British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   If you could live anywhere in the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/if-you-could-live-anywhere-usa-858630/)

English88 May 21st 2015 7:53 pm

If you could live anywhere in the USA?

Hello,

If anyone has seen any of my recent posts, I've been offered a decent job in California (Orange County) and had every intention of taking it but I'm led to believe my current company is going to counter-offer with more money and the option to work remotely.

There's every chance I'll still take the CA offer but hypothetically, I'm wondering where people would go if you had nothing keeping you where you are now and the opportunity to go anywhere? Or if you're already there, tell me about it!

I like the look of North Carolina from what I've read and heard but I've never been there.

Pulaski May 21st 2015 8:03 pm

Re: If you could live anywhere in the USA?

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652792)
..... I like the look of North Carolina from what I've read and heard ......

Very smart. ..... Even if I won the lottery jackpot I wouldn't move more than 150 miles from where I live now, and I might not move at all. :)

English88 May 21st 2015 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11652801)
Very smart. ..... Even if I won the lottery jackpot I wouldn't move more than 150 miles from where I live now, and I might not move at all. :)

Where exactly do you live? I have a couple of colleagues who live there and work remotely and they love it. When I compare what you can get for your money as well... it sometimes seems like a no-brainer compared to CA.

Pulaski May 21st 2015 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652803)
Where exactly do you live? .....

North Carolina. ;)

English88 May 21st 2015 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11652805)
North Carolina. ;)

I thought the "exactly" was enough to get a city specific answer :lol:

My wife wants to live by the coast but I like the look of Asheville.

N1cky May 21st 2015 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652808)
I thought the "exactly" was enough to get a city specific answer :lol:

My wife wants to live by the coast but I like the look of Asheville.

Does his location that says Dixie, not give it away?

English88 May 21st 2015 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11652812)
Does his location that says Dixie, not give it away?

I am under the impression that Dixie is just a general term for the South, I didn't realise it was a town?!

N1cky May 21st 2015 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652814)
I am under the impression that Dixie is just a general term for the South, I didn't realise it was a town?!

:lol: You might be right. I believe there is a Dixie in NC though.

Sally Redux May 21st 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652803)
it sometimes seems like a no-brainer

Yes that's the off-putting part.

rpjs May 21st 2015 8:27 pm

If it weren't for the ridiculous cost of living, where we are right now, Westchester, NY, is pretty nice. Close to a major city for culcha etc, but the actual area we live is very historic, walkable and picturesque.

We quite liked Burlington, VT, when we visited there. Liked the scenery, the vibe of the city, the closeness to good food in French Canada. Definitely we'd consider it if a good employment opportunity ever came up there. Winters would suck of course, but I doubt they're an order of magnitude worse than what we get in Westchester.

Wifey's home region of South County, RI is lovely too. Some great beaches and very reasonable property prices, but a bit of a trek to anything cultural.

I've always been quite drawn to the Pacific NW - love the idea of mountains, fjord-like inlets, vast forests. Put off by the rainy climate - one of the things about the UK I don't miss.

Pulaski May 21st 2015 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652814)
I am under the impression that Dixie is just a general term for the South, ....

You are correct. :)

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11652818)
....... I believe there is a Dixie in NC though.

You are not. :lol:

N1cky May 21st 2015 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11652828)
You are correct. :)

You are not. :lol:

:lol: American Geography was never my strong suit.

Pulaski May 21st 2015 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11652833)
.... American Geography was never my strong suit.

You would make a good American citizen! ;)

N1cky May 21st 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by English88 (Post 11652792)
Hello,

If anyone has seen any of my recent posts, I've been offered a decent job in California (Orange County) and had every intention of taking it but I'm led to believe my current company is going to counter-offer with more money and the option to work remotely.

There's every chance I'll still take the CA offer but hypothetically, I'm wondering where people would go if you had nothing keeping you where you are now and the opportunity to go anywhere? Or if you're already there, tell me about it!

I like the look of North Carolina from what I've read and heard but I've never been there.

I like living where we are, but would need to earn a lot more for it to be the perfect place. I like living somewhere where I can walk into a downtown area with restaurants and bars. The weather is just about perfect, warm in the summer but not unbearably hot or humid, and no snow in the winter. Easily get to a great city (SF), easy access to the beach, wine country, Yosemite, for easy weekends away...

I fancy Portland or Seattle when the kid has left home, don't really know why though, I've never been.

Steve_ May 21st 2015 9:19 pm

Didn't we just have this thread? I seem to recall my answer was if I could live anywhere, that's where I would live, get on the Gulf Stream. :lol:

Failing that I think I said St. Croix.