Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance: Bringing parents to the U.S.

Insurance: Bringing parents to the U.S.

Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance: Bringing parents to the U.S.

Originally Posted by MassKath
Once they have been here for 5 years they will be able to access MA Commonwelth care insurance which is income based so the cost will be much less than it is now.
I thought it also included asset value in the calculations. Certainly when it first began at least, so old biddies were getting hosed because homes were now worth so much etc.

And unless they changed it, you had to be a MA resident for 12 months before you could buy into the Mass Care insurance thing, as a way to stop people moving here for subsidised insurance, so that first year was always a problem.

The real knock on effect because of MA Care though, most group plans you could have gotten from trade associations and guilds etc don't offer cover in MA.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

TTheir insurance increased by 10% this year and we expect it to do that every year. Once they have been here for 5 years they will be able to access MA Commonwelth care insurance which is income based so the cost will be much less than it is now.
Pray they don't have a serious medical condition before those five years are up.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

MassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really niceMassKath is just really nice

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Pray they don't have a serious medical condition before those five years are up.
If they do have any medical issues before the five years are up, they are covered by their individual health insurance plans that they are paying or now.

Yes the MA Commonwealth Care does take assets into account, but they do not own there home or have other assets, so they will qualify.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If they do have any medical issues before the five years are up, they are covered by their individual health insurance plans that they are paying or now.
I was referring to the nasty habit of insurance companies to drop policyholders once they've had a significant illness. Being insured today is no guarantee of being insured five years down the road. Or even one.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I brought both my parents to the US 2 years ago as greencard holders. They both have insurance with blue cross blue shield of MA, it costs them $14,700 per year to cover them both. they have a deductable of $1,000 each and a co-pay of $25 for office visits and RX coverage at 15/50/100. They will not get any help with the cost until they have been resident for 5 years. After that they will get Medicaid from the state.

I made sure that we would be able to fund their insurance costs for the full 5 years before they applied for their greencards. Both my parents have pre-existing conditions dad (68) has diabetis and mum(69) had a thyroid problem as well as just getting older.
What would it cost for you to fly home and visit yearly? What if they were sick back in the UK, what would it cost you to get there quickly? Could you stay an extended length of time? $14k is a lot of money, to be sure, but maybe the costs offset the peace of mind of having them here with you. And for them as well.

I think it sounds great and I'm glad to hear its not all doom and gloom....

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jan 18th 2011 at 4:11 am.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I was referring to the nasty habit of insurance companies to drop policyholders once they've had a significant illness. Being insured today is no guarantee of being insured five years down the road. Or even one.
It is MA so slightly different. The State could drop or limit their exchanges, I think that is unlikely in the medium term.

I believe they use a lot of Medicaid money to subsdise their system, if that dries up or they have issues with the match the first step is more likely that they limit the extent of coverage, but then everybody is doing that.