current place doesn't look like it's had any new dry wall put up.

I had this issue with paint before, where I used to work, was allergic to the stuff they used in the offices, so that was lovely.
So I guess condoms for BControl are out of the question then.....
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem probably has less to do with the brand of paint but instead of the type of paint used.

Ultra Flat:

Used for ceilings to give a very flat look. The flat look is due to the large amount of powder on the surface. Can't be washed since the powder will come off.

Flat

Commonly used in living areas to produce a flat finish on the walls. Less powder on the surface than ultra flat and you need to be careful about washing the walls since the powder will be removed.

Egg Shell

Used for the same areas as flat but with a slightly shinier look. Less powder on the surface and easier to wash than flat.

Satin

Used in kitchens and bathrooms when someone prefers a slightly less shine than semi-gloss. Surface is fairly hard with little powder on the surface and can be easily washed,

Semi-Gloss

The vast majority of homes use semi-gloss in the kitchen and bathrooms as well as trim and doors throughout the house and has a shinny look. Easily washable with almost no powder on the surface.

Gloss

Some prefer gloss for trim to give a very shinny look. Occasionally it is also seen in kitchens and bathrooms. There shouldn't be any powder on the surface making it easily washable.

Therefore you should probably use eggshell instead of flat for your living areas. If you want to take a risk of having shinny walls in your living area, use satin and that should solve the problem.

Enamel may help to seal the powder into the surface but the type will likely seal the surface much better.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I used to work with a girl who was allergic to condoms...her honeymoon was a disaster...she could hardly walk or sit down.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I used to work with a girl who was allergic to condoms...her honeymoon was a disaster...she could hardly walk or sit down.
Thought that was normal part of honeymoon latex allergy or not.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Ok, I only mentioned it because I had a friend recently found out all his skin issues were due to formaldehyde and he suddenly realized how many things had it. Stay press shirts, skin products, furniture, huge long list of everything.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Certainly gives a new meaning to what's that in your pants
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
So anyone got any recommendations for decent brands, that won't cost the earth? Bonus if they aren't oil based.
Benjamin Moore's Natura line are VOC free...but if money were no object my wife would want Farrow & Ball.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I swear by Behr. We just had our house painted in Sherwin Williams, and I'm not impressed. However, we got contractor's discount so only $15 a gallon. Not bad, but I do prefer Behr Eggshell. (Always stay away from flat paint, it never cleans up well and has a cheap finish.) Satin is too shiny, but Eggshell is just right for all rooms.