IB Schools

Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:29 am
Just Joined

RCMUM21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IB Schools

It is official, we are moving from the UK to Bradenton in June=) I have been looking at schools for my 8 and 9 yr old. They will be going into 3rd and 4th grade. We do not have a house yet so am unsure of our school district. But, have been looking into Wakefield IB School that is a magnet school so we should be able to apply regardless of our address as soon as we move.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, about IB schools? We plan on staying in the US, but I do like the idea that the children will have more options if they graduate form and IB school.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:00 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IB Schools

used to work in an IB school ( not as a teacher but i was a teacher in the UK)
The IB diploma is very rigorous and takes a lot of time commitment but I'm personally a big fan of it.
The middle years program ( which I believe your children would be going into) is a bit more wishy washy but a good foundation for the diploma program
Happy to answer any specific questions about curriculum etc.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

RCMUM21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Zoe, I like the rigorous work, think it is more similar to what they have been doing. But know that varies from school to school. My son has undiagnosed Dyspraxia (DCD) and possibly SPD, the nhs have assessed him and he scored low enough for a diagnosis but they are going to re check in a year to two to see how he is doing. He is academically very bright, but does struggle with handwriting and some sensory issues associated with school. How would he work into an IB school, would they work with him?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:29 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i think that would be very dependent on the school and not the IB per se.
The IB philosophy is meant to be " inclusive" so there is certainly precedent for accommodations