Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i need to vent, what is going on in the usa

i need to vent, what is going on in the usa

Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i need to vent, what is going on in the usa

Originally posted by NC Penguin ..... If someone like Pulaski can't stomach my views, he must have a left his conscience/humanity somewhere in the Atlantic when he moved from the UK. ....
My views haven't changed since I lived in the UK.

When I was at school, it seemed to me that those pupils who got a "free lunch" were the ones least likely to eat it anyway. Therefore the well-intentioned free lunches didn't do much good.

I'm sorry, but I resent paying taxes to pay for something that responsible parents would be taking care of themselves. OK I can accept that there are extreme hardship cases, but here in Charlotte most schools now have the majority of their pupils on the free school meals program. Charlotte is a reasonably prosperous city and I do not believe that the majority of pupils live in abject poverty.

Nuff said.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 27th 2003 at 7:42 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robclews
Ask these people:

Starved Boys' Case Investigated

The boys' adoptive parents, Vanessa Jackson, 48, and Raymond Jackson, 50, of Collingswood were arrested Friday and were being held on four counts of aggravated assault and 14 counts of child endangerment. The oldest of the boys, 19-year-old Bruce Jackson, was just 4 feet tall and weighed just 45 pounds when he was found earlier this month. ....
So were they malnourished despite free school lunches? Maybe they didn't attend school at all? If there is a free meals program in their area I would cite this case as evidence that the free meals program is, at best, flawed.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski

<<snip>>

I'm sorry, but I resent paying taxes to pay for something that responsible parents would be taking care of themselves. OK I can accept that there are extreme hardship cases, but here in Charlotte most schools now have the majority of their pupils on the free school meals program. Charlotte is a reasonably prosperous city and I do not believe that the majority of pupils live in abject poverty.

Nuff said.
How much have you seen of the poorer parts of Charlotte or any part of the US? Places where parents/adults struggle to put a roof over their heads, feed and clothe their children, pay utility bills?

Just because you don't see those people on a day to day basis doesn't mean out of sight, out of mind.

Even if the parents aren't responsible, e.g. alcoholics, drug addicts, prostitutes, absentee fathers, jailed, the child(ren) still should be entitled to an education and the resources to help them attain an education.

I won't debate about why parents aren't competent/responsible.

I think this saying says it all-
"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach that man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life. "

NC Penguin
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:54 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin .....
"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach that man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life. "
My point exactly. Schools should spend their efforts teaching children rather than feeding them!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
My point exactly. Schools should spend their efforts teaching children rather than feeding them!
I think you miss my point. A school day runs beyond just a few hours. Its duration occurs at meal times and so children should eat (and it's not like many can go home for lunch).

I really don't think it's that unreasonable for the state/county/city to pay for school meals if it means the children who receive such meals can get an education.

You really strike me as a person who lives in a proverbial castle.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

LOL jesus it all went tits up.......it should have read.......'I bet Pulaski was a milk monitor'

Its kind of got lost in the moment now

Rob

Yes, the thread does seem to have, er, moved on a bit since then, doesn't it? I bet he always got a second bun though, don't you?
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:33 pm

LOL jesus it all went tits up.......it should have read.......'I bet Pulaski was a milk monitor'

Its kind of got lost in the moment now

Rob
I don't remember that I ever was milk monitor, though I did sell chips at morning breaks for two and a half terms when I was ten, .... and I simultaneously helped run the school bank - mostly 10p and 20p deposits into an account linked to the Post Office / National Savings Bank.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

amys is an unknown quantity at this point

The help of tax dollars for school lunches should be your least of your worries.

How about an inmate getting free chemotherapy treatments while a patient I know has to pay for her chemo treatments cause she makes to much for medicaid. The patient has crappy insurance. Now how do you feel about this. School lunches are not so bad when you consider its part of the overall health of a child. Now do you want a child who does poorly in school and then it might lead to decreased socioeconomic situations for the child.

Yes, I do agree they should be educating our students more but the food is minor compare to the overall health of society. Thats my food for thought.

amy
Originally posted by Pulaski [/i]

When I was at school, it seemed to me that those pupils who got a "free lunch" were the ones least likely to eat it anyway. Therefore the well-intentioned free lunches didn't do much good.

Nuff said. [/QUOTE]
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by amys
The help of tax dollars for school lunches should be your least of your worries.

How about an inmate getting free chemotherapy treatments while a patient I know has to pay for her chemo treatments cause she makes to much for medicaid. The patient has crappy insurance. Now how do you feel about this. School lunches are not so bad when you consider its part of the overall health of a child. Now do you want a child who does poorly in school and then it might lead to decreased socioeconomic situations for the child.

Yes, I do agree they should be educating our students more but the food is minor compare to the overall health of society. Thats my food for thought.

amy
[/QUOTE]

And you know what? Doesn't education in schools cover health issues? e.g. sex education (US style), classes in nutrition and health maintenance.

Your post is worthy of a thread itself really.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

debs36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amy

I have to agree with you regarding the school lunches.

My children are fairly new in school and i was asked to deposit money into there account for school meals.

Being new to the American School system myself, i was told when account running low a letter would be sent home, so then i can come into school to top it up the funds.

But imagine this, my 5 year old came home and said they took her dinner off her at the till (i presume they throw it away)as she only had a small amount left on her account, but they would give her a sandwich instead. Now i was extremely cross, i was not told how much was left on her account, and had no idea how much she was spending (as meals will vary according to what they choose) so i went straight to the canteen, very angry that they choose to take a meal off a 5 year old, its bloody ridiculous, and very harsh- luckily she still too young to feel embrassed-but i certainly gave the Canteen Lady "what for" in the nicest way i could. I think i will revert to Sandwiches in the future.......it least i know they are getting a meal.

Obviously No note was passed to me by the School.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by debs36
Hi Amy

I have to agree with you regarding the school lunches.

My children are fairly new in school and i was asked to deposit money into there account for school meals.

Being new to the American School system myself, i was told when account running low a letter would be sent home, so then i can come into school to top it up the funds.

But imagine this, my 5 year old came home and said they took her dinner off her at the till (i presume they throw it away)as she only had a small amount left on her account, but they would give her a sandwich instead. Now i was extremely cross, i was not told how much was left on her account, and had no idea how much she was spending (as meals will vary according to what they choose) so i went straight to the canteen, very angry that they choose to take a meal off a 5 year old, its bloody ridiculous, and very harsh- luckily she still too young to feel embrassed-but i certainly gave the Canteen Lady "what for" in the nicest way i could. I think i will revert to Sandwiches in the future.......it least i know they are getting a meal.

Obviously No note was passed to me by the School.
Sounds like US schools are run along the lines of a business. The education element seems secondary.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Deb
Squirrel sandwiches are very nice, with a bit of Colmans...
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

debs36 is an unknown quantity at this point

ray

i dont mind the odd squirrel but im having great difficulty persuading my 5 year old!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:08 pm
Ray

Originally posted by debs36
ray

i dont mind the odd squirrel but im having great difficulty persuading my 5 year old!
Tell her its chicken...my mum alway did..and that was with possum