Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Wikiposts

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:38 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by Drebin
Of course it is, the comparison is saying that a regular Batchelors in England is an order of magnitude 'better' than the US Batchelors degree. How long it might take I agree is irrelevant.

Based on my experiences studying over both sides of the pond, and working with graduates of 'top' Uni's in both places... Yeah, I think it's insulting.

(Holy thread hijack, Batman!)
To be honest you obviously have more exposure to the US system than myself and I don't want to get deep into conversation on this as to be honest i think most Batchelors from most uni's (regardless of the country of origin) aren't worth tuppence ha'penny anyway.
Its a shame that a degree is now something that most students feel they HAVE to do, rather than something they WANT to do or may be beneficial to them. I blame employers and governments for this, but that's just my opinion.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Aye, fair play. At the last place I worked in the UK actually, the two best people there had no relevant education past GCSE level. Conversely some people doing the exact same job had PhD's!

Plus I'd say 95% of the people who I graduated with on my CS degree I doubt could hold down a job more advanced than call-center work, or being a bullshitting IT 'suit'.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. I just think the US comes off a touch unfairly when comparisons of this type are made on this board.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:53 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Plus I'd say 95% of the people who I graduated with on my CS degree I doubt could hold down a job more advanced than call-center work, or being a bullshitting IT 'suit'.
I can identify with that.
In my last job I got shafted salary wise cos I have no IT degree and ended up having to train experienced IT graduates to do the job they were being paid 50% more than me to do.
In the end I stopped doing it saying that "i didn't feel comfortable being asked to train people who are supposedly better qualified and more knowledgeable than myself".
Seeing my tl run around trying to find a replacement when I point blank refused to give a new PM an overview of the project architecture helped to dull the pain a bit.

Still he probably has had the last laugh - my current job involves implimenting CMM
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:12 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

back on topic

Australias too far away, the animals look strange and kill you , they let in anyone with a CSE in woodwork, shake a family tree and a ball and chain falls out, its too hot and humid, the wine is shit, and most of my mums family live there :scared: Also a lot of the expats on the Aus fourm seem to want to leave so that can't be good
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

OP:

what are you looking for in a place to live? Do you like where you live now? If so, why? If not, why?

Where you live in the US and Oz will markedly determine your experience as they are, as others have pointed out, huge countries.

If I was looking at it from a life experience point of view, I would say US, because it is so damned hard to get a chance to live and work here.... and relatively easy to get into Oz. You can go there later in life if you like.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:41 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
back on topic

Australias too far away, the animals look strange and kill you , they let in anyone with a CSE in woodwork, shake a family tree and a ball and chain falls out, its too hot and humid, the wine is shit, and most of my mums family live there :scared: Also a lot of the expats on the Aus fourm seem to want to leave so that can't be good
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

so you are commenting about the education system in Arizona NOT the US ? - my eldest goes to one the best high schools in CA - it is simply light years ahead of the school she went to the UK and that was considered good ...what makes you think the UK is better ?

Same here. In the UK, my sons attended a London comprehensive that had lost its head, who had been the driving force behind the school's achievements. Here, they attend high school in a small college town where pushy college-educated parents call the shots. (A fair proportion of them are uni profs...)

However, ON AVERAGE, UK schools are far superior to average US schools.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I can identify with that.
In my last job I got shafted salary wise cos I have no IT degree and ended up having to train experienced IT graduates to do the job they were being paid 50% more than me to do.
I feel your pain...

The other day I did a bit of surfing to identify companies to which I might offer my services. I'm not looking for a permanent position, just freelance consulting work, but I looked at their Careers section. I found that the sort of position I would want to apply for IF I was interested in a permanent position, all require a F'ing PhD, or at the very least an MBA .

I don't have that - just a quarter of a century of experience at all levels in my field. I know that no PhD could possibly help me do my job better. But I also know that, here in the US, I probably wouldn't stand a chance...
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Same here. In the UK, my sons attended a London comprehensive that had lost its head, who had been the driving force behind the school's achievements. Here, they attend high school in a small college town where pushy college-educated parents call the shots. (A fair proportion of them are uni profs...)

However, ON AVERAGE, UK schools are far superior to average US schools.
Yep - we live in a small city with 5 highly rated universities - exactly the same story, still not sure of the averages though - Im trying to find a Sunday Times article my mum sent me that basically said US high schools/universities where better than the UK
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
When will the Mods listen to my pleas

Bob where are you?
Hound paul..
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I love it too, wish I still had mine!
http://nei.gfunk.org/ direct downloads for home and away and neighbours
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

if you can't afford it in the US you won't be able to afford it in the UK
I went to a very good state school, cost me bugger all...and anyway, Eton is cheap at around £7K a year, compared to D'verbrookes at £20K, but then that is a rather nice little school.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Partystar

Plus, there's not much chance of a kid bringing a gun to school in England. There's a chance of that here & I don't like it one bit, plus I know it does happen to people like us/in this area. My SMIL's brother was killed in a 'glory' killing & hubby was at school when a gun was brought in too, luckily no one was hurt that time.
Where MIL teaches, when the school banned guns, the kids went on strike *lol*
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

What? Those ones experiencing teacher shortage crisises for the past ten years? Those ones with next to no money for decent equipment? I heard the school I went to in my home town which has been going for 60+ years is to be shut down recently. :-/
same problems over here though ain't it...it all depends on where you go...and the uni thing...well i don't know, but the missus went to a really good one in the US, and doing a masters through Kings College London, and well, her essays although good and done in a US style were basically rated as shite because they didn't show thought to political fronts but were just resumations of class work *l*

Oh, and 5-7 years in college....drinking degrees are just as big over here as they are in the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Where MIL teaches, when the school banned guns, the kids went on strike *lol*
omg.. :scared: I have a friend that teaches at a secondary school in Manchester, they have to let students of any age out of class to have cigarette breaks..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.