Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Inheritance from uk

Inheritance from uk

Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:11 am
Just Joined

thesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant future
Default Inheritance from uk

Hi

I will be receiving over $50k of inheritance from a family members estate.

1 Will the amount be subject to us taxes?
2 What is the best way to bring the money over from the uk?

Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inheritance from uk

1. Not federal income tax. Perhaps a state inheritance tax, check your state rules. Future interest and capital gains will be taxable.

You may need to report the inheritance to the IRS for information purposes.

2. Banks can do international transfers. That's one way, there are others.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

No federal tax and unlikely state tax since there are only 7 states that collect inheritance tax, all exempt spouses, four of those states exempt descendants, and I believe all exempt a certain amount from inheritance taxes.

http://wills.about.com/od/stateestat...cetaxchart.htm
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:58 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thesquonk
Sorry for your loss.

Most of us use services like XE, UKForex etc, as you get a better rate than a bank will usually give. Bear in mind, though, that if you get the funds deposited in your UK bank account and try to do that from over here, using Internet banking, you may come up against online transaction limits or other silliness.

Your options are:
Have the executor wire it to your US account at whatever rate their bank gives.
Have the executor wire it to your US account via one of the forex services mentioned.
Get the funds deposited into a UK account and bring them over in tranches.
Get the funds deposited into a UK account, fly over there to fill out whatever forms they want and transfer it all in one go.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

When I had a similar situation, there was no tax to pay, but I did have to report the bequest with my annual tax return for the year on IRS Form 3520. However, I think that if you receive below a certain amount, you are exempt from the filing. Your accountant should be able to tell you, or you can find the form and its instructions online. The executor arranged the wire (in dollars so there was no charge to me for conversion) straight into my US bank account.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesquonk
I will be receiving over $50k of inheritance from a family members estate.
I received a similar amount from my uncle's estate a few years ago.

1 Will the amount be subject to us taxes?
Mine wasn't... yours won't likely be either.

I gave the attorney who handled the estate my US bank info - routing number, checking account number, etc., and the money was transfered and deposited a few days later. The bank charged me a nominal fee (less than $10) for the international transfer.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

dolega is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't believe any taxes are involved other then that those flow from the gift i.e., income tax and CGT; however, be wary of any inheritance tax that might be due (depending on which State you are in).
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Sorry for your loss.

Most of us use services like XE, UKForex etc, as you get a better rate than a bank will usually give. Bear in mind, though, that if you get the funds deposited in your UK bank account and try to do that from over here, using Internet banking, you may come up against online transaction limits or other silliness.

Your options are:
Have the executor wire it to your US account at whatever rate their bank gives.
Have the executor wire it to your US account via one of the forex services mentioned.
Get the funds deposited into a UK account, fly over there to fill out whatever forms they want and transfer it all in one go.
We have a similar situation but XE.com were happy to increase our online transaction limit to a sum that would more than cover this sum with just a phone call, uploaded scan of driving license and utility bill.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:09 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dougster75
We have a similar situation but XE.com were happy to increase our online transaction limit to a sum that would more than cover this sum with just a phone call, uploaded scan of driving license and utility bill.
It was the bank's limit that I was thinking of - IME they can be terribly inflexible.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

thesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant futurethesquonk has a brilliant future

Thank you all!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

It was the bank's limit that I was thinking of - IME they can be terribly inflexible.
Crikey - didn't even think that would be an issue. I'd assumed that if XE were sucking out the cash from the bank then they wouldn't have had a choice...better check into that. Never easy...
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for your loss.

Most of us use services like XE, UKForex etc, as you get a better rate than a bank will usually give.
I have just set up with xe.com based on information from this board and today I have been able to compare with the bank for the first time. xe.com was actually very slightly worse than the bank (Bank of Scotland).

Bear in mind, though, that if you get the funds deposited in your UK bank account and try to do that from over here, using Internet banking, you may come up against online transaction limits or other silliness.
£5,000 at Barclays. And you cannot wire money - you can use faster payments, so make sure the forex company will accept these. Oanda didn't seem sure, so I went with xe.

Your options are:
Neither xe nor Oanda will accept incoming wires from third parties.
Get the funds deposited into a UK account, send them a letter with instructions on how to wire your money to your US account.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I have wound up several estates (in Scotland) where beneficiaries are in the US. I have no idea about the US tax situation, filing etc.

However, inheritance tax, at least in UK, is not a tax on the beneficiary. It is a tax on the estate but only if the estate is large enough to be taxable. By the time the money is available to be paid to the beneficiaries, it is net. So you should have nothing to worry about on this front. This is only my experience from the point of view of the UK system.

My firm's practice is to request the beneficiary's bank details. We also need the ABA routing number because the US I don't think uses the IBAN system.

Then we just instruct the transfer and 'bobs your uncle' the funds transfer.

I have never had an issue with limits either. and I have instructed transfers of much larger sums. Provided the sources of funds can be tracked, there should be no issues for you.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I should also add that these funds will be held on deposit with the Solicitor who is dealing with the estate in the UK. It is very easy for Solicitors to transfer funds internationally through their client account. You should contact the Solicitor and they will discuss this with you.