Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance policies

Insurance policies

Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Insurance policies

Hi everyone,
I just recently flew back from UK while I was ill, because the cost of changing my flight was $2,000+ for a last minute change. I had no alternative but to fly home sick - and made my illness ten times worse in the process. When my sister lived in Canada she had an insurance policy that covered her and her husband, plus 2 people back in UK, so that if she needed to get home urgently, or have people get to her urgently, they would be covered - and not have to try and find $2,000+ just because it would be last-minute.
Does anyone know of a similar policy in the USA, or where I could find out about such a deal?
This must be something dealt with by quite a few of us, (unfortunately) and I really would appreciate your input.
I do understand me being sick would not have fallen into the category above, but it got me to thinking - what if I REALLY needed to change last-minute, or book last minute.
Thanks for your help.
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance policies

Originally Posted by keaki80
When my sister lived in Canada she had an insurance policy that covered her and her husband, plus 2 people back in UK...
Are you sure about this? I spent most of my life in Canada and I'm not familiar with an insurance policy of this sort.

Wait a sec... are you talking about flight/travel insurance?

Ian
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like something that would be covered by UK Travel Insurance, I presume US wordings are similar but have never looked at one.

UK terminology is Cancellation and Curtailment, Medical and Emergency Travel.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Are you sure about this? I spent most of my life in Canada and I'm not familiar with an insurance policy of this sort.

Wait a sec... are you talking about flight/travel insurance?

Ian
No, this was an insurance policy she held. Mind you, it was in 1973-1985. It covered her and her husband, plus 2 people in UK, in case they needed to go to Canada urgently. She used it when my mum died in 82.
I can try an insurance broker, I suppose. Just wondered if anyone here actually knew of one.
Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like something that would be covered by UK Travel Insurance, I presume US wordings are similar but have never looked at one.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

This is a travel insurance policy, period.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 1:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Curious why you don't ask your sister?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Curious why you don't ask your sister?
I did, she couldn't remember, just said it was a policy she paid into as soon as she arrived in Canada. I did see airlines (most) do a bereavement fare though. I certainly will ask her again and try to get her to clear those cobwebs away. I think a broker is the only way to go; but was sat online through illness and was thinking of things - as you do!!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

There is travel insurance in the US and it is the same thing. We have purchased it. However, we have bought it only for non-refundable trips purchased in advance -- e.g. a pre-booked cruise or tour in Asia.

Our extended family purchased it for an Alaska Inner Passage Tour and my niece ended up using it -- the policy paid for hospitalization in Sitka and an Air Ambulance to Seattle. BTW, niece did not have health insurance. For me the policy would have been secondary coverage.

Shop around, the price can vary. See this link.