Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Initial impressions of Florida

Initial impressions of Florida

Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:12 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Initial impressions of Florida

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Morning: Football -> Afternoon: American Football -> Evening: Baseball
That's my day today!

9.30am: Chelsea v Liverpool, with bacon and egg sarnie and hot sweet tea.

1pm: Bucs game, while cooking beef and Guinness stew.

8pm (ish): Rays game, drinking the rest of the Guinness that didn't go in the stew.

I hated American football when I moved here but once I learned the rules, I grew to love it! Baseball has taken me a bit longer, but I'm getting there.

I was never into fashion anyway, I've always been a jeans and T-shirt kind of girl. That's evolved into capris, flip flops and Tshirts but still... lol

Good luck with the transition, I really love it here now but yes, I do get homesick, and there will always be things I miss about England.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:15 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and sign up online for Netflix or Blockbuster. We have Blockbuster and have seen a TON of British shows on DVD!

Publix has a little section of British food, usually on the ethnic food aisle. I found Fry's Turkish Delight there yesterday! They also have Maltesers, Cadbury's Flake, Crunchies and Penguin bars.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

SueW123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
Oh, and sign up online for Netflix or Blockbuster. We have Blockbuster and have seen a TON of British shows on DVD!

Publix has a little section of British food, usually on the ethnic food aisle. I found Fry's Turkish Delight there yesterday! They also have Maltesers, Cadbury's Flake, Crunchies and Penguin bars.
OH wow!! Malteasers.. They are my fav? Which Publix did you find them in? I haven't seen any british food in any of the publix around my area, I am in the Tampa area too. I have seen some bits in Sweetbay, bisto, teabags, beans etc but not seen any chocolate/ sweet stuff.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:21 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

World Market carries a good assortment of British food stuffs as well. Candy, Heinz Baked Beans, Pickled Onion, Tea, etc.

Also, do a Google search for British tea rooms/tea shops in your area. I think there are quite a few in Florida, you lucky devils.

Last resort, of course, would be online British shops. Expensive but sometimes - it's worth it. (Especially where Malteasers are involved. )
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:48 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

I'm in Wesley Chapel, and I've seen an assortment of British choccies in the various WC and New Tampa area Publix. Maltesers have been a recent addition though, I've only seen them the last couple of times I've been in.

Also, there are a couple of pretty good Brit shops around Dale Mabry. One's in Northdale, called Brittans (I think) and they have a great selection of Brut stuff. The other one is on Himes near Hillsborough; I haven't been in there but it's close to my OH's office and he gets my beloved Cheese & Onion Walkers from there.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Union Jack
As a creative i miss Englsih/European style. I know New York is up the road (ish) but Florida is a laid back holiday state, with bad taste. Any tips on getting UK clothes shipped cheap?
Talking of English "Style" I've just been to Busch Gardens theme park today. There were tons and tons of Brits there; more noticeable than usual I'd say, must be the "winter sun" crowd.

What I really noticed a lot were the amount of English blokes wearing capri pants. In my opinion its the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, and if that's what English "Style" has become - I'm glad I left the UK before that became fashionable....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
What I really noticed a lot were the amount of English blokes wearing capri pants. In my opinion its the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, and if that's what English "Style" has become - I'm glad I left the UK before that became fashionable....
I had to laugh at you saying that as my hubby says the exact same thing!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I remember coming on holiday to Orlando... they cater a lot to British tourists esp around I-drive. I remember there was a British pub at the Mercado, and many shops on I-drive/Disney World (Epcot) that sell English goods.

Just googled it... the pub is called The Cricketer Arms (8445 International Drive)

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Oct 27th 2008 at 6:25 am.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of English "Style" I've just been to Busch Gardens theme park today. There were tons and tons of Brits there; more noticeable than usual I'd say, must be the "winter sun" crowd.

You've got to be kidding. I really don't think I could respect a man wearing Capri pants.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You've got to be kidding. I really don't think I could respect a man wearing Capri pants.
Oh I don't know. If he has good legs, a bit of a tan.....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Sadly I'm not! Real stomach churning stuff. The OP need not be worried about Brit fashion, IMO.....it stinks!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Janek66
Oh I don't know. If he has good legs, a bit of a tan.....
...but worse of a one than if wearing shorts!

And, shorts do not carry the same doubts about the sexual orientation of the wearer....

The football shirts were bad enough........but these tourists really need a warning about wearing their capri pants in the US....talk about giving your average Brit tourist bloke a bad name!

Last edited by Dan725; Oct 27th 2008 at 12:58 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:35 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I remember coming on holiday to Orlando... they cater a lot to British tourists esp around I-drive. I remember there was a British pub at the Mercado, and many shops on I-drive/Disney World (Epcot) that sell English goods.

Just googled it... the pub is called The Cricketer Arms (8445 International Drive)
The Cricketers has moved, they're now at 5250 North International Drive.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

...but worse of a one than if wearing shorts!

And, shorts do not carry the same doubts about the sexual orientation of the wearer....

The football shirts were bad enough........but these tourists really need a warning about wearing their capri pants in the US....talk about giving your average Brit tourist bloke a bad name!
Carrying on the legacy of black socks with sandals (and shorts!) that you're so well known for...
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Carrying on the legacy of black socks with sandals (and shorts!) that you're so well known for...
Don't forget the knotted hanky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.