Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If estate tax is paid in the UK, will it be taxed again by the IRS?

If estate tax is paid in the UK, will it be taxed again by the IRS?

Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:36 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If estate tax is paid in the UK, will it be taxed again by the IRS?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For some reason I thought USC's could not enter lotteries outside the US.
It is certainly frowned upon!

Not only USCs but permanent residents. For instance, the US considers ERNIE a lottery and the UK National Savings will not let you have bonds registered with a US address.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:21 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You only have to inform the IRS about foreign inheritances over $100k. Of course you have to keep the IRS informed about foreign accounts over $10k under FBAR regs and comply with FATCA which requires reporting of foreign investments but with higher initial limits. The reason you have to do this is because you are a US citizen and if you don't you are liable to severe fines. If you don't like it write to your congressman/woman.
Well I am pleased I asked I had no idea, I was totally clueless to all this!!
Thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Im not a USC, even if that were the case
I thought it applied to GC holders too.

Originally Posted by celticgrid
It is certainly frowned upon!

Not only USCs but permanent residents. For instance, the US considers ERNIE a lottery and the UK National Savings will not let you have bonds registered with a US address.
Thank you.