Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunization Requirements for school?

Immunization Requirements for school?

Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all
Default Immunization Requirements for school?

My 7 & 5 year old girls will be attending school in the US. I need a list of required immunizations for them so they can be enrolled, is there a definitive list of required immunizations available?

regards

G
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Immunization Requirements for school?

Originally Posted by neojynx
My 7 & 5 year old girls will be attending school in the US. I need a list of required immunizations for them so they can be enrolled, is there a definitive list of required immunizations available?

regards

G
Hi neojynx

Got a list off the school, but you could ring the school district you plan to attend if you aren't sure of the exact school.

I know the only extra one we had to have was Hep B which is a six month course of jabs - ended up having the third one over here. Don't forget if you have had chicken pox to get a letter off the Doctor in the UK stating this otherwise you will need the jab for this as well.

Hope this helps.

Soap addict
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:17 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

What state are you moving to?

Welcome to BE, by the way

Also, if the company isn't paying for the jabs, then find a county clinic in whatever county you are going to move to. You will pay half of what a doctor would charge you, for the same shot.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

check the school site, or the site for education for your state because it varies from state to state, and maybe even by the county.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:21 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There is no national standard. It varies from state to state, so you will need to check the requirements for that state. Generally the website of the school district (i.e. the level above the school itself) will have information on different immunizations. For example, here is the list of Texas:

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize...chool/6-14.pdf

You can print it out and take it to your GP. Probably best to get them over there (free) and then get it recorded in the WHO 'Yellow Book' which is sort of an immunization passport recognized all over the world.

Immunizations are taken seriously, and if you children are not uptodate, in many districts they are not allowed to attend classes.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

In our district you also need a negative TB test (Mantoux test).
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I second the bit about getting a letter from your GP saying your children have had chickenpox. In Maine you have to either supply the letter or proof that your child has been immunised. If you supply neither then your child can still go to school but they will be excluded for a week every time anyone in the school gets chickenpox - same goes for daycare. That is Maine state legislation that came in this year so probably not the same everywhere but worth being aware of.

Also bring your proof of your kids' vaccinations and don't let anyone have it! Make loads of copies and give them out. You need it for everything.

My kids needed to have had:

3 shots of MMR and DTP before age 4
1 booster shot of MMR and DTP since age 4
chickenpox shot or letter from doctor

That was it...
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I second the bit about getting a letter from your GP saying your children have had chickenpox. In Maine you have to either supply the letter or proof that your child has been immunised. If you supply neither then your child can still go to school but they will be excluded for a week every time anyone in the school gets chickenpox - same goes for daycare. That is Maine state legislation that came in this year so probably not the same everywhere but worth being aware of.

Also bring your proof of your kids' vaccinations and don't let anyone have it! Make loads of copies and give them out. You need it for everything.

My kids needed to have had:

3 shots of MMR and DTP before age 4
1 booster shot of MMR and DTP since age 4
chickenpox shot or letter from doctor

That was it...
Thought they needed a tetanus jab too, well up where MIL teaches anyway....but a titre test is a good thing to have to show what you're immune too, probably better than just a doctors letter, in the UK it's free, in the US can be free if you've got medical insurance, otherwise cost a couple hundred, but it's cheaper than getting jabbed if you know you're covered for everything.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thought they needed a tetanus jab too, well up where MIL teaches anyway....but a titre test is a good thing to have to show what you're immune too, probably better than just a doctors letter, in the UK it's free, in the US can be free if you've got medical insurance, otherwise cost a couple hundred, but it's cheaper than getting jabbed if you know you're covered for everything.
I think in some places a tetanus is generally a 'recommended' shot to keep current with, not necessarily something required by the school (as it doesn't really deal with a contagious disease). But kids being kids, there are lots of nails and other things they can step on so it is best to be uptodate on that as well.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think in some places a tetanus is generally a 'recommended' shot to keep current with, not necessarily something required by the school (as it doesn't really deal with a contagious disease). But kids being kids, there are lots of nails and other things they can step on so it is best to be uptodate on that as well.
Aye, I think that might have just been where MIL teaches, out in the sticks and all that
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Redlippie
What state are you moving to?

Welcome to BE, by the way

Also, if the company isn't paying for the jabs, then find a county clinic in whatever county you are going to move to. You will pay half of what a doctor would charge you, for the same shot.
Thanks - moving to Texas..
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Isn't tetanus the T in DTP? Diptheria Tetanus and Pertussis? Do you need a tetanus shot on top of that?

I forgot that you could have the blood test to prove immunity to chickenpox - that's another option. I really didn't want to put my kids through a blood test though, and also wasn't willing for them to be vaccinated for a disease they'd already had, so I begged the doctor for a letter and got one. I struggle with my kids having vaccinations since my daughter needed antibiotics to recover from her DTP.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

fern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nice

Originally Posted by neojynx

regards

G
When we moved over my little girl was only 10months old. I would suggest getting a Pediatrician like Cooks Childrens for example. They have a full list of vaccine requirements, check with the school. l also found a webiste called www.babyzone.com they have an immunization sheduler from birth right up to 18yrs old. Hope this helps