Insurance

Old Aug 26th 2020, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

ampypoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance

My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the usa as our children live there. We are both UK citizens,can anybody recommend a good insurance agency to get medicine insurance for living in the usa.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance

Originally Posted by ampypoole
My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the usa as our children live there. We are both UK citizens,can anybody recommend a good insurance agency to get medicine insurance for living in the usa.
Are you asking about Insurance Agencies (ie agents who will find a plan for you?) or actual Medical insurance companies (those who provide the plan services?)

Where in the States will you be living?.... no point giving advice for an agency in Alaska if you are living in California.....

In your last posts you said your wife was a US citizen ????
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

So it will either be California or Texas.

Typo re my wife,she has dual nationality but has not lived in USA for over 20 years.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Typically you'd just use the state Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance portal, or the federal one if the state doesn't have their own, and you will see the range of ACA- approved health insurance options available to you. ..... I am certain that CA does have a portal, but not sure about Texas.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you,I was not sure if as a UK citizen I would qualify,great many thanks.

Andy
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you,I was not sure if as a UK citizen I would qualify ......
You can't live in the US "as a UK citizen", but anyone who is eligible to live in the US is eligble to buy ACA health insurance. You may have an issue using the portal before you have an SSN.

Do you have a visa application in process yet? ... Approval for an IR-1 (spouse visa) is going to take until late 2021 at best.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 26th 2020 at 6:38 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you,I was not sure if as a UK citizen I would qualify,great many thanks.

Andy
The California state healthcare website is

https://www.coveredca.com/

The Fed one is

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Both can give you an idea of what healthcare costs will be for you and wife.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks,we are starting visa process as we don't plan to move until 2022