Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I got asked.....

I got asked.....

Old May 10th 2010, 11:12 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got asked.....

Originally Posted by penguinsix
When I was having dinner as a guest at one of the Inns of Court in London someone asked me, in all seriousness, whether Baywatch was a realistic portrayal of Southern California.
..to which your answer should be - "it depends on which part of the body you're referring to.."
Old May 14th 2010, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Talking Re: I got asked.....

Originally Posted by penguinsix
When I was having dinner as a guest at one of the Inns of Court in London someone asked me, in all seriousness, whether Baywatch was a realistic portrayal of Southern California.
Just like people think Home and Away, Neighbours, Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin portray typical Australia!
Old May 14th 2010, 1:44 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Just like people think Home and Away, Neighbours, Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin portray typical Australia!
Aren't they o.O
Old May 14th 2010, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Aren't they o.O
Skippy?
Old May 14th 2010, 4:52 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Skippy?
*Boing boing boing*

On an unrelated note, my polish plumber told me I had "The lovely English accent"

I hope he doesn't mess with too many of my pipes
Old May 17th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by N1cky
Someone from the UK asked me when we moved here 'I know Chris ***** he moved out to LA 10 years ago, do you know him?' and I do know him
I like your towel!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

UNEDITED quote from someone who was asked why she wanted to move to London....

LOL I don't know. Many reasons, I want a British accent, take a pic in front of Buckingham Palace, SHOP, drive on the other side of the road, share a passionate kiss in front of the Eiffel tower with my ex, SHOP and eat beignets. Hmmm I don't know if those are reasons to move there maybe a visit? LOL
PS, have NO idea what beignets are....
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
UNEDITED quote from someone who was asked why she wanted to move to London....

PS, have NO idea what beignets are....
A beignet (pronounced /bɛnˈjeɪ/, French for "fried dough") in the U.S. is a pastry made from deep-fried dough, much like a doughnut, and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar, or frostings. Savory versions of beignets are also popular as an appetizer, with fillings such as maple or fruit preserves.

In France, beignet is an umbrella term for a large variety of pastries made from deep-fried dough with fruit filling. The tradition of deep-frying fruits for a side dish dates to the time of Ancient Rome. Names for beignet recipes vary throughout France: beignets, bugnes, merveilles, oreillettes, beignets de carnaval, bottereaux, tourtisseaux, corvechets, ganses, nouets, vautes and others.

The term beignet can be applied to two varieties, depending on the type of pastry. The French doughnut beignet in the United States is simply a deep-fried choux pastry; this variety is very similar to Italian zeppole or the German spritzkuchen. Also, beignets can be made with yeast pastry, which might be called boules de Berlin in French, referring to Berliner doughnuts which have a spherical shape (i.e. they do not have the typical doughnut hole) filled with fruit or jam. This variety is similar to the Polish pączki and to the Portuguese Bola de Berlim.

The western parts of Germany use the term beignet for variants having a fruit filling while referring to other variants as Krapfen.

In the US, beignets are associated with the city of New Orleans where they are served at restaurants such as Café du Monde. They are also the official state doughnut of Louisiana.

In Corsica, beignets made with chestnut flour (Beignets de farine de châtaigne) are known as fritelli.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
A beignet (pronounced /bɛnˈjeɪ/, French for "fried dough") in the U.S. is a pastry made from deep-fried dough, much like a doughnut, and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar, or frostings. Savory versions of beignets are also popular as an appetizer, with fillings such as maple or fruit preserves.

In France, beignet is an umbrella term for a large variety of pastries made from deep-fried dough with fruit filling. The tradition of deep-frying fruits for a side dish dates to the time of Ancient Rome. Names for beignet recipes vary throughout France: beignets, bugnes, merveilles, oreillettes, beignets de carnaval, bottereaux, tourtisseaux, corvechets, ganses, nouets, vautes and others.

The term beignet can be applied to two varieties, depending on the type of pastry. The French doughnut beignet in the United States is simply a deep-fried choux pastry; this variety is very similar to Italian zeppole or the German spritzkuchen. Also, beignets can be made with yeast pastry, which might be called boules de Berlin in French, referring to Berliner doughnuts which have a spherical shape (i.e. they do not have the typical doughnut hole) filled with fruit or jam. This variety is similar to the Polish pączki and to the Portuguese Bola de Berlim.

The western parts of Germany use the term beignet for variants having a fruit filling while referring to other variants as Krapfen.

In the US, beignets are associated with the city of New Orleans where they are served at restaurants such as Café du Monde. They are also the official state doughnut of Louisiana.

In Corsica, beignets made with chestnut flour (Beignets de farine de châtaigne) are known as fritelli.
Amazing...did you write the Wiki?? It said EXACTLY the same!!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Amazing...did you write the Wiki?? It said EXACTLY the same!!
Where did you think they got it from ..
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Beignets oh yes please!!! Cafe du Monde would be great but right now would settle for Huey's on the River here in Savannah. Sitting there in the bar area EARLY before the tourists are stirring, watching the BIG boats come down the river and going under the bridge.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Beignets oh yes please!!! Cafe du Monde would be great but right now would settle for Huey's on the River here in Savannah. Sitting there in the bar area EARLY before the tourists are stirring, watching the BIG boats come down the river and going under the bridge.
Oh yeah, just reminded me of something
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
oh i had forgot about the queen question, yes i have been asked if i ever met or went to tea with the queen (which i havent)

I had one customer who started off well..."I know london very well, its a lovely place to visit" and ended the conversation badly by saying "Londons the capital of france isnt it?"

I get asked other things all the time like "what is the word for..." or "in england do they grow..." or "why arent more english people *large*?"

Ive been asked if im Polish, French, German, Swedish and I always get aksed if im Australian....but never get asked if im English.

My favourite recently though is "why dont you speak with an american accent if your english?"
I replied "because i have an english accent"
customer said "Oh, i though english was american, doesnt everyone in england sound like we do or do they all sound like you?"

Classic. I haven't been asked the queen question yet (probably because I'm Scottish and round here most people seem able to differentiate between Scottish and English accents, though they generally plump for Australian). I'm sunk if I ever do get tat question though, since I have actually met the queen.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I had that down here in MA, bloke asked me if I knew this chap out in ME because I lived there...freakishly I did, he was our neighbour...very weird
That's happened to my dad - got chatting to some random bloke on holiday, and discovered he knew his brother.

My mum complains you can't take my dad anywhere but he meets someone he knows!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I was at a Garage sale today and the young daughter of the family holding the sale asked me if I was from Poland because I sounded like a neighbour they had
Thats the 12th time this week I have been asked "Where are you from", I keep a running count just for my own boredom in my mileage book in the car I just put a check mark in there next to the day and add them up every week
It is always strange to me when i am in Scotland and no-one asks me where I am from.................if nothing else it is a great conversation starter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.