Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunisations

Immunisations

Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immunisations

Decluttering and financial organisation aside, I tackled the first big thing on my moving checklist yesterday - seeing the nurse to go through the children's immunisation record...

She was brilliant - went through the California requirements one by one, checking them off against their records. As I already knew, all they needed was Hep B. It was only at this point that I admitted to the children that they were about to have a jab! They were very brave, if a little horrified that it did actually hurt! On the plus side, she didn't charge anything for it, which I wasn't expecting - will have to make the most of the free healthcare while we can!!

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that this immunisation needs to be administered over the course of six months. We're just about OK, but one for others to moving over to watch out for. I think I've read on here that if they haven't had the full course by the time they move, they may have to start again, so something to bear in mind!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunisations

We did the first 2 in the UK the third in the US wasn't an issue. I can't recall having to pay for the 3rd shot either think it was covered on our insurance.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:28 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Decluttering and financial organisation aside, I tackled the first big thing on my moving checklist yesterday - seeing the nurse to go through the children's immunisation record...

She was brilliant - went through the California requirements one by one, checking them off against their records. As I already knew, all they needed was Hep B. It was only at this point that I admitted to the children that they were about to have a jab! They were very brave, if a little horrified that it did actually hurt! On the plus side, she didn't charge anything for it, which I wasn't expecting - will have to make the most of the free healthcare while we can!!

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that this immunisation needs to be administered over the course of six months. We're just about OK, but one for others to moving over to watch out for. I think I've read on here that if they haven't had the full course by the time they move, they may have to start again, so something to bear in mind!
Just to point out that this will probably vary by state, we're moving to Texas and have been told it'll be fine to get the first hep b shot here and complete the course in the US.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I had read of someone on here that had an issue, but perhaps that was an isolated case. Good to know it's not so much of an concern as I thought it might be.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they hep A vaccine too, just to protect themselves even if not required for school?

Assuming that vaccine is available in the US.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Do they hep A vaccine too, just to protect themselves even if not required for school?

Assuming that vaccine is available in the US.
No - not needed for California. I had it before going to India on business last year, but won't inflict my children with any more jabs that aren't strictly required just at the moment!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:10 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

No - not needed for California. I had it before going to India on business last year, but won't inflict my children with any more jabs that aren't strictly required just at the moment!
Yet Hep A is required in Texas. Luckily I can get my son A and his first lot of B in one shot, poor mite
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the right age kid - 11 to 15 year olds - they can have a different course of Hep B jabs, which is only two jabs rather than the usual three. This was very useful with my then 11 year old, as he's the needlephobe who goes pale, clammy, and looks like he might throw up.

I found that his UK meningitis baby vacs weren't up to code either, as apparently they only covered a couple of strains whereas here it's a vac that includes 4 different ones. So he had to have that one too.

Didn't need the Hep A for school though, and they accepted my 'they've had chickenpox, wanna see the spotty pics?' story in place of the varicella vac (as did the Civil Surgeon for their GCs).
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Its combined vaccine here so no extra shots needed.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Do make sure everyone is up to date with pertussis/whooping cough boosters (adults included), pretty endemic in California unfortunately.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to completing the course in the US after having the first shot here how does that effect the immigration medical?
My daughter is due shot number 2 next week she's only 7
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

We moved to Texas last year, my older 2 boys were 12 & 15. They has their first Hep B when we arrived - which was needed to start school. They will require 3 all together, 3 months between first 2 and 6 months for 3rd. If they had started the course in the UK, it would just continue on here, no need to start again.

The only other thing I would advise you check out (depending on your children's ages) is a medical form for playing sports at school. Required for Texas - not sure about California??

My boys are in Junior High & High School, and to join any team (soccer/swimming etc) they have to have had a full medical carried out by a doctor. We got these done before we left the UK as they are valid for 12 months and was just one less thing to worry about when we arrived here.

Children can take part in every day PE, but any team sport requires a medical. We were charged £75 by our GP for this service, but it was well worth it (plus we could claim it back).

Good luck with your move x
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJSassy
Children can take part in every day PE, but any team sport requires a medical. We were charged £75 by our GP for this service, but it was well worth it (plus we could claim it back).
Same here in AZ; a physical is needed for team sports (and residential summer camp - that one had to be in the last 3 months before the camp started). Probably not worth paying in the UK though, as most insurance policies here include an annual physical for free. It can all be rolled into a 'new patient registration check up', and is a good way to get to know a local doctor.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kodokan
Same here in AZ; a physical is needed for team sports (and residential summer camp - that one had to be in the last 3 months before the camp started). Probably not worth paying in the UK though, as most insurance policies here include an annual physical for free. It can all be rolled into a 'new patient registration check up', and is a good way to get to know a local doctor.

You're probably right we just haven't found a doctor yet lol. That was on my to do list on arriving, 7 months later and its still on the list x
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Do make sure everyone is up to date with pertussis/whooping cough boosters (adults included), pretty endemic in California unfortunately.
Scary - yes, all up-to-date, including us adults as we both need it for travel to India. Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.