Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

insurance..?

insurance..?

Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Location: magherafelt to glasgow to stamford to virginia beach
ajparke is just really niceajparke is just really niceajparke is just really niceajparke is just really niceajparke is just really niceajparke is just really niceajparke is just really niceajparke is just really nice
Default travel / baggage / renters insurance..?

hello all.
newbie here...!

im moving with family to virginia, US on a 2 year work assignment.

we are going into temp accommodation for 30 days while we finalise house rental etc.

what do i do about travel insurance?
im guessing i would get some kind of contents/ renters insurance once we have the rental in US arranged - any suggestons?

do i just buy a single trip policy for the one way trip to the usa and the 30 days in temp accomodation from UK? is that allowed if i am not a UK resident?

work covers health insurance for the whole clan, so im not concerned about that, but i want to make sure we are covered if we get off plane to not find luggage or someone nicks it while in temp accomodation.

any input welcome.

best
andrew

Last edited by ajparke; Jan 5th 2011 at 8:46 am. Reason: clarity of question improved
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:36 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel / baggage / renters insurance..?

Originally Posted by ajparke
hello all.
newbie here...!

im moving with family to virginia, US on a 2 year work assignment.

we are going into temp accommodation for 30 days while we finalise house rental etc.

im guessing i would get some kind of contents/ renters insurance once we have the rental in US arranged - any suggestons?

do i just buy a single trip policy for the one way trip to the usa and the 30 days in temp accomodation from UK? is that allowed if i am not a UK resident?

work covers health insurance for the whole clan, so im not concerned about that, but i want to make sure we are covered if we get off plane to not find luggage or someone nicks it while in temp accomodation.

any input welcome.

best
andrew
Shouldn't your employer be taking care of this kind of stuff? When I travel I'm covered by work's policy and I was staying in temp accommodation owned (and insured) by my employer. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: insurance..?

When we arrived in CT last February, we had purchased travel insurance to cover us for the first 30 days. Now I don't actually know on hindsight, if they would have payed out had we made a claim, even though we had return tickets, someone else could maybe clarify that.

As for your rental, you will have to get renters insurance to cover you. Shop around as we got a discount when we took out the car insurance and renters insurance together and for the year it was just over $200 for a 4 bedroom, 2,200 sq ft home. We had to do all this ourselves as my OH's company didn't take anything to do with it, so I don't know if Tonrob is just lucky, or if we were just unlucky!! Just for info, make sure you check your rental agreement before you sign. We have a "repairs clause" on ours which means that we have to pay for minor repairs up to $100, and again, I don't know if that's normal or not.

Don't know if any of this is helpful, but enjoy your move.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

it's cheap as chips. it's just called Renters insurance here, covers liability in case you burn the place down, and also covers the contents in a job lot policy...

We pay like $25 a month for $45,000 contents coverage and $300,000 liability coverage.

A great investment seen as we recently got robbed and our insurance co payed out $14,000 to cover everything we lost.

I would advise you to purchase it with the same company you get your car insurance from as 99% of companies offer a discount on your car insurance if you have some sort of home/renters policy with them.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: insurance..?

Originally Posted by Brat1
renters insurance together and for the year it was just over $200 for a 4 bedroom, 2,200 sq ft home.
the size of the house and the amount of bedrooms is irrelevent, as you're not insuring it.

what you're insuring is your stuff, and that's a stated policy limit.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Travel insurance will be a trouble because it usually doesn't cover one way travel...though there's a few old threads on this, but what ever you do, make sure the cover is in writing that they'll cover you without a return ticket.