Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to US with health conditions.

Immigrating to US with health conditions.

Old May 18th 2021, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigrating to US with health conditions.

Originally Posted by Totallyspiffing
Hi all,

Hoping to get some guidance regarding a relatively specific issue we have and hoping those with experience have some helpful insight.

Husband is a US citizen, I am British. We are in the process of applying for my CR-1 visa so i can join him in the US. We are 7 months into this process and expecting it to take at least another 6 months until I will be moving.

I've just been diagnosed by my doctor with kidney disease. Within the next year I will need 2 surgeries for treatment and at sometime in the future I will need my right kidney removed.

Our issue is that we are able to sponsor my visa ourselves, but we are no means wealthy enough to afford out of pocket healthcare in the US. It is also my understanding that I would not be able to recieve Obamacare/medicaid, without being financially liable, until I become a US citizen which I've heard is 10 years after receipt of Greencard.

I guess what I'm trying to establish is if, with my new medical diagnosis, it's worth continuing our visa application to move me to the US or if we should instead decide for my husband to join me here in the UK where the healthcare is free. It's essentially a question of how feasible is it to afford healthcare as an immigrant for a pre-existing condition; what kind of insurance premiums can I be expected to pay? Husband is self-employed so no coverage there. Is it just going to be impossible to afford healthcare for myself in the US?

I feel like it's either I recieve the healthcare and we go bankrupt and not able to financially support ourselves or our family or I go without healthcare for myself entirely and end up eventually getting worse.

I honestly don't know what to think/how to feel and if anyone's been in a similar position I'd appreciate hearing your stories.

TIA
I might be the best possible person on this forum to answer this question. I moved in 2018 with an L1 visa. I have kidney disease and I knew about it. I had a transplant in NY in 2021. It "cost" me next to nothing because of my insurance plan and having already paid most of my out of pocket stuff (few thousand a year - you hit it very quickly). Make sure you budget for it when moving. US healthcare if you can afford it is much easier to access than the UK. It's really important you have an insurance plan in place and a stable job with your employer so that you don't lose coverage. I would not recommend coming here under any other scenario, because the costs without insurance are astronomical. If it's a transplant you need, you would probably be denied listing because of the affordability aspect (if you did not have insurance).

Last edited by droidguy72; May 18th 2021 at 7:15 pm.
Old May 18th 2021, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by droidguy72
I might be the best possible person on this forum to answer this question. I moved in 2018 with an L1 visa. I have kidney disease and I knew about it. I had a transplant in NY in 2021. It "cost" me next to nothing because of my insurance plan and having already paid most of my out of pocket stuff (few thousand a year - you hit it very quickly). Make sure you budget for it when moving. US healthcare if you can afford it is much easier to access than the UK.
How much do you pay each month on premiums and what is your deductible?
Old May 18th 2021, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
500ish for my family of 4. individual Deductible is 350 and out of pocket 1700.
Old May 18th 2021, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not too relevant given that poster's spouse is employed with health insurance whereas the OP's spouse is self-employed.

Btw, an ACA policy is now essentially a freebie this year _if_ you've received any unemployment compensation. As unemployment was extended to un- or under-employed, self employed people during covid, that would be a great route for the OP if that applied.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 18th 2021 at 7:31 pm.
Old May 18th 2021, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

A very good company plan then (even 10 years ago hubby and I were paying $500 a month for just the two of us on a company plan)

The OP does not, at the moment, have this option - her husband is self employed with no health insurance at the moment.

As you say, if you can afford it (and have a good company plan) US healthcare is 'easy' to access - not so much in the OP's situation.

Old May 19th 2021, 11:11 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A very good company plan then (even 10 years ago hubby and I were paying $500 a month for just the two of us on a company plan)
You're not wrong. I work for a healthcare company and mine is no where near as good as that one purports to be.

I currently pay $165 a month for my plan (just me, spouse has their own) but the deductibles are pretty high.