Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you could vote for brexit again, would you?

If you could vote for brexit again, would you?

Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you could vote for brexit again, would you?

I always thought it was more practical to hasten the demise of the EU from within.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't able to vote, due to the 15 yr rule but I would have voted remain. Now, given the mess all the parties have made of it, I would probably vote leave and let the English have their independence. The union is dead with this deal.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vindico
I voted Leave and would do so again as my reasoning has not changed, irrespective of the last 3 years. My reasons for voting Leave were about the future issues relating to the necessities of Eurozone integration (the need for a European treasury, taxes, fiscal transfers) and the problems and tensions this would create within the EU, as much as about other aspects like structure, democratic accountability, customs union, precautionary regulatory philosophy (which is not necessarily bad but often overreaches IMHO), and the tendancy towards centralisation and harmonisation rather than leaving many issues to the nation state level.

Regardless of the political mess of the last 3 years, nothing about my reasoning has changed and my judgement is the same. There are benefits of membership, of the single market and customs union, but also costs - not only financial but democratically and in terms of policy flexibility. My judgement remains that the UK is a somewhat square peg in a round hole, and that the UK's exit was inevitable, if not now then it would have come sooner or later.

In the UK the EU has always been talked of, and sold on, transactional terms. It has always been about trade/economics, with the political "tackling greater issues" a somewhat secondary overlay. Whereas across Europe it is spoken of as the European Project, as a fundamentally and primarily political initiative to build a confederation, if not federation, of states. Ultimately I just think a comprehensive free trade agreement, coupled with cooperation on certain things like scientific research, environment, or whatever, on a bi-lateral basis would be a far better and happier arrangement for both UK and the EU.
Lets be honest, you are in a minority of those who voted Leave with your first paragraph, in precisely the same way that I am in a minority (smaller one) of people who would happily go full hog into the EU (which is precisely a Political Union and always has been - a goal of Economic, Political and Social cohesion - doing so being believed as a way of avoiding conflict, something we'd all been pretty good at for quite some time).

The reality is a majority of those voting Leave did so with the control of Immigration and Laws as their primary concerns. The first one of those won't be fully "solved" and the latter brings about the farce we now see with people being angry with Parliament for not doing as they wish, when that is precisely the form of Government we have voted to restore to a former glory. We do no have a consensus led democracy in place. Equally, the majority who voted Remain do not really believe in the true end goals of the Project, and have allowed the transactional relationship to exist, while sniping at the entire concept as something that it's better to be part of and fix rather than focusing on what it brings. This is where I agree with you fully, the UK is a very big square in the round hole, always has been, seems likely it always will have been, so getting out is probably best for all concerned in the long run. It would only have ended in tears eventually.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

Previous Euorpean political reunions have not ended very well, no reason to believe there would be any change.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
This is where I agree with you fully, the UK is a very big square in the round hole, always has been, seems likely it always will have been, so getting out is probably best for all concerned in the long run. It would only have ended in tears eventually.
In what respect is it best for all concerned in the long run. It's certainly not best for those of us who want to remain part of the EU.

"it would have ended in tears eventually" is nonsensical speculation.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Previous Euorpean political reunions have not ended very well, no reason to believe there would be any change.
There's also no reason to believe that the EU would follow the path of the "political reunions" you refer to. Which are they by the way?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
There's also no reason to believe that the EU would follow the path of the "political reunions" you refer to. Which are they by the way?
That is their dilemma, once they went beyond the free trade area, it is their version of BREXIT, in a limbo land which logically can not survive but extremely difficult to go back and disastrous to go forward.

Might be easier to list who has not had a go at one time or another, for some reason the Austro Hungarian Empire seems the most comparable but obviously different times different issues.

Some have lasted longer than others but does beg the question how long the EU can last, nobody seems to want to talk about that forgetting the UK involvement. Nothing lasts forever after all. My impression is that things now happen much quicker, look at the rise and fall of the US Empire, would have lasted much longer in prior periods.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

In what respect is it best for all concerned in the long run. It's certainly not best for those of us who want to remain part of the EU.

"it would have ended in tears eventually" is nonsensical speculation.
Because a majority of the population do not truly believe in the EU Project. There are a large number who like the benefits of being a member as it stands, I fully accept that. The ultimate end goal of the EU though is not shared - I just personally believe that not having that faith allows it to be constantly sniped at and undermined. This is why I think it will end in tears - it's never really had sufficient backing, and as soon as controversial policies are pushed for by the EU, the UK will cry foul - things like moving away from Veto based voting, or single currency (an absolute must for it to succeed in it's stated goals).

Don't get me wrong, I am very pro-EU. I absolutely see that you can't come to any other conclusion than a short-medium term negative economic impact by leaving, that leaving takes away opportunities from people (or at least makes them more difficult, just like moving to the USA) and so on. I think in a generation the landscape may have changed a little, but I still wouldn't hold out hope of people voting to return to the EU if joining was explained fully. To be a part of it, you have to at least agree with it's broad goals. You can make a case to reform and improve, but you have to be on-board with where it has to head. The UK has always believed it could change both, it can;t and it shouldn't.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

To be a part of it, you have to at least agree with it's broad goals.
But you DON'T have to agree with those goals to be a part of it - securing an explicit, legally-guaranteed exemption from "ever closer union" was pretty much the single most important concession that David Cameron was able to come back with from Brussels.

We already have a legally-guaranteed exemptions on joining the Single Currency, on joining Schengen, on a rebate of our contributions and then the exemptions that Cameron secured on "ever closer union" and ever being forced to contribute to Eurozone stability or propping up the Single Currency.

Even before the renegotiation we had the best deal that any EU member had, and we walked away from making it even better still.

There isn't a hope in hell that we will ever get that deal again if we rejoin in the future, and we're going to have to wave goodbye to every single one of those opt-outs if and when we want back in.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's my point though, the majority of the UK population, today, doesn't really buy into it, hence these constant deals. It's only a personal opinion, and I've made it very clear I know I am a small minority, but for me you have to embrace it. Every "concession" further erodes it, further enables those against it to exploit the fear - a fear based in reality, that things will and should continue to converge in Europe (or fail completely, but it should be allowed to try). If people really don't want that, then being part of it would continue to be a tortuous affair and continue to polarise. We can't just discount those that are vehemently against the EU, and we don't have enough fully supportive to counter balance that, today. One good thing that may come from this is a light is being shone on the many benefits membership can and does bring, my hope would be that grows. Hope is a horrible mistress.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
That is their dilemma, once they went beyond the free trade area, it is their version of BREXIT, in a limbo land which logically can not survive but extremely difficult to go back and disastrous to go forward.

Might be easier to list who has not had a go at one time or another, for some reason the Austro Hungarian Empire seems the most comparable but obviously different times different issues.

Some have lasted longer than others but does beg the question how long the EU can last, nobody seems to want to talk about that forgetting the UK involvement. Nothing lasts forever after all. My impression is that things now happen much quicker, look at the rise and fall of the US Empire, would have lasted much longer in prior periods.
Honestly if the Austro-Hungarian empire is the closest example of a comparable union you can find then we don't have comparable unions with which we can draw conclusions applicable to the EU.

I'm not sure why "nothing lasts forever" is a justification for leaving the EU. Why not remain part of it until it evolves or changes?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Because a majority of the population do not truly believe in the EU Project. There are a large number who like the benefits of being a member as it stands, I fully accept that. The ultimate end goal of the EU though is not shared - I just personally believe that not having that faith allows it to be constantly sniped at and undermined. This is why I think it will end in tears - it's never really had sufficient backing, and as soon as controversial policies are pushed for by the EU, the UK will cry foul - things like moving away from Veto based voting, or single currency (an absolute must for it to succeed in it's stated goals).

Don't get me wrong, I am very pro-EU. I absolutely see that you can't come to any other conclusion than a short-medium term negative economic impact by leaving, that leaving takes away opportunities from people (or at least makes them more difficult, just like moving to the USA) and so on. I think in a generation the landscape may have changed a little, but I still wouldn't hold out hope of people voting to return to the EU if joining was explained fully. To be a part of it, you have to at least agree with it's broad goals. You can make a case to reform and improve, but you have to be on-board with where it has to head. The UK has always believed it could change both, it can;t and it shouldn't.
If a majority of the population do not truly believe in the EU project why is it not best for all concerned that we educate them of its value?

Leaving might be best for those who stand to financially benefit from doing so. But I cannot accept the logic that it is best for all concerned.

As someone who is very pro-EU, how is leaving the EU the best outcome for you? How do you stand to benefit?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Honestly if the Austro-Hungarian empire is the closest example of a comparable union you can find then we don't have comparable unions with which we can draw conclusions applicable to the EU.

I'm not sure why "nothing lasts forever" is a justification for leaving the EU. Why not remain part of it until it evolves or changes?
Came to mind as it contained very disparate entities with in the end a remote and overbearing center.

I do not think the EU can evolve, well fast enough to meet changing circumstances. Certainly has not so far, in that it does also compare with the Soviet Union.

I see similarities with the US.

Actually I am of the opinion that the best of a bad situation was to stay in.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:30 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vindico

In the UK the EU has always been talked of, and sold on, transactional terms. It has always been about trade/economics, with the political "tackling greater issues" a somewhat secondary overlay. Whereas across Europe it is spoken of as the European Project, as a fundamentally and primarily political initiative to build a confederation, if not federation, of states. Ultimately I just think a comprehensive free trade agreement, coupled with cooperation on certain things like scientific research, environment, or whatever, on a bi-lateral basis would be a far better and happier arrangement for both UK and the EU.
And here is the reason for Brexit
The UK never did and never will understand the EU family !
I should have left the rest of your post in because there one finds most of the misunderstandings, exaggerations, lies, fantasies, etc. that used to (and still do) go around in the UK.
France should never have allowed the UK to join. They were right by saying that an Island mentality (in the most gentil meaning) is not the same as in the rest of the EU.

And now I leave you all, explaining to each other why you, expats, living in another country, voted leave.
Each and every one of you has helped cause this mess in the UK.
Before someone reacts saying I'm an expat as well, I did not vote, was not allowed to, and have young and very upset family in the UK who have to live through this mess.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't vote leave originally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.