Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Inland Revenue

Inland Revenue

Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:04 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future
Default Inland Revenue

Hi,

This is our first post here on British Expats. We were advised to post our question here by Meauxna. We have posted this question on Visa Journey, but have yet to have it answered.

I was wondering whether anyone had any knowledge concerning informing the Inland Revenue of departure or immpending departure from the UK and the forms you have to fill in concerning treatment for UK tax purposes. This question is in relation to both USC and UKC. We were under the assumption that the UKC filled and filed P85, the USC filled and filed P85(S), as in accordance with the information on the Inland Revenue web page. Also, is this completely neccessary? Has anyone had any bad experiences with not filing this, later on down.

Many thanks in advance,

Gary (UKC) & Amber (USC)
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland Revenue

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
Hi,

This is our first post here on British Expats. We were advised to post our question here by Meauxna. We have posted this question on Visa Journey, but have yet to have it answered.

I was wondering whether anyone had any knowledge concerning informing the Inland Revenue of departure or immpending departure from the UK and the forms you have to fill in concerning treatment for UK tax purposes. This question is in relation to both USC and UKC. We were under the assumption that the UKC filled and filed P85, the USC filled and filed P85(S), as in accordance with the information on the Inland Revenue web page. Also, is this completely neccessary? Has anyone had any bad experiences with not filing this, later on down.

Many thanks in advance,

Gary (UKC) & Amber (USC)
you're from knowsley? didn't know you paid tax while on the dole.

but seriously now.
dunno, was just having the crack...........
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:10 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
you're from knowsley? didn't know you paid tax while on the dole.
I'am from Knowsley, thank you for the warm welcome
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:13 pm
Accepted Everywhere

Also, to correct your English. The sentence should read...."Didn't know you paid tax whilst on the dole". I can't/won't (delete where applicable) get a job, but damn can i spell
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Also, to correct your English. The sentence should read...."Didn't know you paid tax whilst on the dole". I can't/won't (delete where applicable) get a job, but damn can i spell
Surely, to be correct, in the Queens tongue, it should read. "Did not know one paid income tax whilst collecting unemployment benefits"

but damn can i spell
need to capitalize the I mate.

That's just sloppy writing.

Last edited by Manc; Jan 10th 2005 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

whilst ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hwlst, wlst)
conj. Chiefly British While.

You're leaving the UK. Get used to it!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

agima is an unknown quantity at this point

There's forms to file?

Uh-oh. I was just gonna jump ship and let them find out the hard way.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:37 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by agima
There's forms to file?

Uh-oh. I was just gonna jump ship and let them find out the hard way.
to get money back I think yes

For example
If you emigrate in March........
The you've only lived in the UK for 3 months which is under the amount of statutory residence for a tax year and therefore maybe entitled to the tax paid in January , February, March as a refund.

I think that's how it works, but not sure.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Just a complete hypothetical question, of course...

But, assume you owe the tax man, I dunno, £100k. You have your VISA, there's a few weeks till the tax is due.

Is it the last cheque you send?

Or...

Do you get on the plane and forget about it?

Can you be extradited for failing to pay UK tax from the US?

Again, purely hypothetical! Honest!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:58 pm
@matthewb76

Just a complete hypothetical question, of course...

But, assume you owe the tax man, I dunno, £100k. You have your VISA, there's a few weeks till the tax is due.

Is it the last cheque you send?

Or...

Do you get on the plane and forget about it?

Can you be extradited for failing to pay UK tax from the US?

Again, purely hypothetical! Honest!
tax evasion is a crime, and therefore I presume if it came to it, then extradition proceedings would be brought against you.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
tax evasion is a crime, and therefore I presume if it came to it, then extradition proceedings would be brought against you.
Guess it depends on the amount involved - I can't see them going after anyone for a couple of hundred quid.

Will be nice not to have to fill in those self assessment forms which seem to take a weekend out of my life every January, but I hear the US is much worse so from the frying pan into the fire maybe.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking the OP's thread now
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:09 pm
Accepted Everywhere

Erm, we seem to be getting slightly side tracked from the initial point I (happy Manc )raised. Should I file the P85 and my wife the P85(S) or simply forget it? One less thing to worry about? ***** it, we'll file them, better to be safe than sorry, right?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:10 pm
@matthewb76

I can't see them going after anyone for a couple of hundred quid.
might be now with the exchange rate!

seriously though, best not to burn ones bridges et al.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:13 pm
Accepted Everywhere

Hey Manc,

There are two types of people in this World....Michael Jackson fans and losers. You must be a HUGE MJ fan....?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:15 pm
@matthewb76

Hey Manc,

There are two types of people in this World....Michael Jackson fans and losers. You must be a HUGE MJ fan....?
eh???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.