British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   If you could live anywhere in the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/if-you-could-live-anywhere-usa-858630/)

Pulaski May 28th 2015 4:57 am

Re: If you could live anywhere in the USA?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659378)
..... at least it's liquid wet stuff falling.....I couldn't be doing with the winter's up north.

The winter's what? :sneaky:

Owen778 May 28th 2015 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659378)
I actually like the weather down here. Jun/Jul/Aug are hot and sweaty, can't get away from that, but it just means you use A/C and/or a pool and/or a beer fridge. Plus it is normally breezy which makes it a lot more tolerable. We've been out through Arkansas/Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee/Carolinas, and away from the coastal regions, it gets a lot nastier from what I can tell because the air is a lot more "still". Admittedly, we've only done that a couple of times for a few weeks each time, but it's been the same. Sept - May it is normally lovely here, but this year I'm feeling cheated because we missed out on the normal spring, with all this crappy wet stuff falling out of the sky. Not good. But at least it's liquid wet stuff falling.....I couldn't be doing with the winter's up north.

I agree with all of that, apart from the greengrocer's apostrophe.

When I arrived here, almost three years ago, I assumed that I'd hate the weather, and I'd hate the driving and traffic, and I'd hate the ugly strip malls, then the lack of proper bacon and rarity of decent curry. And while I haven't grown to love any of them, they just are. What I still miss, is friends and family in the UK, and really nice countryside within driving distance. The Hill Country is only a couple of hours, but it's not that special, in my view. Anywhere spectacular is nearer ten hours of driving away.

Yorkieabroad May 28th 2015 6:58 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11659385)
It gets humid here in the summer. Not as hot, but upwards of 95-97% humidity on a 90F day is still not much fun.

We don't actually get a lot hotter than that - it's generally mid 90's, with only the very odd day spiking up to triple digits

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11659400)
The winter's what? :sneaky:

Mods, will you please get a move on with that middle finger smilie :p

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11659418)
I agree with all of that, apart from the greengrocer's apostrophe.

When I arrived here, almost three years ago, I assumed that I'd hate the weather, and I'd hate the driving and traffic, and I'd hate the ugly strip malls, then the lack of proper bacon and rarity of decent curry. And while I haven't grown to love any of them, they just are. What I still miss, is friends and family in the UK, and really nice countryside within driving distance. The Hill Country is only a couple of hours, but it's not that special, in my view. Anywhere spectacular is nearer ten hours of driving away.

Yeah, if you come here expecting a quaint little village in the Cotswolds or a view of Sydney Harbour Bridge, it ain't happening:lol: Other than people, the main thing I do miss is hills. I grew up looking at the North Yorkshire Moors out of my bedroom window, and just took it for granted. There isn't decent natural scenery to look at close enough to be commutable to downtown, but I like water too, so I can get to areas I like closer than 10 hours, and I reckon an hour or so out there are some lovely areas to go biking (road, not mountain)

SultanOfSwing May 28th 2015 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659464)
We don't actually get a lot hotter than that - it's generally mid 90's, with only the very odd day spiking up to triple digits

How's the humidity there? Comparable to up here (very high in summer), or better? Our summers are generally mid 80s, with a few weeks in the 90s and above. It will hit 100+ with heat indices very easily during the hotter periods.

Pulaski May 28th 2015 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659464)
.... Mods, will you please get a move on with that middle finger smilie. .....

I object! :frown: As this is British Expats, it should be a two-fingered V smilie. :nod:

Yorkieabroad May 28th 2015 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11659472)
I object! :frown: As this is British Expats, it should be a two-fingered V smilie. :nod:

I really can't argue with that - it was very remiss of me to forget my roots in my eagerness try to fit in to my local adopted surroundings....

Yorkieabroad May 28th 2015 7:27 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11659471)
How's the humidity there? Comparable to up here (very high in summer), or better? Our summers are generally mid 80s, with a few weeks in the 90s and above. It will hit 100+ with heat indices very easily during the hotter periods.

I've just been working in the backyard and my own little weather station has temp at 89, humidity at 59 and a 9 mph breeze from the SE which is keeping everything quite comfortable.

I don't see current humidity of 59% as typical - more typically summer will see it up in 90's in the mornings, and (according to wikipedia), dropping to the 60's in the afternoon, which seems low to me.

USClimate.org has average high temps as 90/92/93 in June/July/August, but doesn't record humidity.

SultanOfSwing May 28th 2015 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659484)
I've just been working in the backyard and my own little weather station has temp at 89, humidity at 59 and a 9 mph breeze from the SE which is keeping everything quite comfortable.

I don't see current humidity of 59% as typical - more typically summer will see it up in 90's in the mornings, and (according to wikipedia), dropping to the 60's in the afternoon, which seems low to me.

USClimate.org has average high temps as 90/92/93 in June/July/August, but doesn't record humidity.

Sounds about the same as it is here then for humidity, the main difference being the average temps are about 10 degrees higher in the summer, and a lot higher in winter :lol:

I could probably actually deal with that, with AC etc. So there you go, Houston is not shit. Well, the suburbs anyway. I have no desire to live actually in a city. That would be shit because, well, people.

Yorkieabroad May 28th 2015 7:51 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11659509)
Sounds about the same as it is here then for humidity, the main difference being the average temps are about 10 degrees higher in the summer, and a lot higher in winter :lol:

I could probably actually deal with that, with AC etc. So there you go, Houston is not shit. Well, the suburbs anyway. I have no desire to live actually in a city. That would be shit because, well, people.

I've screenshotted that for posterity:lol:

I'm with you on city living - been there, done that, doubt I'll do it again. Never say never though, I have a rental in Downtown Houston that has had the same tenant for about 7 years - a retired lady who didn't want to drive, so moved to the city within walking distance of the ballet, symphony, theater district, a bunch of nice restaurants etc, and only a short light rail ride from the museum district and the like. I guess I may get to that point, but it would be a drastic change - I like my space now....

Lion in Winter May 28th 2015 7:59 am

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652808)
I thought the "exactly" was enough to get a city specific answer :lol:

My wife wants to live by the coast but I like the look of Asheville.

Depends what's important to you and what you are used to or want to move into or away from. I've been to Asheville (and yes, I know that doesn't qualify as a way to judge whether or not it's a good place to live). The countryside is very pretty, but as a former Londoner and subsequent inhabitant of large metropolitan areas my problem with Asheville as a place to live would be the smallness, lack of big city cultural opportunities and general "vibe", and the homogeneity of the population (too much racial segregation for my comfort or enjoyment). If you are a homebody and don't care about any of this, I understand it's an up and coming town and probably pleasant enough.

SultanOfSwing May 28th 2015 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659511)
I'm with you on city living - been there, done that, doubt I'll do it again.

I've never done it, and never want to. Too many people. I hate people.

Yorkieabroad May 28th 2015 9:12 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11659568)
I've never done it, and never want to. Too many people. I hate people.

I enjoyed it at the time. Spent some time in central London, then lived right in the center of the financial district in Singapore for a few years. Great lifestyle for a while, but not when older with family....for me at least.

SultanOfSwing May 28th 2015 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659571)
I enjoyed it at the time. Spent some time in central London, then lived right in the center of the financial district in Singapore for a few years. Great lifestyle for a while, but not when older with family....for me at least.

I've lived in small towns all my life (including one year in Belfast - let's be honest, big city it is not), so that has probably helped shape my view somewhat. I never felt like I was missing out on anything anyway. I'd go further out from the suburbs to semi-rural in a heartbeat though, for the increased anonymity :nod:

Pulaski May 28th 2015 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11659511)
..... I guess I may get to that point, but it would be a drastic change - I like my space now....

If your house, hemmed in as it is, has "space", you'd get lost at Pulaski manor. :rofl:

Yorkieabroad May 28th 2015 9:29 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11659576)
I've lived in small towns all my life (including one year in Belfast - let's be honest, big city it is not), so that has probably helped shape my view somewhat. I never felt like I was missing out on anything anyway. I'd go further out from the suburbs to semi-rural in a heartbeat though, for the increased anonymity :nod:

We're more likely to go semi-rural once kids leave....been looking at places with a bit of land for a while now, but not seen quite the right one. Well, I did find a perfect one a couple of years ago, but wife didn't agree at the time, and I couldn't persuade her. She now wishes we'd done it, not least because it must have doubled in value since then, but c'est la vie. Top of the list of "things we don't bring up when we're mad"..............