Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i would like to live in us in winter and england in summer

i would like to live in us in winter and england in summer

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

rockstar1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i would like to live in us in winter and england in summer

Hi i would like to live in uk and us both part time,is anyone out there doing this and if so how to go about it,thanks
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:00 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i would likt live in us in winter and england in summer

We will need a LOT more information from you. For starters, are you a dual citizen of the US and the UK?

If not, where do you live now and what nationality do you hold?

Are you retired?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockstar1
Hi i would like to live in uk and us both part time,is anyone out there doing this and if so how to go about it,thanks
Hi and welcome to BE,

When you say you want to live in each country do you mean you want to live AND work? If so then I suggest you first try reading our wiki page here and see if any of it applies to you: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, some people do this. They are of retirement age, they do not work (at least not in the USA), and they are of an age where it's easier to get a B-2 visitor's visa which allows a 6-month stay in the USA at a time.

Does that sound like your situation?

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, some people do this. They are of retirement age, they do not work (at least not in the USA), and they are of an age where it's easier to get a B-2 visitor's visa which allows a 6-month stay in the USA at a time.

Does that sound like your situation?

Rene
There could also be some tax implications, depending on how long you stay in the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

There could also be some tax implications, depending on how long you stay in the USA.

Rene
And the type of visa. Doubt there would be any tax consequences on a B2 visa.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Michael
And the type of visa. Doubt there would be any tax consequences on a B2 visa.
I thought if a person spends too much time in the USA, even as a visitor, they are considered "resident for tax purposes"? Does that not apply to B-2 holders?

Rene
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

I thought if a person spends too much time in the USA, even as a visitor, they are considered "resident for tax purposes"? Does that not apply to B-2 holders?

Rene
If you have "ties" to another country , i.e pay tax in the uk then you will not be taxed in the USA. Its called the substantial presence test.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginstwin
If you have "ties" to another country , i.e pay tax in the uk then you will not be taxed in the USA. Its called the substantial presence test.
Perhaps, but that does not necessarily mean a person is exempt from filing a federal and/or local tax return, depending on the specific situation. This should be discussed with a tax advisor, as 'Resident for tax purposes' and 'Resident for immigration purposes' are two completely separate animals.

Last edited by discoviking; Jan 11th 2012 at 10:05 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Originally Posted by ginstwin
A person on a B2 visa is a visitor and is normally not considered either a non resident alien or a resident for tax purposes but is a foreigner for tax purposes. The substantial presence test is to determine whether a person is a non resident alien or a resident for tax purposes so that wouldn't seem to apply in this case. However since I am not a tax expert, there may be some unusual case were a foreigner (visitor) could somehow be considered either a non resident alien or a resident for tax purposes and should therefore consult a tax attorney.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 11th 2012 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i would like to live in us in winter and england in summer

Health insurance for the US is something to take into consideration, as well as whether your GP would consider you still 'ordinarily resident' in the UK and therefore still entitled to the NHS.