Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to like the USA

Wikiposts

I'm trying to like the USA

Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm trying to like the USA

Originally Posted by lansbury
Good hard working people

Wide open space

Big cheap SUVs

Guns

Decent health care

Friendly People

Jam free roads

Wide choice of food

People dress to be comfortable, not to impress

You don't have to wait for the latest TV shows to reach the UK

Big houses

Cheap gas
Decent healthcare?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have posted this before...we saw someone walking across a mall car park with a white stick. He got into a car...on the driver's side and drove away.
That's truly terrifying. What kind of thought process must you have to think it's OK to drive on the roads if you need a white stick to negotiate the car park...although at least he didn't have to go far to get to the disabled spot.

Last edited by _Clueless$y$t€m_; Dec 19th 2012 at 4:03 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Decent healthcare?
Jam free roads

Not the I-90 when I was running late for my citizenship interview, that's for sure ...

Ethelred, I am in the same boat as you. Still would love to live in the UK and let my American family experience that but recent events in Belfast have soured me on that idea a wee bit so I am trying to make the best of things here for a change.

However - my experience in the US thus far is what turned me into the left-wing twat that I am today so perhaps that is what you should like ...
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Jam free roads

Not the I-90 when I was running late for my citizenship interview, that's for sure
When I do a Red Cross blood run I can tell me wife within 15 minutes when I will be home. The shortest trip is 2:30 and the longest 6 hours. I doubt it takes me longer more than 5% of the time.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
When I do a Red Cross blood run I can tell me wife within 15 minutes when I will be home. The shortest trip is 2:30 and the longest 6 hours. I doubt it takes me longer more than 5% of the time.
As long as I stay close to home it's the same. It's only when I have to go to Chicago (and I rarely do if I can get away with it) when I face the inevitable jam.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:51 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear, here we go again.
Not content with a " Convince me NOT to go back to the UK thread " which dragged its sorry arse through most of November until a Mod finally put it out of its misery along comes the latest instalment of why you don't like America.
Why not just launch a " Let's talk about me " thread and divert your daily outpouring of bile into there ?
This is just attention-seeking at its worst.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I like each of the 3 states I have lived in. Michigan, Indiana and now South Carolina. All for different reasons. My kids are enjoying being here and that helps me enjoy it. My husband is really enjoying his new job and again that helps me enjoy being here. I feel more at home here than I did in the UK. My family all live in Scotland and I have not lived in the same country as them for half of my life. I cannot imagine moving back. I do get homesick every so often, mainly for chocolate or pub lunches, but I try not to dwell on it as that really won't help. I am more of a glass is half full than half empty type of person. I could be thoroughly miserable here if I wanted to. I could moan about fact we only have 1 car but at least we have a car, live in a crappy townhouse with a washer dryer older than I am but at least we have a roof over our heads, we don't have much money but at least we have enough to put food on the table. Life if what you make of it and I am choosing to make it a good one.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:57 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Jam free roads

Not the I-90 when I was running late for my citizenship interview, that's for sure ...

Ethelred, I am in the same boat as you. Still would love to live in the UK and let my American family experience that but recent events in Belfast have soured me on that idea a wee bit so I am trying to make the best of things here for a change.

However - my experience in the US thus far is what turned me into the left-wing twat that I am today so perhaps that is what you should like ...
Understandable. It's definitely far better to put all into making it work when you've a family. It's also not going to be quite the same UK as the one we left behind. Those events in Belfast would sour me too.

It's a big country. That's one beauty of it. Scenery wise, it has pretty much everything.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:26 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Decent healthcare?
I have always had wonderful healthcare in the US. I think the healthcare available is top notch! Never had a problem.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I have always had wonderful healthcare in the US. I think the healthcare available is top notch! Never had a problem.
So have I...but there again we have great heathcare insurance...many don't.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:37 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Morning Cuntbert.

It's a shame JRG is gone, because she could teach you a thing or two about trolling. It's really not your forte.
The fact that she is not here rather suggests she wasn't that great in the trolling department,don't you think ?

However I would appreciate it if you would put me on ignore once again,
And permanently this time.
Then I don't have to join in your conversation all about you.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
The fact that she is not here rather suggests she wasn't that great in the trolling department,don't you think ?

However I would appreciate it if you would put me on ignore once again,
And permanently this time.
Then I don't have to join in your conversation all about you.
I suggest you put him on ignore if his threads/posts annoy you so much.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Decent healthcare?
+1

Our experience is it is as good as in the UK, just FVCKINBG expensive...

Except for the tests & cr@p you have to do incase you sue the doctor or in case s/he just wants 'more wonga'...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
Oh dear, here we go again.
Not content with a " Convince me NOT to go back to the UK thread " which dragged its sorry arse through most of November until a Mod finally put it out of its misery along comes the latest instalment of why you don't like America.
Why not just launch a " Let's talk about me " thread and divert your daily outpouring of bile into there ?
This is just attention-seeking at its worst.
And you managed to accomplish this mission nicely...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I like the fact that coming to live in the USA meant I found BE....

(I know, I know... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.