Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i539 Question

i539 Question

Old Aug 8th 2002, 5:43 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 53
sjc123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i539 Question

Dear All

I hope someone can help me out here.

I was working full-time on an L-1 Visa, but lost my job mid April 2002. My L-1 Visa expired April 27th 2002.

I applied for a change of status via i539 to tourist B-2, two days after losing my job, and recieved a notification of receipt from Vermont a week later saying a decision would be made between 120-180 days. It is now August 8 and still no response.

I requested a B-2 extension until Aug 27th while I job hunted.

My question is, can I stay in the US as a tourist legally until I receive notification from INS or should I leave on Aug 27 as requested.

If no, do you think its ok to leave the US on Aug 28th as the flight price is $200 cheaper than the 27th, or would I be 'blacklisted' for outstaying my welcome even by one day?

Thanks for any help!
sjc123 is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2002, 7:43 pm
  #2  
Sylvia Ottemoeller
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: i539 Question

sjc123 wrote:


    > I hope someone can help me out here.
    > I was working full-time on an L-1 Visa, but lost my job mid April 2002. My L-1 Visa
    > expired April 27th 2002.
    > I applied for a change of status via i539 to tourist B-2, two days after losing my
    > job, and recieved a notification of receipt from Vermont a week later saying a
    > decision would be made between 120-180 days. It is now August 8 and still no
    > response.
    > I requested a B-2 extension until Aug 27th while I job hunted.
    > My question is, can I stay in the US as a tourist legally until I receive
    > notification from INS or should I leave on Aug 27 as requested.


You should either leave on August 27, or submit another I-539 asking for an
extension beyond August 27, enclosing the receipt notice and full copy of the
previous I-539 package.


    > If no, do you think its ok to leave the US on Aug 28th as the flight price is $200
    > cheaper than the 27th, or would I be 'blacklisted' for outstaying my welcome even
    > by one day?


In this climate, it would not be worth it to me to overstay. One day's overstay is
pretty much as bad as up to 6 months overstay.
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.