Reload this Page >

Initial impressions of Florida

Initial impressions of Florida

Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Union Jack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial impressions of Florida

Hi,

Just a few comments from a brit who has just landed in Florida (a month)

That's right, I live up the road from Disney and laugh at holiday-ing brits as they succumb to the delights of International Drive.

But the honeymoon period is over and 2nd stage culture shock is creeping up, i'm craving certain English things like crazy. The job hunt is frustrating and driving is a pain. But I know things will be better in the long run

In short my wife is from here and gave it a good crack of the whip in England but missed the US a lot and could not settle. 3 years and a lot of money later we are here and i'm positive about things.

So how do you stay conected to English-ness?

As a creative i miss Englsih/European style. I know New York is up the road (ish) but Florida is a laid back holiday state, with bad taste. Any tips on getting UK clothes shipped cheap?

Also I really don't want to loose my accent, anyone got weird anglo-american ones going down?

TV and Football. i just give up on these. TV here is so bad I just have to leave the room.

Driving. Is anyone else shocked at how easy it is for young americans to get a license and then drive a huge dodge ram?

Food. I love it here, but my body took weeks to adjust with stomach aches, anyone else get that?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial impressions of Florida

Originally Posted by Union Jack
HiAlso I really don't want to loose my accent, anyone got weird anglo-american ones going down?

TV and Football. i just give up on these. TV here is so bad I just have to leave the room.

Driving. Is anyone else shocked at how easy it is for young americans to get a license and then drive a huge dodge ram?

Food. I love it here, but my body took weeks to adjust with stomach aches, anyone else get that?
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Ray's right......however, to soften the blow a bit. You can get football, most of the good games and some bad ones on a combo of Setanta and Fox Sports....Direct TV.
Clothes....suck it up and buy the US rubbish and save your money till you go home on a visit.
Tea? The larger finer grocery stores sell PG Tipps and the most obvious sweets and snacks.
But the deal is you really have to sink your teeth in here if you are to stay here for any length of time. Join a gym, club anything to immerse yourself for a while.
I have been here 16 years and sometimes its good, sometimes I struggle and eventually I will go back to the UK.

Good luck with a job. Once you get that secured everything else will come.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Janek66
Ray's right......however, to soften the blow a bit. You can get football, most of the good games and some bad ones on a combo of Setanta and Fox Sports....Direct TV.
Clothes....suck it up and buy the US rubbish and save your money till you go home on a visit.
Tea? The larger finer grocery stores sell PG Tipps and the most obvious sweets and snacks.
But the deal is you really have to sink your teeth in here if you are to stay here for any length of time. Join a gym, club anything to immerse yourself for a while.
I have been here 16 years and sometimes its good, sometimes I struggle and eventually I will go back to the UK.

Good luck with a job. Once you get that secured everything else will come.
Thank you, that helps a lot and your both right. I guess I saw my wife go through the same things first so I knew what was coming. But being in the middle of it is different to knowing!

I'm doing ok, just a few minor niggles. Job hunting is never fun and tends to bring out the frustrations even more.I had a decent job high up and now have to prove myself again. My wife is incredibly understanding and has been through it!

The hard part is that friends back home are starting to forget me a lil, which is to be expected. But I plan on throwing myself into the culture and usually make friends easily, i'm laid back so should be ok.

Clothes, yeah...I think i'll foot the shipping bill
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:29 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes, yeah...I think i'll foot the shipping bill

Shop at better stores.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha. Been there. Done that. With me, I was going to educate the masses over here on Britpop etc. Now I think back on my clothes and arrogance, I shudder.

British fashion is naff, mate. You'll get over it.

As a creative, try to seek out urban hipsters.
Just get some retro glasses, a bike messenger bag, sit and spin pants, grow a goatee, purchase and learn to ride a fixie, and wear old canvas sneakers.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yep; that's about it....
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just a few comments from a brit who has just landed in Florida (a month)

That's right, I live up the road from Disney and laugh at holiday-ing brits as they succumb to the delights of International Drive.

But the honeymoon period is over and 2nd stage culture shock is creeping up, i'm craving certain English things like crazy. The job hunt is frustrating and driving is a pain. But I know things will be better in the long run

In short my wife is from here and gave it a good crack of the whip in England but missed the US a lot and could not settle. 3 years and a lot of money later we are here and i'm positive about things.

So how do you stay conected to English-ness? Your in Florida there's enough Brits thereAs a creative i miss Englsih/European style. I know New York is up the road (ish) but Florida is a laid back holiday state, with bad taste. Any tips on getting UK clothes shipped cheap? LOL Why would you want to look like a typical Brit on vacation, when you live here
Also I really don't want to loose my accent, anyone got weird anglo-american ones going down? You won't lose it you will be reminded of that every dayTV and Football. i just give up on these. TV here is so bad I just have to leave the room. Learn NFL

Carry Imodium with you :

Seriously it takes time, you will adjust give it a chance

Last edited by Poppy girl; Oct 24th 2008 at 7:27 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Ha ha. Been there. Done that. With me, I was going to educate the masses over here on Britpop etc. Now I think back on my clothes and arrogance, I shudder.

British fashion is naff, mate. You'll get over it.

Just get some retro glasses, a bike messenger bag, sit and spin pants, grow a goatee, purchase and learn to ride a fixie, and wear old canvas sneakers.
ha ha..sage like advice, which i'm working on

as for learning NFL? Not yet, I plan on educating them on the importance of the 4-4-2 in football. It's funny that only a few people here actually remember the world cup in 94!

I've also found a few TV chanels that run faulty towers, although my US mother-in-law is still to get it I think.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:48 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously... get a fixie.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:52 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Unfortunately this.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha..sage like advice, which i'm working on

as for learning NFL? Not yet, I plan on educating them on the importance of the 4-4-2 in football. It's funny that only a few people here actually remember the world cup in 94!

I've also found a few TV chanels that run faulty towers, although my US mother-in-law is still to get it I think.
You're about as green as they come!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Learn NFL FFS! Get someone to tape it and send it over. Why do you want to dress like the scruffy feckers over here? Get a loud shirt shorts and flip flops I did
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Now *there's* your karma-worthy post of the day!
(I didn't realize you are already in Portland, you should've said so)
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

and the best of luck to the OP....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.