Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunisations

Wikiposts

Immunisations

Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunisations

Originally Posted by Lanyu
With regards to completing the course in the US after having the first shot here how does that effect the immigration medical?
My daughter is due shot number 2 next week she's only 7
My understanding is that they just have to have started the course, so she should be fine.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJSassy
We moved to Texas last year, my older 2 boys were 12 & 15. They has their first Hep B when we arrived - which was needed to start school. They will require 3 all together, 3 months between first 2 and 6 months for 3rd. If they had started the course in the UK, it would just continue on here, no need to start again.

The only other thing I would advise you check out (depending on your children's ages) is a medical form for playing sports at school. Required for Texas - not sure about California??

My boys are in Junior High & High School, and to join any team (soccer/swimming etc) they have to have had a full medical carried out by a doctor. We got these done before we left the UK as they are valid for 12 months and was just one less thing to worry about when we arrived here.

Children can take part in every day PE, but any team sport requires a medical. We were charged £75 by our GP for this service, but it was well worth it (plus we could claim it back).

Good luck with your move x
Thank you! That's useful to know, as my son is very sporty, so will be keen to get involved in school teams right away (and will be good for making friends quickly). Will have to figure out if it'll be better to get it over with here or risk fitting it in when we arrive (we may well end up with little or no time before the start of the new school year).
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kodokan
Same here in AZ; a physical is needed for team sports (and residential summer camp - that one had to be in the last 3 months before the camp started). Probably not worth paying in the UK though, as most insurance policies here include an annual physical for free. It can all be rolled into a 'new patient registration check up', and is a good way to get to know a local doctor.
Thanks for your replies - it's really helpful to get everyone's experiences!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Thank you! That's useful to know, as my son is very sporty, so will be keen to get involved in school teams right away (and will be good for making friends quickly). Will have to figure out if it'll be better to get it over with here or risk fitting it in when we arrive (we may well end up with little or no time before the start of the new school year).
Bear in mind there's absolutely no concept of a waiting period here - whenever I've made appointments for things like doctors and dentists, I'm usually offered a selection starting from 'later that afternoon' to 'a couple of days off'. So it's usually quite easy to fit these things in, even right at the last minute.

A kid's physical is around 20-30 minutes. My son had one a few months ago, aged 13, and was weighed, measured, blood pressure, listen to heart and lungs, strip to underpants and check spine alignment, and one that you may or may not want to mention to your boy in advance: the classic hand-down-pants 'and now cough' . (Do they do this in the UK too now with kids?) They check jab records are up to date, and offer any missing or seasonal ones like for Hep A, HPV (the cervical cancer one), or flu.

They also did a multi-choice mental health screening questionnaire about feelings, bullying, etc. It's all quite straightforward stuff.