Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interesting site giving population data per zipcode

Interesting site giving population data per zipcode

Old Jul 4th 2005, 4:56 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Interesting site giving population data per zipcode

Whatever Scotch-Irish is I'll have a double!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Whatever Scotch-Irish is I'll have a double!
I've never understood why people insist on being XXXXXXX-American instead of just American.

Most might be able to trace their ancestry back N generations, but 99% of their families have never been back to their 'mother' countries.

Perhaps as I have blonde hair I will start saying I'm Anglo-Norman or whatever the term would be; alternatively I was thinking of just making something up like Tajik-Samoan.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

White non-Hispanic - Another category for lumping people into. Why don't we just get it over with, and discriminate people based on their ethnicity rather than their perceived skin colour.

Yes, the second sentence is a joke.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:55 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are truely Scottish-Irish, but that is not at all the same as Scotch-Irish per American folklaw - which applies the term (in theory at least) to immigrants from Ireland (geographically) but who were of (specifically) Scottish ancestry. This would pretty much preclude anyone who is true Scotch-Irish from being Catholic as the Scottish emigrants to Ireland were/ (almost?) exclusively protestant (presbyterian).

It was this influx of Scottish protestants into a land populated by native Irish Catholics that caused the, still on-going, "troubles" in Ireland. Which of course makes absurd the idea that anyone who is true Scotch-Irish claiming to be "Irish" and taking up with the whole "Americans all have some Irish ancestry" crap.

Aside from the inter-marrying, either you are of Irish ancestry, and Catholic, or Scotch-Irish (of Scottish ancestry but arriving in America by way of ancesters who emigrated to Ireland), and protestant.
I agree with your last para, but the inter-marrying bit sort of negates the rest of the sentence. If inter-marriage occurs, then one could be any combination of all of the above -

Irish and Catholic
Irish and Protestant (our Orange brethern would protest, but they could get a Republic of Ireland passport if they applied)
Scotch-Irish and Catholic (that would be me)
Scotch-Irish and Protestant

Says a lot for the power of love and marriage (it's an institute you can't disparage....sorry couldn't resist - damn you Al Bundy!)
Old Jul 4th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are you an incorporate town/city? Maybe that's why you're not to be found.
No we're a regular all American city .. population 1,500 (4,000 in the summer) next largest "city" isnt listed either pop @ 6,000 ish. Neither were found ... zip codes 49740 and 49770 *shrug*

However heres a link to our local chamber of commerce site giving local demographics http://www.harborspringschamber.com/demographics.html

taadaa

Jan
Old Jul 4th 2005, 12:53 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Niiicce......the people we bought our house off moved to Florida....as do most of Noo Joisey.

Spot on...the place is like one massive retirement community for Noo Yoikers and Noo Joisians...and a ******* arrogant, obnoxious lot they are too.

Old Jul 4th 2005, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
.... I'm a bit suspicious about the whole idea of Tartan Day also, .....
So would I be, if I had heard of it.

.... I certainly couldn't afford to go to such a thing ....
I have never been to an "Irish pub" in the US - I personally avoid them like the plague. Even on the rare occasion that the (sadly) all-too-formal-and-prearranged drinks after work have been arranged for an Irish pub I have politely declined.