Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I need a wise crack one liner. Suggestions welcome.

I need a wise crack one liner. Suggestions welcome.

Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:34 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a wise crack one liner. Suggestions welcome.

Point out to them that they celebrate on 4th July, where we celebrate every day getting rid?

Refer to it as a civil war - British fighting British?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Tar and feather your interlocutor, and run him/her out of town on a rail?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:23 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Although not a retort. I love this time of year, Thanksgiving. I tell (anyone that didn't hear it a previous year).
"Do you know when the Brits celebrate Thanksgiving?"

"July 4th"
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:04 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Although not a retort. I love this time of year, Thanksgiving. I tell (anyone that didn't hear it a previous year).
"Do you know when the Brits celebrate Thanksgiving?"

"July 4th"
Ha ha. What about "We gave you a country and a language and you fecked them both up".

Then I will duck.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:49 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
But they always get me on the "we kicked your asses out of here". To this I am yet to come up with a top notch wise crack to stick them with.
How did you get over here? If it was work related then you can claim they had to come back for our superior skill sets. If it was marriage then it's our superior love making.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
How did you get over here? If it was work related then you can claim they had to come back for our superior skill sets. If it was marriage then it's our superior love making.
Been here 22 years, no wonder I'm so exhausted. Now it all makes sense.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have a group of good humoured American friends here in Baltimore. Just for the crack they sometimes (referring to WW2) say "If it wasn't for us you would be speaking German right now"....
After 65 odd years, I doubt it, the way Brits are with languages...

Anyway, the US was within 1 vote of voting German in as the official language as opposed to having the current, no official language, which is a lot closer than the UK ever got to speaking German, or any other language
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You might be on to something there. They are always honking on about the French. If I can get them on that it might be a good one. They seem to hate the French yet all have ambitions to see Paris one day.

Addition:
Bollocks. Just googled it. At no time did any French army appear to have defeated a US army. I thought there would be something from the Louisiana Frontier days but nothing came up. I am trying really hard to stay away from the "getting beat by a third world country" in case there are any Vietnam vets in close proximity.
The French were needed to help, not just for supplies and tactics, but it forced the Brits to fight on multiple fronts.

The French have a pretty good military record...but no one wants to admit that.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just say "If it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking French now". My knowledge of the revolutionary war is pretty limited, but i suppose I'm presuming that if we hadn't been around back then, the French would have been the colonial power in charge. Of course, you could turn that around and say (based on the French help to the revolutionaries) "If it wasn't for the French, you'd be speaking English right now". No idea if any of this has any basis in fact or history, but it will probably shut them up or at least have them scratching their heads.There must be a good one relating to Spanish too, bearing in mind the growth of the Hispanic communities here.......
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:02 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

How about "if you were still part of the British Empire, you'd have free healthcare, proper beer and football would be a game that you actually played with your feet"?

Always works for me here in the colonies.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:05 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

A simple "Vive la France" should also do the trick. If it went for le frogs, they'd be speaking proper English.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:55 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

But they always get me on the "we kicked your asses out of here". To this I am yet to come up with a top notch wise crack to stick
"It's arse with an R you w@nk3r!" they love it when you call them w@nk3r, I don't think they really understand bless their hearts
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:19 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, and we took all the best things with us which is why you all want to trace your lineage back to the UK.