Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance and phone costs

Insurance and phone costs

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: Insurance and phone costs

Cheapest iPhone plan works out to about $55 +tax a month - this gives you 200mb of data and 450 rollover minutes a month, unlimited texts. You'd need to check, but I think that AT&T calls to other AT&T cell phones aren't included in your allocated minutes, they're free.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
Cheapest iPhone plan works out to about $55 +tax a month - this gives you 200mb of data and 450 rollover minutes a month, unlimited texts. You'd need to check, but I think that AT&T calls to other AT&T cell phones aren't included in your allocated minutes, they're free.
That quote may also be dependent on location. I've not been with AT&T for years, but I wouldn't assume they have the same pricing all across the US. Most all carriers do have mobile-to-mobile (with the same carrier) for free.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:47 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I use VPI for my cat. I've used them for years. I've been very happy with them. I had a bill for my cat that was over $900. They reimbursed all but the $50 deductable. You do have to lay out the money and there are co pays for several procedures.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scubalady
Mobile phone insurance?
only covered losses (fire, theft, wind, water) are covered on regular homeowners insurance, plus with a $500 deductible a theif nicking your cell phone won't be worth claiming anyways.

Ask for an itemised Personal Articles Policy.
for big ticket items that can easily break or be lost, such as jewelery, ipods, digital camera's etc.

State Farm do not insure cell phones or ipods or ipads on personal article policies but other companies might. This might be just an Ohio thing or a nationwide thing. I dunno.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

To continue using your 3GS iPhone you're more or less stuck with AT&T unless you can do without the 3G data service. The fact that you are on T-Mobile UK already means zip, T-Mobile US uses a different frequency for their 3G network that a normal iPhone can't receive.

Don't forget that if you waltz into an AT&T store with a pre-existing iPhone they will refuse to sell you anything but a contract even though they at least year you could get 3G PAYG with data. But not for an iPhone (and I didn't have another old 3G phone with me...).

I couldn't find their data add-ons for the PAYG (gophone) service anymore, but their other data plans aren't exactly cheap either - between $35-$60 a month for up to 5GB data at the expensive end.