Reload this Page >

Immunisations required for school in the US

Immunisations required for school in the US

Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Abfab10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immunisations required for school in the US

Hi everyone,

It's is my first post here but I have learnt so much from reading other threads here.
I thought I would take my chances to ask about immunisations.

We are moving to Dallas, Texas in July. The school districts say in addition to what they have already had in the UK, they also need both hepatitis jabs and also chicken pox jab (varicella). The hep jabs are fine, I can get those done for my kids. However, my kids have both had chicken pox.

Will I still need them to have had the jab or show proof they have had chicken pox?

Just wondering if anyone had the same question before and know the answer?

Thanks in advance!
Abbie
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:47 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunisations required for school in the US

I can not say for texas, where I am, the form says

"If the child named on this CIS had chickenpox disease (and not the vaccine) disease history must be verified"

There are several options for verification, including (for some grades) parents stating age and date for the disease.

So you might want to look at the documentation for your school area.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I (think) I have attached the form for you to have a look at, of course this is just so you get an idea of the potential solutions, you need your local documentation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cisform.pdf (593.9 KB, 216 views)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

In our school district we needed documented evidence from our UK Dr. My eldest daughter had chicken pox when she was 3 and I had pictures but no documented evidence from the GP as she didn't go to the Dr. They gave us the option of having the vaccine or a blood test. I objected to her having the vaccine as she had already had chicken pox so she ended up having a blood test. This was driven by the school not the US Dr, the Dr thought the photos where good enough for him to confirm she had had chicken pox but the school nurse wanted it confirmed at the time she had it.
Every school district seems to have a different policy even in the same state so I'd check what is required specifically where you plan to go.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Abfab10
Hi everyone,

It's is my first post here but I have learnt so much from reading other threads here.
I thought I would take my chances to ask about immunisations.

We are moving to Dallas, Texas in July. The school districts say in addition to what they have already had in the UK, they also need both hepatitis jabs and also chicken pox jab (varicella). The hep jabs are fine, I can get those done for my kids. However, my kids have both had chicken pox.

Will I still need them to have had the jab or show proof they have had chicken pox?

Just wondering if anyone had the same question before and know the answer?

Thanks in advance!
Abbie
Doctors and schools let you believe no vaccinations = no school, however this is not true.
All states have a medical exemption (where you must get proof from a doctor, for example if you kid is allergic or had a previous reaction etc).
Some states have a religious exemption (but I don't think that Texas is one of those).
And other states (including California, where we live), you can get a philosophical exemption. This means that you don't believe in vaccinations and won't have your kid vaccinated. You typically have to sign a form, often needs to be witnessed, saying this.

You could go route (3) above, even though you have had vaccinations, if the school is being difficult since it will get the school off your back.

You should check the detailed requirements for your specific school. And I have a feeling that these exemptions are definitely available for public schools (the american definition, meaning not private schools if you get my drift) but if you're going to a private school, different rules may apply.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:56 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by jackattack
Doctors and schools let you believe no vaccinations = no school, however this is not true.
All states have a medical exemption (where you must get proof from a doctor, for example if you kid is allergic or had a previous reaction etc).
Some states have a religious exemption (but I don't think that Texas is one of those).
And other states (including California, where we live), you can get a philosophical exemption. This means that you don't believe in vaccinations and won't have your kid vaccinated. You typically have to sign a form, often needs to be witnessed, saying this.

You could go route (3) above, even though you have had vaccinations, if the school is being difficult since it will get the school off your back.

You should check the detailed requirements for your specific school. And I have a feeling that these exemptions are definitely available for public schools (the american definition, meaning not private schools if you get my drift) but if you're going to a private school, different rules may apply.
Good point jackattack, I just checked up where I am, and there is a "personal/philosophical" exemption. Which covers everyone for any reason really.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Docu...fExemption.pdf

(Link provided for OP reference, until they find their appropriate docs)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why have the hassle though?

Already had chicken pox, so get the titre test done and jobs done.

Would need the vaccination record in the future anyway if you plan on staying.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice

My kids were born in the Uk and Canada so no req for Hep B. I had an issue with the school requiring the Hep B but because it is a schedule to get it done (I think 1,2 & 6 months) the school nurse got bored of waiting and so just got me to sign the waiver I wasn't going to bother at all but Bob is right, if you apply for Green cards you have to get them and there isnt really a way around that.
Good luck x
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

We self-reported initially, but ended up needing the shots for the green cards. The civil surgeon wouldn't sign off on my kids app until she was up to date with both Hep and Varicella.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We just told the doctor that the kids had had chickenpox and she wrote a letter to whom it may concern.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

My kids had chicken pox pre their move to the US, with no evidence - the school nurse allowed me to sign a waiver no problem, and the Civil Surgeon put VH (varicella history, ie, 'their mum told me') on the form. I'd taken photos with me to the medical and offered to show those, but he looked at me as if I were mad.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

The nurse at our kids doctors office just writes Varicella Disease on their vaccination forms. It seems to never stay on the system though so every time I need the forms for school, they say "oh they have had no varicella shots?" and I say "they have had chickenpox" and they say "oh really?" and I say "yes they used to live in England" and they say "oh ok" and write Varicella Disease on the forms. Job done.

As for Hep A it's not compulsary here, only "recommended". So my kids had only Hep B.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:25 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

HepA is only required in about 13 states, but the most common vaccine course, Twinrix, gives protection for both A and B so if you are getting that series it isn't any additional shots just additional protection.