Reload this Page >

I94 questions!

I94 questions!

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 5:24 am
Just Joined

axon 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I94 questions!

Hello,

I posted a thread last week regarding my damaged passport, I94, and visa and the fact that I'm travelling back to the UK in only 3 weeks (
HTML Code:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321065
). Thanks for the advice.

However I'm still concerned about the I94 - which although readable - was in 2 pieces before I stuck it together with sellotape and is rather crumpled! I'm not sure if this is going to cause me problems - either on departure or re-entry to the US after my holiday.

I guess I don't really understand certain aspects of the system, despite looking at the Embassy website. Specifically could anyone tell me...

1. When I leave the US only for a 10 day holiday, will they take my I94 from me, and if so will they be pissed that its in a bad state? Would they be likely to deny me travel on this basis or are they only concerned about (re)entry to the US rather than departure?

2. After returning to the US after a short trip, do they issue you with a new fresh I94?

I went to the immigration offices today and they told me that I could use form I-102 to apply for a replacement "mutilated" I-94. However this costs around $150 and more problematically, I don't think I would be able to get it back in 3 weeks.

If anyone can give me helpful advice on this I'd be ever so grateful as I'm really seriously starting to panic!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 5:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I94 questions!

To be on the safe side

There is an address in Kentucky (I don't know it off the top of my head) that you should send the VWP piece of paper too if you don't have it removed at the airport going home.

Include with it :- boarding cards, and some statements of financial activities in your home country, such as credit card receipts showing that you are back in the UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 6:00 am
Just Joined

axon 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
To be on the safe side

There is an address in Kentucky (I don't know it off the top of my head) that you should send the VWP piece of paper too if you don't have it removed at the airport going home.

Include with it :- boarding cards, and some statements of financial activities in your home country, such as credit card receipts showing that you are back in the UK.

Thanks but you misunderstand my ?

I want to leave the US just for 10 days vactaion and then come back. So I want to know, do they take your I-94 when you're only leaving for a short time and coming back (or only when the entire duration of the J1 visa is expired) - i.e when I'm gone for good. If the former, are they likely to be annoyed that its damaged (i.e. do they have departure controls?). If its damaged and they take it, will I be given a new one as standard when i re-enter 10 days later?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 7:46 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Your I-94 should be taken from you prior to your departure. What will they think of the state of it? I don't know. Maybe they will ask about it, maybe they won't. If they do then you can explain.

On your way back, on the plane, you should be given a new I-94 to complete.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:07 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

As it's normally the Airline staff at check in who take the I94, I don't think they'll care in the slightest what it looks like. They'll just take like the drones they are and stick it in the drawer with the others for later. That's always been my experience anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
As it's normally the Airline staff at check in who take the I94, I don't think they'll care in the slightest what it looks like. They'll just take like the drones they are and stick it in the drawer with the others for later. That's always been my experience anyway.
Absolutely, they care not a jot. You can leave without one, nobody will stop you.

Getting back in is the issue, I have signed out using the booth most airports now have, Visit America?, actually only noticed it by chance. Scans and copies your passport and gives you a receipt. I have no idea what happens if the machine readable bit is damaged beyond recognition.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:42 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler
...I have signed out using the booth most airports now have, Visit America?, actually only noticed it by chance. Scans and copies your passport and gives you a receipt. I have no idea what happens if the machine readable bit is damaged beyond recognition.
Do you mean the US-VISIT machines?
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Do you mean the US-VISIT machines?
Yep

I have a printed receipt.

So at least I have evidence that I left.