Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you could be president for a month?

If you could be president for a month?

Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough
Default If you could be president for a month?

If you could be president of the United States for a month, how would you deal with foreign policy with the Middle East and Europe. How would you fix the economy and the health care system we currently have in the states. And how would you fit in living in the White House and hosting world leaders, and being the leader of the biggest superpower in the world.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:50 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: If you could be president for a month?

Originally posted by ejay1
If you could be president of the United States for a month, how would you deal with foreign policy with the Middle East and Europe. How would you fix the economy and the health care system we currently have in the states. And how would you fit in living in the White House and hosting world leaders, and being the leader of the biggest superpower in the world.
Ok cant resist this one, oh for a constitutional amendment!

The last part, no trouble i have a huge ego!

The earlier part. Ummm? How long do i have? In a nutshell.

Foreign Policy: make new friends, show some respect for other countries views, develop deeper alliances. Solve israel vs palestine. 2 state solution recognition of israel by palestinians. Cut back aid to israel to force them down the needed path. Use a joint EU backed effort to pressure palestinians to end their violence. Iraq? i really dont know right now. As the old irish saying goes when asked the directions to somewhere 'well i wouldnt start from here!'

Economy: tax increases to 40% on earnings over $200,000 per year. Switch to non return PAYE system for all but self employed. Simplify system by scrapping most tax deductions. Raise federal exemption level to $8000 p/a per person. Pressurise states to match it and provide federal replacement funds to assist in transition period. Bring back estate tax at 40% on all estates over $2.5 million. Force all companies biding for U.S contracts to be U.S Headquartered and thus taxed(no more Halliburton $7 billion in govt contracts in Iraq alone but HQ in Caymans so paid around $15 million in U.S taxes last year.) Balance the budget. (Frees up capital markets allows for investment led growth.)Stronger pro-union federal laws to protect workers, in service and low pay industries. More emphasise on worker co-operative councils and german style workers board room places. Raise minimum wage to $8 per hour.

Health care: Universal free at point of delivery coverage, tax payer funded. special health tax to fund it. Cut military to cover additional cost. Invest lots in free primary care cover. Some people will lose some of the rolls royce service they get now but overall cost would come down. (Current spend 15% of GDP with 44 million not covered, admin cost around 12% in USA. In UK GDP 7.8% full coverage admin costs around 1.2%.) The USA has the worst health rating off any major western country according to W.H.O. and its the only one with no universal system, its not rocket science.

In a nutshell thats my manifesto. Of course its all pie in the sky as i doubt any of this would ever survive congress but hey its fun to dream.

Vote Duncs04!!!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:55 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Well that Twát has been there for 4 years and has managed to fück up everything on that list.

(OK that was an obvious answer )

So - If I was an American and the Prez of the U.S of A...?
Foreign Policy ?
bomb the bastards !
Economy ?
blame it on the Chinese imports and then hide.
Health Care system ?
blame it on the drug companies and then take a back hander.
Living in the White House ?
I'm not painting these ******* walls, get some Mexicans to do it.
Hosting world leaders ?
Tony - the KY Jelly is in the bathroom.
Leader of the biggest superpower ?
Is this like having a big red throbbing sports care/penis extension sort of thing...?
"Hey Pootie Poot - look at my Chevy Thunderbird !"

Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:55 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Webbie, so far Duncs has my vote.
As for me I would invest heavily to get the US to provide its' own energy needs ASAP, I would then withdraw from as much involvement with the rest of the world as possible especially the middle east. To me, a very naive outsider looking in, one of the biggest problems, if not the biggest problem in the US, is everybody seems to be bought off and the policies represent that. However, I would simply hope to be an aide to Duncs, as he seems to have put more thought and work into being president .
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jaybob
As for me I would invest heavily to get the US to provide its' own energy needs ASAP, I would then withdraw from as much involvement with the rest of the world as possible especially the middle east. To me, a very naive outsider looking in, one of the biggest problems, if not the biggest problem in the US, is everybody seems to be bought off and the policies represent that. However, I would simply hope to be an aide to Duncs, as he seems to have put more thought and work into being president .

So basically you would want us bring back the policy of isolationism and let the rest of the world take care of its own problems. So we break off all contact with Europe,Asia,Middle East, and Africa. And only do business and work with Canada and Latin America. That doesn't sound too bad, but I wonder what would happen to places like South Korea that would need protection from the North. Do you think Europe could handle keeping peace in their side of the world.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:37 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Dang.

Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
Ok cant resist this one, oh for a constitutional amendment!

The last part, no trouble i have a huge ego!

The earlier part. Ummm? How long do i have? In a nutshell.

Foreign Policy: make new friends, show some respect for other countries views, develop deeper alliances. Solve israel vs palestine. 2 state solution recognition of israel by palestinians. Cut back aid to israel to force them down the needed path. Use a joint EU backed effort to pressure palestinians to end their violence. Iraq? i really dont know right now. As the old irish saying goes when asked the directions to somewhere 'well i wouldnt start from here!'

Economy: tax increases to 40% on earnings over $200,000 per year. Switch to non return PAYE system for all but self employed. Simplify system by scrapping most tax deductions. Raise federal exemption level to $8000 p/a per person. Pressurise states to match it and provide federal replacement funds to assist in transition period. Bring back estate tax at 40% on all estates over $2.5 million. Force all companies biding for U.S contracts to be U.S Headquartered and thus taxed(no more Halliburton $7 billion in govt contracts in Iraq alone but HQ in Caymans so paid around $15 million in U.S taxes last year.) Balance the budget. (Frees up capital markets allows for investment led growth.)Stronger pro-union federal laws to protect workers, in service and low pay industries. More emphasise on worker co-operative councils and german style workers board room places. Raise minimum wage to $8 per hour.

Health care: Universal free at point of delivery coverage, tax payer funded. special health tax to fund it. Cut military to cover additional cost. Invest lots in free primary care cover. Some people will lose some of the rolls royce service they get now but overall cost would come down. (Current spend 15% of GDP with 44 million not covered, admin cost around 12% in USA. In UK GDP 7.8% full coverage admin costs around 1.2%.) The USA has the worst health rating off any major western country according to W.H.O. and its the only one with no universal system, its not rocket science.

In a nutshell thats my manifesto. Of course its all pie in the sky as i doubt any of this would ever survive congress but hey its fun to dream.

Vote Duncs04!!!
Duncan, you have some very good points here just a shame that some people in this country who vote never think of them.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:42 pm
British Trailer Trash

Do you think Europe could handle keeping peace in their side of the world.

The US could still play a part in peace keeping within the remit of the UN. Now isn't that a novel thought?!?!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:33 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think Europe could handle keeping peace in their side of the world.
Hell, I am sure they would do at least as good of a job as they did in Sarajevo/Bosnia/Kosovo the 10 years prior to our "Aggression" over there. Probably as well as they did in Kigali Rwanda 10 years ago also. Boy, Europe led the world on that one, didn't they? Kinda like how they did in the late 30's/early 40's. Since Israel is so much closer to Europe, maybe they could give it a go there for practice, you know- "Solve" the problem as someone said.

No problem, I'm sleeping better already.

Last edited by ironporer; Apr 7th 2004 at 6:41 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

The US could still play a part in peace keeping within the remit of the UN. Now isn't that a novel thought?!?!
UN Peacekeeping.... hmmmmm
Cyprus- UN Peace Keepers on site for 30 years...Island still divided, no permenant solution

Bosnia- UN on site for 5 years, stood by and allowed the genocide to occur. Within 5 miles from Mosul, while the Serbs killed 8000 men.

Haiti- UN on site for 7 years.... still a ****ing mess.

India-Pakistan- On site since 1949, almost came to nuclear war last year

Wake up.... the UN is absolutely worthless, and should be disbanded (or sent to Paris- with no US presence).

For more UN Sucess stories see:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0862135.html
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:56 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Your right i forgot that one.

Additional policies
Economy: 50cents tax on gas (sorry i know its regressive) all proceeds to a fund to develop alternative energy sources with the intent being to make the USA energy self sufficient.

(another one) Set a limit on legal interest rates to be charged for lending. maybe an APR max of 15% over base. This would put all those loan shark companies like Check into cash, cash cow etc out of business, those people are leeches preying on the most economically vunerable. If they want to lend money out thats ok but not at 500% APR thats just usury.

Health care: Price controls on all drugs, just like every other nation. Why import drugs made by Pfizer in Ireland from canada when we could simply buy the same drugs directly ourselves for the same price the canadians pay? (If Pfizer made no profit from selling to Canada they wouldnt do, its just not as hefty a profit as they make in the USA).

Patent Attorney thank you for your private message. I am glad that all the money the Republican party spends on its propaganda has found its mark with you! If you disagree with my suggestions post your own manifesto or offer some sensible arguements against mine (openly). I can pretty much argue the facts behind all my ideas as it happens.

Last edited by Duncs; Apr 7th 2004 at 8:05 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:02 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by ironporer
Cyprus- UN Peace Keepers on site for 30 years...Island still divided, no permenant solution

Bosnia- UN on site for 5 years, stood by and allowed the genocide to occur. Within 5 miles from Mosul, while the Serbs killed 8000 men.

Wake up.... the UN is absolutely worthless, and should be disbanded (or sent to Paris- with no US presence).

The UN needs some reform to make it more effective theres no question about that. Turning our backs on the world is the wrong way to protect our position. Who created the UN? Who wrote the UN consititution? Who was the driving force behind the UN Covenant on Human Rights? America we designed we build it its our job to lead it properly. Unilateralism is an abject failure its international co-operation that is needed. Its just hard to do.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:46 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
Your right i forgot that one.

Additional policies
Economy: 50cents tax on gas (sorry i know its regressive) all proceeds to a fund to develop alternative energy sources with the intent being to make the USA energy self sufficient.
I agree with you completely on this one. The GWB ad mocking John Kerry's 50c tax on gas really makes me mad "Maybe he just doesn't understand what this means to the rest of us" it says. Maybe George just doesn't understand what the environment means to the rest of the world!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:59 pm
British Trailer Trash

Originally posted by ironporer

O.K. so disband the UN, let the US be seen as an interfering imperialist power and watch terrorists/guerillas kill Americans. Now where have I seen that one before?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:16 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

O.K. so disband the UN, let the US be seen as an interfering imperialist power and watch terrorists/guerillas kill Americans. Now where have I seen that one before?
Ummmm, right now try...Falajuh, Najaf, Nasariyah, Baghdad/Kadhimiya, Baghdad/ Sadr City, Karbala, Kut, Amara, Diwaniyah and Basra.

A serious 2 front insurgency this will get very nasty indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.