Reload this Page >

I Got A Job !!

I Got A Job !!

Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

SunnyDave is on a distinguished road
Default I Got A Job !!

Hiya folks

Just wanted to share my relief that I started a new job today, my first since moving to the States and just wanted to share a bit of advice I was given.

As a lot of us know, the job market sucks at the moment so I went to a Jobfair a few weeks ago - 90 employers, lots of crap jobs & duff information etc etc. But one thing I was told by a very helpful recruiter was regarding sending online resumes. She told me that even if the advert doesnt state it, most resumes are scanned & rejected for various reasons including a lack of 'buzz words' within it and only a tiny proportion actually get through to be read by a recruiter to make a personal decison on. I was advised to apply in person to the specific office or a branch of the company as this has a much higher chance of getting in the hands of the recruitment manager for them to review personally. Simple and common sense but something which I'm sure some people may have overlooked, myself included, I was merrily sending off my resume online to all manner of companies for several types of jobs but had only got 1 interview.

I then went to SunTrust Banks' HQ in Orlando and asked to apply for an advertised position, completed an application form, handed that over along with my resume, list of references with phone & fax numbers, waited 5 mins, saw an HR person who offered me a job there & then (but it was for a call centre position that I wasnt interested in) and I asked to be considered for the role I was applying for. After a couple of days, 2 interviews were lined up for similar roles at 2 branches and I was offered the more senior role of a Financial Services Rep Supervisor, basically running the front office team in a branch, something I did about 3 years ago in England.

The pay isn't as good as what I used to be on, starting at $32000 plus bonuses (saves responding to the other thread on incomes which I wouldn't have been able to do until today) but we will have the all important benefits, which look to be pretty good. There is also a lot of scope for career development which I am happy about.

Just wanted to share my success story (after a number of disasters - dad dying one month after moving here, wife suffering a bad reaction to change of depression medication and ending up in hospital for 5 days, my son hitting the terrible 2's <shudder>, rejected for numerous jobs over the last couple of months etc etc).

I know a lot of you won't be interested anyway but I felt I wanted to share my first real success since moving here.

David
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:11 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Congratulations
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. I know it's a big relief to get that sorted out.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

WTG !!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:36 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you, mate. Congratulations!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Re: I Got A Job !!

Congratulations Dave
Thanks for the tips! Just wondering- did you use references who live in the UK or in the US?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:29 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Dave...I'm so happy for you. It gives you a real sense of achievement doesn't it? At last you have your foot in the door.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. Glad you have had some good news at last.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:34 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! I've been taking resumes around these past few weeks, hopefully something will pay off soon

Debbie
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SunnyDave
Hiya folks

Just wanted to share my relief that I started a new job today, my first since moving to the States and just wanted to share a bit of advice I was given.

I know a lot of you won't be interested anyway but I felt I wanted to share my first real success since moving here.

David
First of all congratulations David, I understand the relief you feel. Also, thanks a lot for giving the information you did. My husband had been sending out tons of online resumes, not one response! I had a feeling that it needed to be done the old fashioned way!
Anyway, best of luck in your new job.

Lisa
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

andy kerry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SunnyDave
Hiya folks

As a lot of us know, the job market sucks at the moment so I went to a Jobfair a few weeks ago - 90 employers, lots of crap jobs & duff information etc etc. But one thing I was told by a very helpful recruiter was regarding sending online resumes. She told me that even if the advert doesnt state it, most resumes are scanned & rejected for various reasons including a lack of 'buzz words' within it and only a tiny proportion actually get through to be read by a recruiter to make a personal decison on. I was advised to apply in person to the specific office or a branch of the company as this has a much higher chance of getting in the hands of the recruitment manager for them to review personally. Simple and common sense but something which I'm sure some people may have overlooked, myself included, I was merrily sending off my resume online to all manner of companies for several types of jobs but had only got 1 interview.

I then went to SunTrust Banks' HQ in Orlando and asked to apply for an advertised position, completed an application form, handed that over along with my resume, list of references with phone & fax numbers, waited 5 mins, saw an HR person who offered me a job there & then (but it was for a call centre position that I wasnt interested in) and I asked to be considered for the role I was applying for. After a couple of days, 2 interviews were lined up for similar roles at 2 branches and I was offered the more senior role of a Financial Services Rep Supervisor, basically running the front office team in a branch, something I did about 3 years ago in England.

The pay isn't as good as what I used to be on, starting at $32000 plus bonuses (saves responding to the other thread on incomes which I wouldn't have been able to do until today) but we will have the all important benefits, which look to be pretty good. There is also a lot of scope for career development which I am happy about.

Just wanted to share my success story (after a number of disasters - dad dying one month after moving here, wife suffering a bad reaction to change of depression medication and ending up in hospital for 5 days, my son hitting the terrible 2's <shudder>, rejected for numerous jobs over the last couple of months etc etc).

David

fantastic well done it gives us all a boost