Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Illegal Workers: My Two Cents

Wikiposts

Illegal Workers: My Two Cents

Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:01 am
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future
Default Re: Illegal Workers: My Two Cents

Originally Posted by Partystar
Who would do all the monkey work that they are currently doing?!?!?! Not many 'legals' would take it on!
So judging by the jokes about picking fruit, mowing lawns and monkey work...I guess the consensus here is exploitation is good. Bring these people over and take advantage of their desperation by giving them the crap jobs that idle Americans don't want to take.

Sorry - NO. Either bring them over via paperwork and approval (just as I had to endure) and give them a real place in society - or send them home. I'm with the minutemen. There should be no grey area - no "I'll hire you and pay you $2 an hour to clean my roof". Either come over via legit legislation or piss off.

And whoever the idiot was with the comment "You don't like anyone who isn't you" - **** off. Read my post, argue with intelligent repartee or don't bother replying at all.

Last edited by Manc; Aug 29th 2005 at 6:12 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:03 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Wages would rise, though.
Yep, I do not doubt that. It would probably force the government to take a stronger stand against unemployment, as they'll be plenty more jobs to go around & a lot of problems if the positions don't get filled.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I wonder how many USCs would be prepared to pick produce in the heat of California's Central Valley, or do similarly awful jobs, even if the wages were higher.

Every year, quite a number die on the job...

They would have rights and know their rights. The employers of the undocumented know that there are two great advantages: low wages and unlikely to demand rights or sue for them. In addition, the government chooses not to prosecute employers.

Surprisingly enough, there is actually a visa for temporary farm workers. In true US immigration style, it's so complicated and bureaucratic that almost nobody bothers with it!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:04 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
...And if you do - then you are an idiot, and it's people like you with your "love thy neighbor" attitudes that let these people exist here in the US...
Tell me about it! These freaks who keep talking about "love thy neighbor" should be rounded up with the illegals!!!

I blame that Jesus guy. All that shit about treating others as you would be treated, loving thy f***ing neighbor and turning the other cheek... sounds like some kind of liberal Jewish commie fag manifesto to me!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:07 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Um.... more like if these people got about 1/4 of the way up the side of Mount Everest, dodging thirst, hunger, police, armed citizenry, and poisonous insects and snakes along the way. To name a few.

They cannot make the money that most workers that emigrate legally from "first world" nations can make. HTF is that stealing your glory?

Or is it simply the right to reside here that's the big prize? in that case many "first worlders" would happily cede Everest to the illegals and piss off back home, if the money and opportunity wasn't here.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I do not doubt that. It would probably force the government to take a stronger stand against unemployment, as they'll be plenty more jobs to go around & a lot of problems if the positions don't get filled.
Ten years ago, students would often do the restaurant, landscaping, cleaning jobs part-time to supplement their income. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to enter this world in Arizona without fluent Spanish. You would feel a total outsider working it with only English.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:09 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...argue with intelligent repartee or don't bother replying at all.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll just sit back and laugh at you instead.

Talking of which, I've never quite understood why making a dick of yourself in a public place in front of a bunch of strangers holds such appeal to you WL, but I guess we all get our kicks in different ways.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

And whoever the idiot was with the comment "You don't like anyone who isn't you" - **** off. Read my post, argue with intelligent repartee or don't bother replying at all.
Trying to add more people to your fan club again?
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They would have rights and know their rights. The employers of the undocumented know that there are two great advantages: low wages and unlikely to demand rights or sue for them. In addition, the government chooses not to prosecute employers.

Surprisingly enough, there is actually a visa for temporary farm workers. In true US immigration style, it's so complicated and bureaucratic that almost nobody bothers with it!
Oh, I agree with you! But so many people argue that these people are taking jobs away from legitimate USCs - whereas I believe that your average USC doesn't want to do these jobs, no matter what.

Ultimately, this problem is only going to be solved through significant improvements in living conditions and wages in these people's own countries - so they would have little to gain by moving here. But I doubt that this is going to happen in my own lifetime, so in the meantime, the US will have to find a way of allowing them to work here legitimately.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

So judging by the jokes about picking fruit, mowing lawns and monkey work...I guess the consensus here is exploitation is good. Bring these people over and take advantage of their desperation by giving them the crap jobs that idle Americans don't want to take.

Sorry - NO. Either bring them over via paperwork and approval (just as I had to endure) and give them a real place in society - or send them home. I'm with the minutemen. There should be no grey area - no "I'll hire you and pay you $2 an hour to clean my roof". Either come over via legit legislation or piss off. But all these idiot hispanics who are forcing everyone else to have to learn spanish just to survive in the economy (because they don't have the means to learn English!!) should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Why are the hispanics 'idiots' - far from it if they are exploiting the situation.

Not sure that your original post deserves or merits any intelligent repartee as it contains none. It is little more than a rant of extreme views and put forth no arguements. This is followed up by name calling and uncessary swearing.

So toss in a time bomb post and enjoy watching us pull it apart as we have with all your previous troll like posts.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:11 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - NO. Either bring them over via paperwork and approval (just as I had to endure) and give them a real place in society - or send them home. I'm with the minutemen. There should be no grey area - no "I'll hire you and pay you $2 an hour to clean my roof". Either come over via legit legislation or piss off. But all these idiot hispanics who are forcing everyone else to have to learn spanish just to survive in the economy (because they don't have the means to learn English!!) should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Who said I didn't agree with you? I was just asking a question that has often popped up in conversations that we've had about the matter in question. Don't be so defensive, everyone has a right to their own opinion, don't take things too personally.

I totally agree that everyone should be legal, I did it, it was hard & annoying, but I did, now it's just the long wait for processing. I also agree that I shouldn't have to learn Spanish to talk to people, shop somewhere, have dinner or have to sit there & hear people talking in another language, I actually think it's a bit rude. I would never live in a country if I didn't speak the language, but that's just me.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

How many illiegal immigrants do you know? And how many do you think are working high profile jobs making big bucks and are living the damn high life???
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
How many illiegal immigrants do you know? And how many do you think are working high profile jobs making big bucks and are living the damn high life???
They're saving up for champers and chartered helos, don'tcha know, for their excursion to Everest. That's why they LOOK poor. But they aren't, not really.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Who said I didn't agree with you? I was just asking a question that has often popped up in conversations that we've had about the matter in question. Don't be so defensive, everyone has a right to their own opinion, don't take things too personally.

I totally agree that everyone should be legal, I did it, it was hard & annoying, but I did, now it's just the long wait for processing. I also agree that I shouldn't have to learn Spanish to talk to people, shop somewhere, have dinner or have to sit there & hear people talking in another language, I actually think it's a bit rude. I would never live in a country if I didn't speak the language, but that's just me.
I hardly think its rude to speak in a foreign/different language! Does this preclude you from foreign holidays or do you just not speak while eating out?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:17 am
Banned

WarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant futureWarriorLife has a brilliant future

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to cry "Troll". Oh, go away you ex-teacher's pet.

So you illegally sneak into a house and tell the owner he needs to start speaking your language because you are too poor to learn English. You avoid all the expense and trauma of immigration. You earn cash in hand money without taxes or deductions.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. This world is full of short-cutters, cheapskates and criminals who depend on pillars of strength like me to pick up their slack and get them through life.

If you are happy to do this, then fine. I'm taking matters into my own hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.