Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to US - Do noT residents get UK Single Personal Allowance?

Immigrating to US - Do noT residents get UK Single Personal Allowance?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Geniez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrating to US - Do noT residents get UK Single Personal Allowance?

Hello everyone, greetings to you! I just immigrated to the US and am trying to sort out the tax situation with both countries. Something I would not wish on anyone

This seems to be a good place, so I wonder if anyone who has been there before can help me with some information?

I have several questions. I understand that one needs to pay tax for any monies coming from the UK, like pensions (is this right?) -

Mi question at the moment is: Do non residents get the personal allowance while in the US? - because if one has to pay tax at least one should be able to claim the allowance...

Thanks very much for your help and I look forward to an interesting exchange here.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to US - Do noT residents get UK Single Personal Allowance?

i filed the 2009-2010 uk tax in October. We had rental income on our UK house. The 'profit' was under our personal allowance so we did not have any tax due on it in the UK. We also have to decaler the rental income and expenses on our US tax forms but i dont know what impact it makes - we tend to get a large refund for a variety of reasons so dont know if that improves it or hurts it.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to US - Do noT residents get UK Single Personal Allowance?

Originally Posted by Geniez
I have several questions. I understand that one needs to pay tax for any monies coming from the UK, like pensions (is this right?) -
Not necessarily. It will help if you post your tax residence status (and or immigration status). There are so many possible answers to your question that it's not really fair to ask people to write them all out for you.

That said, there are several tax threads running right now, so have a read through the forum, and, visit IRS.gov and start working your way through there.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Geniez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello MsElue

Thank you for your reply. Are you Non Residents and Non Ordinarily Residents?

As I understand it according to the information I have been reading, when you are out of the UK, as the above, sometimes you don't get the Personal Allowance. That's what I am trying to find out.

So I wonder why/how you were entitled to an allowance? Your response will be helpful
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:12 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've been having a battle with HMRC for best part of a year over this....check out the thread here, on which I've just posted an update.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geniez
Hello MsElue

Thank you for your reply. Are you Non Residents and Non Ordinarily Residents?

As I understand it according to the information I have been reading, when you are out of the UK, as the above, sometimes you don't get the Personal Allowance. That's what I am trying to find out.

So I wonder why/how you were entitled to an allowance? Your response will be helpful
Hi and welcome to the site.

It's helpful if you hit the quote tab (located at the bottom right hand side of the post you wish to reply to)...that way we know which post you're referring to. It's also easier on the eye if you use the regular black font.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

From responses so far, my radar says: help vampire!

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:24 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

OP,
You need to provide us with your citizenship, residency status and where your income will be coming from. You mentioned pensions and those can be tricky as they are covered by the US/UK tax treaty.