Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insuring jewelry while moving between countries: an insurance paradox?

Insuring jewelry while moving between countries: an insurance paradox?

Old Jul 14th 2021, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

msvlafes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insuring jewelry while moving between countries: an insurance paradox?

Hi all - I'm a lurker turned poster. Thanks for having me.We're moving from the UK to the USA, with a 2 week trip to Mexico in between. I'm told no UK insurer will insure my wife's £5k ring, as our permanent address won't be in the UK anymore. I even said to one insider "Well, they won't know we were just moving and not on holiday". They told me that insurance claims are more like cross-examination, and a failed claim would hurt future insurance rates.

All that's to say, how does someone move internationally and insure themselves? Worth noting that we're still in the house buying process for America so I don't even have a 'permanent' address there yet...
Old Jul 14th 2021, 4:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring jewelry while moving between countries: an insurance paradox?

Originally Posted by msvlafes
Hi all - I'm a lurker turned poster. Thanks for having me.We're moving from the UK to the USA, with a 2 week trip to Mexico in between. I'm told no UK insurer will insure my wife's £5k ring, as our permanent address won't be in the UK anymore. I even said to one insider "Well, they won't know we were just moving and not on holiday". They told me that insurance claims are more like cross-examination, and a failed claim would hurt future insurance rates.

All that's to say, how does someone move internationally and insure themselves? Worth noting that we're still in the house buying process for America so I don't even have a 'permanent' address there yet...
Hi and welcome to BE

I typed 'UK one way travel insurance' and quite a few companies came up, beginning with this one (I haven't used them)
https://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/one_w..._insurance.php

So it's certainly doable to get one way travel insurance, it's just a matter of Googling the companies that offer it and getting some quotes. Best of luck.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Insuring jewelry while moving between countries: an insurance paradox?

And what the inner limit is for valuables
Old Jul 14th 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi and welcome to BE

I typed 'UK one way travel insurance' and quite a few companies came up, beginning with this one (I haven't used them)
https://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/one_w..._insurance.php

So it's certainly doable to get one way travel insurance, it's just a matter of Googling the companies that offer it and getting some quotes. Best of luck.
I know you put this one company out there just as an example, but it is not actually issuing new policies!
Using this example, the limit on ALL possessions is £1,500, and on jewelry specifically £500.

I doubt if regular travel insurance will meet the need. I would read any small print relating to valuables/jewelry very closely.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 5:20 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msvlafes

No idea on the address stuff, contents insurnace was not very good for my wife’s 2 rings, I wanted one that covers loss, theft, and disappearance. I think they are insured for maybe $23k together and the annual premium is about $260 with a $100 deductible, the provider I use is: https://www.jewelersmutual.com/

Old Jul 14th 2021, 5:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I know you put this one company out there just as an example, but it is not actually issuing new policies!
Using this example, the limit on ALL possessions is £1,500, and on jewelry specifically £500.

I doubt if regular travel insurance will meet the need. I would read any small print relating to valuables/jewelry very closely.
Oh right, thanks I didn't even click on the link to be honest.

There must be some of the so called 'speciality' insurance companies doing one way policies that insure for more than that, might have to look at lots of duds before finding one though.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh right, thanks I didn't even click on the link to be honest.

There must be some of the so called 'speciality' insurance companies doing one way policies that insure for more than that, might have to look at lots of duds before finding one though.
Typical bloody BE member. They ask questions about this that and the other and helpful posters send links with the answers but they cant be arsed to open a link.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 3:33 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Typical bloody BE member. They ask questions about this that and the other and helpful posters send links with the answers but they cant be arsed to open a link.
Shurrup you