Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:20 pm
  #1  
Cleo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

I contacted a friend who is a big wig in a car dealership, I went to him to find out
where I need to write to in order to get the letter required for importing my vehicle
into the United States when I move there.

He has told me that it isn't necessary to get a letter from the manufacturing company
of my vehicle if there is a sticker on the inside of the hood or the drivers door
stating that it was built in accordance to the guidelines of the USA at the time of
manufacturing.

Can someone let me know if this is true? I have the sticker and I'm really not sure
of where I'm to write to for a Ford vehicle if I have to go the other route. Also
what exactly is the letter from the manufacturer letter called (if I have to ask for
one)? And what other information will I require?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Cleo
 
Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:43 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,012
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Your big wig friend's advice is garbage. A sticker on the inside of the door means nothing without the letter from the manufacturer stating that your vehicle meets the safety requirements for a model, make and year of your car. This letter is not only needed for the custom's officer at the POE but at some, and I use the word some because there are always DMV's that have different rules, will not register or give you a title for your vehicle in their state. NYS will allow you to register it without the letter but you won't get a title and you won't be able to sell it down here. Also if the custom's officer wants, they can deny you entry of the vehicle since you migrating.

Rete
Whose Husband went through this several times with several cars between Ottawa and New York State
Rete is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:45 pm
  #3  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,012
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

It is called a letter of compliance and the information re the manufacturer and contact numbers can be found at:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/Can0206.html

Although it has not been updated on the FAQ page you could have found it easily enough from the old URL listed there.

Rete
Rete is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2002, 9:20 pm
  #4  
Dabear?
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Ok I just got off the phone with the US customs at Sweetgrass, Montana What they
told me is this. the Stickers in the cars are 99.9% WRONG most of the time. The
letter of Compliance is the most important document that you can get. EPA has an
Immigrant exception. The one thing that they say is the most important is the DOT
safety. They also said the best thing to do is to call them after you get your
letter of Compliance and ask any questions concerning this. They do allow you to
bring in your vehicle Duty free as a immigrant. Also here is a link for more
information concerning this

http://www.customs.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm

Cleo wrote:

    > I contacted a friend who is a big wig in a car dealership, I went to him to find
    > out where I need to write to in order to get the letter required for importing my
    > vehicle into the United States when I move there.
    >
    > He has told me that it isn't necessary to get a letter from the manufacturing
    > company of my vehicle if there is a sticker on the inside of the hood or the
    > drivers door stating that it was built in accordance to the guidelines of the USA
    > at the time of manufacturing.
    >
    > Can someone let me know if this is true? I have the sticker and I'm really not sure
    > of where I'm to write to for a Ford vehicle if I have to go the other route. Also
    > what exactly is the letter from the manufacturer letter called (if I have to ask
    > for one)? And what other information will I require?
    >
    > Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Sincerely Cleo
 
Old Jun 25th 2002, 5:20 pm
  #5  
Cleo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Thank you so much for your answers Rete and DaBear, I really appreciate your
help on this.

I thought I might mention that I contacted the Ford phone number on the page that
Rete sent and they (after taking a ream of information) told me to call my local Ford
Dealership.

For a Ford Product you would be looking for an M-Letter 01M08 Letter of compliance.
Apparently the Ford dealership does not need to actually see your vehicle however
they will need your VIN number, mileage, and of course the Make and Year of the car.
You will also need your destination in the USA (where you will be living)complete
with zip code and phone number. To top it off you get another fee to add to your
growing costs of moving of $50.00 Canadian.

I hope this is of help to someone..

Cleo and Dave
 
Old Jun 25th 2002, 5:44 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,012
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Thanks on the update with the Ford Company Cleo

Jim had to deal with Chrysler. For them you didn't go to the local dealer but call their Michigan number and gave them the same information you said and they told you if you were "compatible" or not. However, they said no for the first car so he traded it in and got another one. But only after clearing it with Michigan first. After the financial transaction at the dealership, was then told by Michigan, no the car was not compatible. Eventually Jim's persistent and obnoxious letter writing campaign to the CEO of Chrysler and various other officials made them issue a check for the cost of upgrading the car to met specs in the US to get him off their back. We didn't upgrade. Went back to Canada and traded her in for another vehicle instead.

R
Rete is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2002, 6:20 pm
  #7  
Dabear?
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

thats not bad GM charges $65.00 + GST for the same letter.

Cleo wrote:

    > Thank you so much for your answers Rete and DaBear, I really appreciate your help
    > on this.
    >
    > I thought I might mention that I contacted the Ford phone number on the page that
    > Rete sent and they (after taking a ream of information) told me to call my local
    > Ford Dealership.
    >
    > For a Ford Product you would be looking for an M-Letter 01M08 Letter of compliance.
    > Apparently the Ford dealership does not need to actually see your vehicle however
    > they will need your VIN number, mileage, and of course the Make and Year of the
    > car. You will also need your destination in the USA (where you will be
    > living)complete with zip code and phone number. To top it off you get another fee
    > to add to your growing costs of moving of $50.00 Canadian.
    >
    > I hope this is of help to someone..
    >
    > Cleo and Dave
 
Old Jun 26th 2002, 4:20 am
  #8  
Mrs_blackross
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

so you know what it looks like, I uploaded the letter I got from Ford to my old
website http://www.geocities.com/mrsblackross/back/ford.png

also, all they wanted from me for the letter was the year, make, model, and VIN of
the car. destination didn't matter, and neither did the mileage.

Even with the letter, I am still trying to get my car properly "imported" to the US
even though it is already here, and am finding it difficult to get a straight
answer. I called customs, and they tell me to call the DOT. DOT tells me to call a
POE (the closest in my case is BWI airport), I call the POE and they tell me to call
another agency altogether that handles car imports. I was also told (by the DOT i
think..one of them anyways) that I still have to pay duty on the car even though I
am a legal immigrant. They said it was something like 5% of bluebook value on the
car, which in my case is almost nothing..LOL but I found it interesting that I still
have to pay for it.

"Cleo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thank you so much for your answers Rete and DaBear, I really appreciate your help
    > on this.
    >
    > I thought I might mention that I contacted the Ford phone number on the page that
    > Rete sent and they (after taking a ream of information) told me to call my local
    > Ford Dealership.
    >
    > For a Ford Product you would be looking for an M-Letter 01M08 Letter of compliance.
    > Apparently the Ford dealership does not need to actually see your vehicle however
    > they will need your VIN number, mileage, and of course the Make and Year of the
    > car. You will also need your destination in the USA (where you will be
    > living)complete with zip code and phone number. To top it off you get another fee
    > to add to your growing costs of moving of $50.00 Canadian.
    >
    > I hope this is of help to someone..
    >
    > Cleo and Dave
 
Old Jun 26th 2002, 5:20 am
  #9  
Dabear?
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Importing my vehicle to the US when/if I'm approved...

Well I don't know anymore LOL. You should have asked them about the immigration
clause that says you don't have to pay duty if you are immigrating to the USA

Mrs_Blackross wrote:

    > so you know what it looks like, I uploaded the letter I got from Ford to my old
    > website http://www.geocities.com/mrsblackross/back/ford.png
    >
    > also, all they wanted from me for the letter was the year, make, model, and VIN of
    > the car. destination didn't matter, and neither did the mileage.
    >
    > Even with the letter, I am still trying to get my car properly "imported" to the US
    > even though it is already here, and am finding it difficult to get a straight
    > answer. I called customs, and they tell me to call the DOT. DOT tells me to call a
    > POE (the closest in my case is BWI airport), I call the POE and they tell me to
    > call another agency altogether that handles car imports. I was also told (by the
    > DOT i think..one of them anyways) that I still have to pay duty on the car even
    > though I am a legal immigrant. They said it was something like 5% of bluebook value
    > on the car, which in my case is almost nothing..LOL but I found it interesting that
    > I still have to pay for it.
    >
    > "Cleo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Thank you so much for your answers Rete and DaBear, I really appreciate your help
    > > on this.
    > >
    > > I thought I might mention that I contacted the Ford phone number on the page that
    > > Rete sent and they (after taking a ream of information) told me to call my local
    > > Ford Dealership.
    > >
    > > For a Ford Product you would be looking for an M-Letter 01M08 Letter of
    > > compliance. Apparently the Ford dealership does not need to actually see your
    > > vehicle however they will need your VIN number, mileage, and of course the Make
    > > and Year of the car. You will also need your destination in the USA (where you
    > > will be living)complete with zip code and phone number. To top it off you get
    > > another fee to add to your growing costs of moving of $50.00 Canadian.
    > >
    > > I hope this is of help to someone..
    > >
    > > Cleo and Dave
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.