Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love LA ( Boyz N the Hood)

I love LA ( Boyz N the Hood)

Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:02 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love LA ( Boyz N the Hood)

Originally Posted by syllk
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that. If hub's relatives (his family is actually you and your kids) thinks that murder, rape and paedopihlia is a normal everyday occurrence, then something is very wrong in their heads. Or your story.
I'm not asking you to buy anything. Believe what you will.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Looks alot like downtown DC, a place I would never ever go to alone in the "safety" of my car or not. In fact there are many places near to where I live that I will not go to just because I don't feel safe, that was something I never felt at home either.

You can be in a really nice, safe neighbourhood....make a turn and boom you've hit a street just like the ones in Lionheart's pics. In the UK there was a gradual decline from a good neighbourhood but here it seems to be instant.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:03 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

You have family in Texas? Aren't you from the UK, or did you all come over here together?
Yes, I have family in Texas. Yes, I'm from the UK. They came over here about 20 years ago, my Aunt married a Yank.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:04 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can be in a really nice, safe neighbourhood....make a turn and boom you've hit a street just like the ones in Lionheart's pics. In the UK there was a gradual decline from a good neighbourhood but here it seems to be instant.
Yes, that's very true.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:04 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I lived in DC for a year and honestly Downtown DC is no more dangerous than anywhere in London. You just have to keep your wits about you as you do anywhere really.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:06 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'm not asking you to buy anything. Believe what you will.
I will, thanks, and I believe that things have either been embellished, or made up. I've never met one single serious crime victim before, yet you've managed to have the whole lock, stock and two smoking barrels, in the face, and, as you mentioned earlier, that's just to name a few. What a life.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:09 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, can't believe Partystar's story, sorry if I've brought back some bad memories.
I just happened to be in South Central and part of my job involves taking digital pictures of properties, so I continued to take some pictures of the surrounding area.
My point was just to show people that go on about the neighborhood teenagers in the UK, they must leave etc. what real rat and drug infested areas are like. As I said in my original post, these few pictures don't capture the oppressive heat, pungent smells, smog and feeling of menace and misery of many parts of LA - and that was during daylight.
I've been in bad parts of Brum such as Handsworth, Small Heath, Aston and it's nowhere near the total misery of South Central.
Just wanted to show the flip-side of the usual Beverley Hills, Malibu image that we see representing daily LA life in the glossy magazines and silver screen, not really sure why.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:10 am
Back where I belong!

I will, thanks, and I believe that things have either been embellished, or made up. I've never met one single serious crime victim before, yet you've managed to have the whole lock, stock and two smoking barrels, in the face, and, as you mentioned earlier, that's just to name a few. What a life.
Nope, but then again, it's just my word & what's that worth on an internet forum, nowt! Only those who have met me & know me well will know that I speak only the truth.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:11 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Wow, can't believe Partystar's story, sorry if I've brought back some bad memories.
I can't, either.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's very true.
IMHO the reason it seems safer in parts of the US than the UK, is here the bad guys tend to stay in their own areas, not stray into the better areas because they tend to have a high police presence.

The opposite is true in the UK, criminals target the better areas because they know they will find richer pickings, with little/no intervention from the police.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:23 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that certainly would be very bad luck, but that's where it actually happened, I used to live there for a while when I was 15. I still have friends & family there, so I went back for a visit & happened to see him.
Partystar -

I've worked for the past 15 years as an advocate and liaison to victims of domestic violence and rape in Texas. The statute of limitations is often waived in cases where the victim was a minor at the time of these types of crimes. If you know who this individual is and where he resides ..... you have the right (and the responsibility) to bring charges against him now. I don't know where this happened but we have a network here in Texas and I can put you in contact with the people you need to talk to ..... people that will bring this monster to justice. Rest assured, you were not his only victim and you could save another young girl from the same fate. Let me know if I can help you in any way... I realize that you have things in perspective and are in a "good place" now.... however, it is very healthy and empowering to confront your attacker - no matter how long ago the rape may have happened.

XXXX
Leslie
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I managed to avoid them for years, but I want to visit my friends & family & most of them don't even own a passport, let alone have the money to come see me.

I applaud you Liz. If I this had happened to me I would never want to set foot on US soil again.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lionheart
My point was just to show people that go on about the neighborhood teenagers in the UK, they must leave etc.
Who are these, because I have never really seen any examples of it on this forum.

I fancy experiencing the US, but I'm certainly not under the illusion that the bad areas of the UK are even close to the severity and depression of the bad areas of the US, where poverty is present on a much higher scale and hence there is much more desperateness.

The UK chavs etc. are a pain in the arse and a signifcant black mark on British society that is getting worse but in most cases they generally represent common antisocial problems amongst youngsters (underage drinking, smoking, trouble causing etc.) that the US suffers as well but with a whole other level beneath.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:39 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Partystar -

I've worked for the past 15 years as an advocate and liaison to victims of domestic violence and rape in Texas. The statute of limitations is often waived in cases where the victim was a minor at the time of these types of crimes. If you know who this individual is and where he resides ..... you have the right (and the responsibility) to bring charges against him now. I don't know where this happened but we have a network here in Texas and I can put you in contact with the people you need to talk to ..... people that will bring this monster to justice. Rest assured, you were not his only victim and you could save another young girl from the same fate. Let me know if I can help you in any way... I realize that you have things in perspective and are in a "good place" now.... however, it is very healthy and empowering to confront your attacker - no matter how long ago the rape may have happened.

XXXX
Leslie
I've sent you a PM.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 1:47 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob B
Who are these, because I have never really seen any examples of it on this forum.

I fancy experiencing the US, but I'm certainly not under the illusion that the bad areas of the UK are even close to the severity and depression of the bad areas of the US, where poverty is present on a much higher scale and hence there is much more desperateness.

The UK chavs etc. are a pain in the arse and a signifcant black mark on British society that is getting worse but in most cases they generally represent common antisocial problems amongst youngsters (underage drinking, smoking, trouble causing etc.) that the US suffers as well but with a whole other level beneath.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Do a search. I agree with the rest, isn't that kind of the point I was making

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.