Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I need legal advice !

I need legal advice !

Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Mihaela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need legal advice !

Hello and thanks for taking time to read my true story.
Last Wednesday night my bf waited for me outside my job and after taking a walk we decided to have a drink at a new bar 4 business store from my job. I had on me the t-shirt from work...As we were sitting there, facing the ocean & talking we started kissing...nothing rude, we were not loud or anything like that...we were just kissing...The bartender then told us to stop because "people are having dinner " there...it was nobody eating around...the time was around 1 a.m. We agreeded with that...but we end up kissing again...as I said nothing indecent...then the owner of the bar came saying we have to leave . When my bf asked why, the owner said " I don't like your party" and he pointed his finger at my bg being really loud...he also said he doesn't want me there as he's under the same corporation with the store i got my job in ( as I said I was wearing my work t-shirt....which they also have for sale...so..wearing that t-shirt it's not a proof I work there ) . My bf said he's not leaving and the owner called the police...the police officer told us we have to leave...he still didn't sign a report ....as with what we were wrong . I have to mention we are a mix couple - i'm white and my bf is black ... and I strongly believe that's why he kicked us out.
Next day ..Thursday it was my day off and went to pick up my money...my manager was not there and I decided to wait till Friday...Friday when I got back to work she pointed her finger at me, gave me the most mean look i ever seen , told me it's good that I came so I can take my money and that I CANNOT WORK THERE anymore as for what happened in that bar , that night . She asked me if I knew they are under the same corporation ( which is a big, big lie ) and thaqt I was not supposed to wear that t-shiret there ( she again didn't tell me that at the beginning of my employment ) . She was going to pay me cash which I also refused and...put me to wait another 3 days till I finally get a pay check...and she still owns me money .
I can't believe that I got fired that way and I want to ask somebody that may have legal studies if this is legal ...I feel I was discriminated and it's not right to fire me coz i was kissing my bf after hours, in another location ...I'm very upset and I already sent a complaint at the Division of Wages and hour Compensation . I'm in the state of New Jersey and just because I'm an international student here doesn't mean they have to treat me that way .
What would u guys do in my case ?? Thanks for reading this .
...before the police came the bartender took the beer from us and they said we were trespassing...we paid for the drinks and that's just another lie .
Is there any law in America saying DO NOT KISS in public ???
I feel the owner of the guy hated us for being mix ..he is friend with my manager ( I didn't know that ) and to fire me like that is just wrong ..The way he yell at my bf was just wrong and...when I went to pick up the check she made me go back there 3 times and told me to wait outside...every time an average of 30 min. She treated me like a dog !
What do u think about this ? Is there any legal action I can take about this matter ? Can we call it wrongful termination ? And is it fair to kick somebody from the bar just bacause u have racial issues ? I'm very upset...somebody please help ! Thank you !
Mihaela
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Mihaela is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh..Sorry..she also have ilegal people working there..her sister came in the U.S. on a turist visa which she told me it's done...and she works there !
Is there any justice in all this ?