Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I moved last month and I have still so many questions

I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Old Apr 15th 2021, 1:54 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Hi everyone!! Nice to meet you. I am a EU national that resided in the UK for the last 6 years and then moved to the US last month under a spousal visa.

My god I still have so many questions.... Im sorry if what I am asking is obvious, I have read the wiki and last pages but still so many doubts...

1. So I am still employed by my UK employer for the next 5 months. I submited my P85 without the P45 and noting the reason. My understading is that hmrc will either give my employer a NT code or I will be taxed normally if I go above the allowance. I then will have to submit a self assessment for next year ( wich i cannot do online) and claim relief under double taxation treaty. Did I understand this correctly?

2. What happens with NI? Do they stop as part of the P85? (I see many of you do voluntary contributions, I will need to read on this later).

2. My employer is paying me in pounds in a uk bank account. And I am not self employed. How do I go about paying IRS? Should we increase the contributions of my spouse( we will file jointly) to avoid penalties and then at the end of the year I declare my pounds to the IRS?

3. This is more of a rant than a question. Ive just finally managed to get my resume to american standards after many attempts. But the jobs im interviewing for offer 10 days of leave. 10...miserable days.
I knew it was bad here but I was hoping 15-20 days was becoming more the norm for skilled labour. I know this is super personal and there is no right answer but in your experience do you suggest I bite the bullet for few years until I have US experience under my belt and then shop around? Or should i try negotiate? Or should I accept reality?

Thanks everyone!
Daymoth is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 1:59 am
  #2  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Woops I forgot the most important question. I miss clotted cream, help me what do I do???
Daymoth is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:10 am
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,549
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

The best thing for you to do is get off the UK payroll and work for them as a contractor. That way you'll receive payment in USD and can report it on your tax return. Your spouse doesn't have to change anything.

10 days of PTO is pretty normal for a new job. I doubt you can negotiate. You will also probably get 8 days off as paid holiday per year, so that's not bad. Perhaps vacation days will increase the longer you are with the company. I've been working for the same company 30 years and I get 5 weeks a year.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:10 am
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,549
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth View Post
Woops I forgot the most important question. I miss clotted cream, help me what do I do???
Buy online?

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:17 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
The best thing for you to do is get off the UK payroll and work for them as a contractor. That way you'll receive payment in USD and can report it on your tax return. Your spouse doesn't have to change anything.

10 days of PTO is pretty normal for a new job. I doubt you can negotiate. You will also probably get 8 days off as paid holiday per year, so that's not bad. Perhaps vacation days will increase the longer you are with the company. I've been working for the same company 30 years and I get 5 weeks a year.

Rene
Yeah they dont really do the contractor thing so im stuck with what I have. So how do i deal with the tax thing?

Ughh seems I must learn to accept the reality of 10 days... (I am too european yet to treat paid bank holidays as a perk and not a minimum human right lol! ). Maybe i need a part time job but I dont see many.
Daymoth is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:18 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Buy online?

Rene
Everything I see has bad reviews from British people. Any recomendation?
Daymoth is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:22 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,162
neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth View Post
3. This is more of a rant than a question. Ive just finally managed to get my resume to american standards after many attempts. But the jobs im interviewing for offer 10 days of leave. 10...miserable days.
I knew it was bad here but I was hoping 15-20 days was becoming more the norm for skilled labour. I know this is super personal and there is no right answer but in your experience do you suggest I bite the bullet for few years until I have US experience under my belt and then shop around? Or should i try negotiate? Or should I accept reality?
Thanks everyone!
What industry are you in? In mine, 15 is a starting point, and usually comes with other freebie days. In white collar jobs it is common to 'accrue' vacation days after certain milestone periods of employment (e.g. 5 years gets you an extra paid week). Also, unpaid vacation can be requested. TBH if you are moving here, i wouldn't let any of that bother you or it will simply wear you down. Work around it and don't just take the first job you are offered.
Also get used to 'at will' employment, which is employment without a contract, which in most white collar roles sounds way worse than it is.
neill is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:32 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by neill View Post
What industry are you in? In mine, 15 is a starting point, and usually comes with other freebie days. In white collar jobs it is common to 'accrue' vacation days after certain milestone periods of employment (e.g. 5 years gets you an extra paid week). Also, unpaid vacation can be requested. TBH if you are moving here, i wouldn't let any of that bother you or it will simply wear you down. Work around it and don't just take the first job you are offered.
Also get used to 'at will' employment, which is employment without a contract, which in most white collar roles sounds way worse than it is.
You give me hope, thanks so much! And is great to hear that unpaid leave is acceptable and they will not only sack me for asking. I am in engineering but my experience is a bit strange, ive moved industries several times and ended up being a sort of technical project manager meets (non IT) systems engineer. So I am looking in construction, engineering and "county council" type of jobs.

Yes the at will thing sounds terryfiying lol!
Daymoth is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:40 am
  #9  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,549
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth View Post
Everything I see has bad reviews from British people. Any recomendation?
No, sorry... I'm not British and don't know where one would get clotted cream.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:41 am
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,549
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth View Post
Yeah they dont really do the contractor thing so im stuck with what I have. So how do i deal with the tax thing?

Ughh seems I must learn to accept the reality of 10 days... (I am too european yet to treat paid bank holidays as a perk and not a minimum human right lol! ). Maybe i need a part time job but I dont see many.
You will report your income in USD when it comes time to file a US tax return. There is a form to fill out so you don't get double taxed, but I'll let more knowledgeable folks give details.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:06 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 211
steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Clotted cream is the easiest thing in the world to make. One ingredient. One dish. 12 hours in the oven at 180f.

Which industry are you in? I started at 17 days PTO and am now at 25. I work for a company that is headquartered in Europe. That may or may not have an impact on the PTO offerings.
steph0scope is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:50 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
You will report your income in USD when it comes time to file a US tax return. There is a form to fill out so you don't get double taxed, but I'll let more knowledgeable folks give details.

Rene
Sorry I was not clear, my question is:
Do I need to report to IRS in installments (monthly, quarterly) to avoid getting fined even if im not self employed since my employer will not be making monthly payments to the IRS. And if yes, what is the best way to do it if im not self employed.

Ta!
Daymoth is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 5:28 am
  #13  
Boomshacalaca!!
 
Tarkak9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: South of the North Pole.......Colorado
Posts: 5,065
Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth View Post
Woops I forgot the most important question. I miss clotted cream, help me what do I do???
I have found it sometimes in Cost Plus/World Market .... other sort of european market stores or "upperscale" food stores; even specialty cheese stores may carry it. I think I once saw it in Whole Foods but don't hold me to that!
Tarkak9 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 5:32 am
  #14  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,818
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by Daymoth View Post
Sorry I was not clear, my question is:
Do I need to report to IRS in installments (monthly, quarterly) to avoid getting fined even if im not self employed since my employer will not be making monthly payments to the IRS. And if yes, what is the best way to do it if im not self employed.

Ta!
I pay quarterly estimated payments to the IRS on my UK income. (April 15th, June 15th, September 15th and January 15th are the dates payments are made)
lansbury is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2021, 5:34 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 14
Daymoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I moved last month and I have still so many questions

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
I pay quarterly estimated payments to the IRS on my UK income.
Do you use the same process as if you were self imployed? Or how do you go about it?

Thankyou!
Daymoth is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.