Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration queues over the next 10 days

Immigration queues over the next 10 days

Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration queues over the next 10 days

Just curious really: with the H1B applicants starting to enter the country from now onwards, do non-immigrant queues at US immigration increase much? Obviously there aren't a whole bunch of extra flights arriving, so the numbers of people aren't going to change much, but the balance of visas/VWPs might... possibly? Or are they a statistically insignificant bunch?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration queues over the next 10 days

Something I've never heard anyone say:

"Let's avoid the H1B stampede at the end of September".
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

When we moved over a year ago (tomorrow) we were apparently the first with 'H visas' that the immigration guy had seen for quite a few months. I guess if you get behind someone with a visa it could slow things down, especially a family. We were stood at the desk for almost half an hour as it took forever to process all of us, especially when the guy put the wrong dates on the i94's and had to start again!

I doubt they queues are worse though as the same number of people are on each flight (well max passengers) and there are only 65000 H1B's issued each year and not all will be entering in the first few days as not all have even been issued yet, some people are still waiting.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression they just sent you to secondary after a cursory look - I had no idea there was a wait at the initial POE with IV/NIVs.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 21st 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I was under the impression they just sent you to secondary after a cursory look - I had no idea there was a wait at the initial POE with an IV.
H1b is not an immigrant visa.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
I guess if you get behind someone with a visa it could slow things down, especially a family.
Yes, that was kind of what I was guessing at, though wondering whether H1Bs made up more than a handful of people per day per airport.

I do have memories in the mid 90s of large groups of us waving J-1s at immigration during June though. Some flights had a good couple of coachloads on board. Of course, in those days things were a lot quicker!
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Something I've never heard anyone say:

"Let's avoid the H1B stampede at the end of September".
I try and avoid the H1B stampede at the end of September. Assumed it was something everyone did.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig

I doubt they queues are worse though as the same number of people are on each flight (well max passengers) and there are only 65000 H1B's issued each year and not all will be entering in the first few days as not all have even been issued yet, some people are still waiting.
Plus those granted for jobs with non-profits which are not subject to the cap.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I try and avoid the H1B stampede at the end of September. Assumed it was something everyone did.
Me too because it seems most of them come to Houston