Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration violation PLEASE HELP ME

Immigration violation PLEASE HELP ME

Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:41 am
Just Joined

alhanson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Well, that's not surprising. It is a picture of Jeremy Clarkson, not Pulaski!!
NC Penguin
Good Heavens
:scared:

Are you certain?

Or is that just your opinion?
:PARTY:
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by alhanson
..... Are you certain? .....
No, she's right (on this occasion at least! ) it is the Great Man himself, J Clarkson Esq.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Talking

if u were smart, u should've stayed in your country with your kid and just vanished. You'd still have him.

My friend went through this already. It's pretty much impossible for him to get the kid back, and he's already given up.

-= nav =-
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration violation PLEASE HELP ME

Originally posted by CMM
I traveled to the US over 5 years ago on a visitors visa. I naturally
overstayed and_ became an illegal alien. They told me that if I left
the US I would not be able to return. I just went through a divorce
with a US citizen and left back home with our child without telling
him and received a 10 year ban from the US. I was then put through
Hague Convention proceedings and ordered to return to the US on a
significant public benefit parole visa for only 90 days to attend a custody
hearing._ I lost custody of my child and did not return when my 90
days was up becasue I did not want to leave my child. Is there
anything that I can do now to stay in the US?
wow, what a mess. First you overstayed, then you did the worst thing which was mess with travelling as an illegal and got yourself the 10 year ban when you should have consulted a lawyer first and attempted to resolve it with the BCIS before you got into trouble with immigration officials at the border. That is rediculous. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you did not take immigration at all seriously and now you are getting into trouble for it. You could have showed SOME respect for the immigration laws and process at some point. You might have secured a travel document of some kind and immigration might have been more lenient. Heck, I'd ban you too. Why should we allow someone to completely ignore the laws and show no respect for them as if they don't apply to you?

other British people go out of their way to comply with the laws and even leave early to make sure they don't accidently overstay because they know that US immigration is heavy-handed. It is foolish to think otherwise.

Last edited by jaytee; Jan 15th 2004 at 9:52 am.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 3:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hindesight is 20/20, people do some stuff under duress, and without knowing what the consequences are.
But unfortunately ignorance is no defense in law.
Life is a shit, what can you say?

It obviously didn't help that the custody hearing was in the USA, as they are certainly not going to allow a US citizen to leave the country against the wishes of a USC parent.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice

I am sorry for you and the situation you find yourself in. I hope that you can work something out where you can at least have regular visits to your kid.
You said that you were an illegal alien and "they" said that if you leave the country you wont get back in. Who are "they". I would have thought if you are refering to immigration that they could have just deported you anyway.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 3:44 pm
CMM
Just Joined

CMM is an unknown quantity at this point

Customs told me that, but at that time I was still married and they said I needed a visa waiver in order to leave and return. This was a few months before I took my children and left the country.